4 and out - nearly impossible to do

Nexx

Reaction score
Dude that pass to Turpin was an absolute dime. He didn't need no circus catch to make that. NFL receivers make that catch 99 out of 100 times. The ball fell out of the sky right into his hands. Criticize Dak away for all the other things that went wrong in that game but that pass was great. At some point we need to ask the other guys on the team to do their jobs too. Especially the offensive line

Agree with you on that pass to Turpin. Now 99 out of 100 is dumb. 1 out of 4 attempts that were catchable is unacceptable. Keep your boy accountable and stop making all the excuses in the world for him

RonnieT24

Reaction score
His right foot wasn't going to land in bounds even if he had pulled it in. That's not an easy catch to make, and the decision to try that throw given the circumstances wasn't a good one.
1st down: should've been intercepted, game over.
2nd down: bad pass to an open guy if I remember right.
3rd down: high risk pass over two defenders to a shorter receiver skating the sideline
4th down: mid range pass to Brooks who wasn't open. Poor throw.

That's not even accounting for the fact that when our defense was getting pummeled in the 3rd, the offense was going 3 and out every single drive. Fact of the matter is the defense gifted the ball back to the offense with plenty of time to work with, and 4 passing plays later, the 9ers had the ball back. I'd say the team did enough to win and in the end, QB1 let them down.
We will just have to agree to disagree on that play. And it was not over two defenders. The second defender was in now way in position to get involved in the play. I agree the decision was questionable but there was nothing wrong with the pass.

noshame

I'm not dead yet......
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
There's always people open in our offense. It's just a matter of whether or not a Dak has the guts to squeeze the ball in there. he will not do it.
That's why twenty quarterbacks can be good in college and not make it in the pros. In college, you have separation, in the pros, you have a tight window.

You can help this by scrambling and creating separation with extra time. Dak can no longer do that.

Cmac

Reaction score
Dude that pass to Turpin was an absolute dime. He didn't need no circus catch to make that. NFL receivers make that catch 99 out of 100 times. The ball fell out of the sky right into his hands. Criticize Dak away for all the other things that went wrong in that game but that pass was great. At some point we need to ask the other guys on the team to do their jobs too. Especially the offensive line.
May sound like an excuse for Dak on this board.......but we're asking our QB to do a lot with very little......last in redzone action, last in rushing, only one WR that gets schemed against. We are a bad team and if many can only suggest Dak, they simply can't handle the truth. Have no problem with Dak being critiqued and he deserves such. And if people can tell me a current NFL QB could do something favorable and consistent with this offensive roster, it's play, and coaching......call him a Miracle Worker.

Taking a similar page from the former TB Bucs coach......the late John McKay......if someone were to ask about the offense......Simply say it's offensive. Youngsters......google John McKay.

G2

Taco Engineer
Reaction score
May sound like an excuse for Dak on this board.......but we're asking our QB to do a lot with very little......last in redzone action, last in rushing, only one WR that gets schemed against. We are a bad team and if many can only suggest Dak, they simply can't handle the truth. Have no problem with Dak being critiqued and he deserves such. And if people can tell me a current NFL QB could do something favorable and consistent with this offensive roster, it's play, and coaching......call him a Miracle Worker.

Taking a similar page from the former TB Bucs coach......the late John McKay......if someone were to ask about the offense......Simply say it's offensive. Youngsters......google John McKay.
It's lazy to not see the list of issues with this team. Low football IQ fans tend to start all these Dak threads as if he's the only issue. You said it, the roster is terrible around him.

diamonddelts

Reaction score

No one wants to hear this tired excuse anymore. We've seen Dak with the best WR1/WR2 combo in the N.F.L. We have seen Dak with a top five offensive line in years past. And we have seen Dak with a league leading rusher.

And we have seen Dak when the Cowboys defense put on a brilliant performance for 3 quarters against the 49ers in their second playoff meeting. The end result is always the same.

Cmac

Reaction score
No one wants to hear this tired excuse anymore. We've seen Dak with the best WR1/WR2 combo in the N.F.L. We have seen Dak with a top five offensive line in years past. And we have seen Dak with a league leading rusher.

The end result is always the same.
We saw the same with Romo......and yes....the end result is always the same.

Creeper

Reaction score
If you go look at teams, look at the ball one last time in the game the chances of them not making a first down are probably under 10% due to the prevent defense.

Dak found a way to overcome those odds.
I don't think the 49ers were in a prevent defense at that point. But Point taken.

kskboys

Reaction score
Nope.. the ball hit him in the hands. It really could not have been thrown much better. At the risk of sounding immodest I would have caught that ball. Hell Turpin probably usually catches it. Maybe the moment was too big for him? I don't know but the DB never made any contact with the ball or him as the ball came in. Dak couldn't have run down and handed it to him any better.
Whether a shorter WR would've caught it or not isn't my point, a taller WR is always a bit more effective on that type throw. Mike Evans, Metcalf, PIttman, Higgins, Nico Collins, any of those guys catches that easily, much more easily than Turpin. Turpin is 5-9. Gotta turn off your height bias!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Creeper

Reaction score
Dak does not look like even the Dak of 2023. He looks terrible, worse than I have seen him since he was drafted. Collinsworth made a comment about Dak saying his footwork has been off. It is way off. He is clearly not setting when he throws which is why many of his passes are flying over the heads of receivers like wounded ducks. Why at this stage in his career he would loose his footwork is beyond me. But I assume it can happen. Golfers can lose their swings as they get older too. But Dak is a mess right now. I also admit, he is under duress more than a QB should be. Our OL sucks right now. They get beat almost every drop back.

That last drive, and the 3, 3 and outs in the third quarter were pretty awful. Why he is choosing to throw to covered receivers is also a mystery to me. Both INTs were bad decisions as was the 4th down pass to Jalen Brooks.

I didn't like the long throw to Turpin, but he should have caught that pass. I am not a big Turpin fan. He makes some plays here and there but he also drops passes when we need a catch. He is not someone I would depend on. However, I prefer Dak throwing to him if he is open than forcing the ball to a quadruple covered CeeDee Lamb.

Cowboys5217

Reaction score
That last set of downs was as bad as I've ever seen. From play calling to execution, it stunk on ice.

RonnieT24

Reaction score
Whether a shorter WR would've caught it or not isn't my point, a taller WR is always a bit more effective on that type throw. Mike Evans, Metcalf, PIttman, Higgins, Nico Collins, any of those guys catches that easily, much more easily than Turpin. Turpin is 5-9. Gotta turn off your height bias!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Take it from a 5'7" guy who has caught his share of over the shoulder sideline passes in which every defender I ever played against was 3-5 inches taller than me. Height simply is not the issue UNLESS the defender is right there to contest the catch. If the QB drops it over the outside shoulder (which Dak did) it's just you and the sideline. The tricky part is making sure of the footwork as you bring the ball in. I think that's what crossed Turpin up. He was hyper focused on his feet when he should have been focused on the ball. Taller guys might get hands on the ball at a higher point but they also have the issue of a longer stride when attempting to get feet down. If Turpin handles the catch cleanly he probably takes 3 or 4 quick steps in bounds. Frankly I think what he should have done is given it the "dead leg" and let the ball come down in the bread basket while he was falling out of bounds. But either way he has to make that catch is the bottom line.

JustChip

Reaction score
Dude that pass to Turpin was an absolute dime. He didn't need no circus catch to make that. NFL receivers make that catch 99 out of 100 times. The ball fell out of the sky right into his hands. Criticize Dak away for all the other things that went wrong in that game but that pass was great. At some point we need to ask the other guys on the team to do their jobs too. Especially the offensive line.
That ball did not fall out of the sky and hit him in the hands - it fell out of the sky and him in the face mask.

But I have zero issue with the quality of the pass; it was as fine a pass as to be expected. My issue is making that pass to that receiver at that time.

First, you are right about NFL receivers routinely make that catch. I think 99 out of 100 is a little much, but certainly more often than not. Turpin is nit Calvin Johnson, Aiyuk, Dez Bryant or Michael Gallup. He’s a diminutive receiver with iffy hands and probably does not make that catch more often than not.

Second, with the first point in mind, that’s a low probability pass. It had less chance of success than failure.

Finally, given the aforementioned, it was stupid to make that pass on 3rd and 10. Failure then puts the game on a single play way behind the chains at 4th & 10.

Ultimately, the ball was in Dak’s hands and he made the decision where to go with the ball. And I’m sure the Niners defense played coverage to influence making that throw. But it still was the wrong decision.

gtb1943

Reaction score
What is so bad is that there WAS NO HURRY. There was time to be a little more careful.
All we needed at that time was a first down.
Dak panicked; its as simple as that