4-3 and 3-4 both possibilities with next Defensive Cord.

TEK2000

Reaction score
Juke99;1304549 said:
Putting Ware at LB and watching him cover a TE 15 yards downfield is like hooking Secretariat up to a plow.

Great analogy... one of the best I've seen in a while! :bow:

the kid 05

Individuals play the game, but teams beat the odds
Reaction score
Dale;1304560 said:
The problem with Ware at OLB in the 4-3 is that the Cowboys still have no real pass-rushing presence up front. And it's much more standard to "rush" an OLB in the 3-4 than it is to blitz one in the 4-3. They'd have to send five people every play practically to have any shot at a pass rush.

but the D-line wouldn't get double sometime triple teamed meaning someone will get a one on one match up allowing a possible man handling (haha hopefully for us) and a sack/fumble/lost of yards

ABQCOWBOY

Regular Joe....
Reaction score
MichaelWinicki;1304486 said:
Exactly.

My feeling is that both Canty and Spears would make fine 4-3 DT's.

I'm with you Mike. In a 43, speed off the edge is the death stroke to the opposition. That comes from the DE position. In a 34, it's the OLB. Ware might be able to play OLB in a 43 but it would be a real waste to play him there. In a 43, I think Burnett makes an excellent OLB. I think Carp can play either inside or outside. Same with Ayodele. Ferguson makes an excellent 1 Technique, Spears moves to 3 technique (which suites him better IMO) and Probably Hatcher as the LDE. I think that would be a pretty good defensive unit.

Bob Sacamano

Benched
Reaction score
MichaelWinicki;1304486 said:
Exactly.

My feeling is that both Canty and Spears would make fine 4-3 DT's.

actually Canty would make for a fine LDE, as his height will allow him to bat passes at the LOS, remember he still has problems gaining leverage, which you really need to do as a DT

smarta5150

Mr. Wright
Reaction score
Sorry kid but the majority is right.

Ware would have to be the 4-3 DE.

The guy is a pass rusher, yes he can do it all but let him do it all from the 3-4.

Spears is too damn slow to be a good or even average 4-3 DE. Even Canty would be too slow for a pass rushing DE.

They would both be inside along with Ferguson.

I'd rather see Akin inside, Carp and Burnett outside. Gives us a lot more speed then when James is in.

StanleySpadowski

Reaction score
ABQCOWBOY;1304672 said:
I'm with you Mike. In a 43, speed off the edge is the death stroke to the opposition. That comes from the DE position. In a 34, it's the OLB. Ware might be able to play OLB in a 43 but it would be a real waste to play him there. In a 43, I think Burnett makes an excellent OLB. I think Carp can play either inside or outside. Same with Ayodele. Ferguson makes an excellent 1 Technique, Spears moves to 3 technique (which suites him better IMO) and Probably Hatcher as the LDE. I think that would be a pretty good defensive unit.

I don't know, watch what Ware does as a 4-3 OLB in the Pro Bowl.

I'm willing to bet that he'll make a play or two that will impress everyone and it won't be rushing the passer thanks to the limited blitz rule they use.

ABQCOWBOY

Regular Joe....
Reaction score
StanleySpadowski;1304683 said:

I'm willing to bet that he'll make a play or two that will impress everyone and it won't be rushing the passer thanks to the limited blitz rule they use.

I'm certain he could be a Pro Bowl calibur player at OLB in a 43. However, the hardest position to fill in a 43 is RDE. If you have a guy who can dominate at that position, you have a player that can be a HOF type player.

I kind of liken it to Babe Ruth in Boston. He was really a pretty good pitcher and probably could have been a good player had he stayed at that position. However, moving him to the outfield and trading him to the Yanks made him the Babe.

TEK2000

Reaction score

Good point.. just another reason for Cowboys fans to watch the Pro Bowl this season.

the kid 05

Reaction score

i shall...tell then....you all win :eek:: for now

Smith22

Reaction score
Doubt we have a 4-3 unless BP leaves, but if we did, this seems best to me:

FS-Watkins
SS-Williams
WLB-Burnett
MLB-James/Carp
SLB-Ayodele/Carp
DE-Ware
DT-Fergy
DT-Spears/Canty
DE-Hatcher

the kid 05

Reaction score
Smith22;1304880 said:
Doubt we have a 4-3 unless BP leaves, but if we did, this seems best to me:

FS-Watkins
SS-Williams
WLB-Burnett
MLB-James/Carp
SLB-Ayodele/Carp
DE-Ware
DT-Fergy
DT-Spears/Canty
DE-Hatcher

most people will say james is a no go and move ayodele to MLB and Carp to starter and agree with Ware at DE...i'm not just yet

Smith22

Reaction score
the kid 05;1304883 said:
most people will say james is a no go and move ayodele to MLB and Carp to starter and agree with Ware at DE...i'm not just yet

It would come down to whether or not Carp could play MLB. I would like his speed there, just not sure if he would wear down or not. I agree, Ayodele can play either MLB or OLB.

DALLAS D

Reaction score
Im reading on ESPN that Zimmers officially hired. Anyone else hear that?

the kid 05

Reaction score
DALLAS D;1304894 said:
Im reading on ESPN that Zimmers officially hired. Anyone else hear that?

yeah check out the Article Zone a.k.a. Daily Zone Forum

StanleySpadowski

Reaction score
ABQCOWBOY;1304715 said:
I'm certain he could be a Pro Bowl calibur player at OLB in a 43. However, the hardest position to fill in a 43 is RDE. If you have a guy who can dominate at that position, you have a player that can be a HOF type player.

I kind of liken it to Babe Ruth in Boston. He was really a pretty good pitcher and probably could have been a good player had he stayed at that position. However, moving him to the outfield and trading him to the Yanks made him the Babe.

I'd argue that the hardest position to fill if you want a dominant 4-3 is MLB.;)

Chuck 54

Reaction score
big dog cowboy;1304528 said:
Charles Haley 6' 5" 245 pounds
DeMarcus Ware 6" 4" 257 pounds

Jason Taylor, defensive player of the year in the NFL, plays DE at 255.

It can be a liability on the goal line, but then you bring in someone else and play him at another position....it does no good to switch to a 4-3 if you don't have pass rushing DE's.

By the way, look for Zimmer to do very well in Atlanta...he does a very good job with the 4-3, and he has DE's there that can get after the QB.

burmafrd

Reaction score
From someone who did not study Ruths career. He set a record for scoreless innings in the World Series that was not broken for something like 60 years. His record when he went to the outfield full time was 94-46 with an ERA of 2.28. And he was only 23 when he quit pitching. Odds are he would have been a 300 game winner.

dbair1967

Arch Defender
Reaction score
theogt;1304442 said:
Chris Canty and Marcus Spears aren't 4-3 defensive ends. Jason Hatcher and DeMarcus Ware are.

:confused:

he was a 4-3 DE is entire career at LSU, and very good at it

he mostly played LDE as I recall

David

Eddie

Reaction score
MichaelWinicki;1304483 said:
I quit reading when I saw "94" at LB in the 4-3...

I agree. No way do we keep Ware at OLB in a 4-3 scheme.

He's smaller than the normal DE, but that's fine. He's still a primier pass rusher.

Move him to DE, Spears moves inside to DT next to Ferguson. Canty and Hatcher will man the other DE spot.

Not a big deal. Small realignment.