big dog cowboy

THE BIG DOG
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan

4 Cowboys who are next in line for contract extensions​

Ben Grimaldi
Sat, Apr 22, 2023, 7:30 AM CDT

With the 2023 NFL draft arriving in less than a week, the focus for many teams has been preparing for the biggest offseason event the league holds. Yet that hasn’t stopped the Dallas Cowboys from handling a little bit of other business for their future.

The team made some financial moves recently when they picked up the fifth-year option for wide receiver CeeDee Lamb and announced right tackle Terence Steele had signed his second-round tender as a restricted free agent. Lamb’s option will guarantee him over $17.9 million in 2024, while Steele’s tender pays him $4.3 million for the upcoming season. Both moves were expected, and both are players the Cowboys will continue to attempt to sign to long-term deals.

Dallas shouldn’t be done working extensions this offseason as there are a few candidates who the team would be wise to lock up now rather than waiting.

WR CeeDee Lamb
CB Trevon Diggs
Center Tyler Biadasz
QB Dak Prescott

https://sports.yahoo.com/4-cowboys-next-line-contract-123016487.html

Interesting perspective and thoughts about Dak. I agree with the thinking, but just not sure he is the right QB to hitch our wagon too like that.

Hawkeye0202

Reaction score
Honestly, some Cowboys fans may as well turn in their Cowboys card now.............there's no way they will survive Dak getting a new deal over $50M+. (lol).

https://cowboyswire.usatoday.com/lists/cowboys-prescott-extension-projection-2024/

In this projection, there are two void years (2030, 2031) to allow for bonus proration and future cap conversions.

The average salary of the new money being sent to Prescott would be $51 million, $2 million more than Wilson’s $49 million signed in 2022.

Prescott currently has $34 million of cash due to him in 2024, making the total value of this deal $289 million across six seasons,

Wilson had two years remaining on his deal when traded to Denver, so his five-year extension made it a seven-year deal for $296 million in cash, or $42.3 million on average.

Prescott’s deal far surpasses that at an average of $48.2 million across the six seasons.

This contract would reduce Prescott’s 2024 cap hit from it’s current level of $59.5 million, down to $41.5 million; creating $18 million of space.

Projected guaranteed money​

In our deal, Prescott would be seeing a fully guaranteed amount of $125 million.
That would include a $70 million signing bonus (he received $66 million in 2021) and fully guaranteed base salaries for 2024 and 2025, a fully guaranteed 2025 Option bonus and a partially guaranteed 2026 base salary.
Prescott’s total guarantees would be $185 million, as 2026 and 2027 bonuses would guarantee on the fifth day of the prior season and be fully guaranteed for injury.

Year-by-Year cash to Prescott​

2024: $72M
2025: $43M
2026: $40M
2027: $50M
2028: $36M
2029: $48M
Total: $289 million

CATCH17

1st Round Pick
Reaction score
Honestly, some Cowboys fans may as well turn in their Cowboys card now.............there's no way they will survive Dak getting a new deal over $50M+. (lol).

https://cowboyswire.usatoday.com/lists/cowboys-prescott-extension-projection-2024/

In this projection, there are two void years (2030, 2031) to allow for bonus proration and future cap conversions.

The average salary of the new money being sent to Prescott would be $51 million, $2 million more than Wilson’s $49 million signed in 2022.

Prescott currently has $34 million of cash due to him in 2024, making the total value of this deal $289 million across six seasons,

Wilson had two years remaining on his deal when traded to Denver, so his five-year extension made it a seven-year deal for $296 million in cash, or $42.3 million on average.

Prescott’s deal far surpasses that at an average of $48.2 million across the six seasons.

This contract would reduce Prescott’s 2024 cap hit from it’s current level of $59.5 million, down to $41.5 million; creating $18 million of space.

Projected guaranteed money​

In our deal, Prescott would be seeing a fully guaranteed amount of $125 million.
That would include a $70 million signing bonus (he received $66 million in 2021) and fully guaranteed base salaries for 2024 and 2025, a fully guaranteed 2025 Option bonus and a partially guaranteed 2026 base salary.
Prescott’s total guarantees would be $185 million, as 2026 and 2027 bonuses would guarantee on the fifth day of the prior season and be fully guaranteed for injury.

Year-by-Year cash to Prescott​

2024: $72M
2025: $43M
2026: $40M
2027: $50M
2028: $36M
2029: $48M
Total: $289 million
Dak’s not the type of QB I see getting better with age. Maybe I’m wrong.

JayFord

Reaction score
they'll get paid....and parsons next after that will get 200 million and deserves too

CashMan

Reaction score
In order to win a SB
Dak’s not the type of QB I see getting better with age. Maybe I’m wrong.
The cowboys need to decouple from Dak's contract in order to take that next step.

Acceptablename

Reaction score

4 Cowboys who are next in line for contract extensions​

Ben Grimaldi
Sat, Apr 22, 2023, 7:30 AM CDT

With the 2023 NFL draft arriving in less than a week, the focus for many teams has been preparing for the biggest offseason event the league holds. Yet that hasn’t stopped the Dallas Cowboys from handling a little bit of other business for their future. I have ceased being the deck defender but I will say that he’s going to get an extension so there’s that

The team made some financial moves recently when they picked up the fifth-year option for wide receiver CeeDee Lamb and announced right tackle Terence Steele had signed his second-round tender as a restricted free agent. Lamb’s option will guarantee him over $17.9 million in 2024, while Steele’s tender pays him $4.3 million for the upcoming season. Both moves were expected, and both are players the Cowboys will continue to attempt to sign to long-term deals.

Dallas shouldn’t be done working extensions this offseason as there are a few candidates who the team would be wise to lock up now rather than waiting.

WR CeeDee Lamb
CB Trevon Diggs
Center Tyler Biadasz
QB Dak Prescott

https://sports.yahoo.com/4-cowboys-next-line-contract-123016487.html

Interesting perspective and thoughts about Dak. I agree with the thinking, but just not sure he is the right QB to hitch our wagon too like that.
I surely agree with your perspective however there is most likely an extension for Dak. in the Cowboys future

Flamma

Reaction score

WR CeeDee Lamb
CB Trevon Diggs
Center Tyler Biadasz
QB Dak Prescott
A couple things. The article says Diggs is to make 4.3 million this year, and that number is expected to skyrocket. No, it's not. Not even if he gets an extension. I'm questioning the author of this article. Does he know anything about contracts? The obvious answer is no.

Dak. He already got a restructure, no need for the extension. That will come after this season. Again, who is this person writing?

big dog cowboy

THE BIG DOG
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Dak is in decline already from a low peak, and they're going to pay him more?
He is viewed as a franchise QB. And that is just the way contracts work with them. The next guy always gets more.

SinceDayOne

Reaction score
As generous as the Cowboys are with the talent that they draft ("their guys") and IF he stays healthy and IF his performance level does not drop and IF he stays out of personal trouble THEN I forecast that Parsons will get the largest contract in NFL history for a defensive player when he signs an extension. He will set the bar at the time I predict.

gtb1943

Reaction score
As generous as the Cowboys are with the talent that they draft ("their guys") and IF he stays healthy and IF his performance level does not drop and IF he stays out of personal trouble THEN I forecast that Parsons will get the largest contract in NFL history for a defensive player when he signs an extension. He will set the bar at the time I predict.
Not sure who would challenge that title. Right now there are not really that many great game changers on D in the NFL.

Verdict

Reaction score
He is viewed as a franchise QB. And that is just the way contracts work with them. The next guy always gets more.
That may be what has happen (and may well happen going forward, but at some point I think teams should wise up and stop doing that. It’s stupid to pay Dak as the best QB in the league. It’s hard enough to pay the best QB in the league that kind of money. But it is beyond foolish to set the market with a mediocre QB.

Flamma

Reaction score
Remember when people were charging 10 bucks a hand sanitizer during the pandemic? That's the same with QBs. Pay me because what other choice do you have? But it's the average person that gets demonized.