4 teams including champs had "high interest" in Hitchens

slomoxn

Reaction score
we went against our board with higher rated players still available because our special teams coach beat the table for him because his friend that he trusts vouched for him. We threw months of scouting and evaluation out the window because the special teams coach asked them to.

that's all you need to know about this pick.

iin Jerry's interview he said they had him there in the fourth round as someone they would take in that position. Seems like they didn't go against their board... Unless someone has a snapshot of it to show ottherwise.

rkell87

Reaction score
While the special teams coach was banging on the table for him and a friend vouched for him it doesn't mean they went against their board. We have no idea where he was on the board or anyone's board.

we admitted that we had street rated as a third round and hitchens as a forth so try again

rkell87

Reaction score
iin Jerry's interview he said they had him there in the fourth round as someone they would take in that position. Seems like they didn't go against their board... Unless someone has a snapshot of it to show ottherwise.

street was a 3rd round grade on our board so that is at least one they passed to take the lower rated hitchens and I doubt he was the only one

StarHead69

Reaction score
Maybe there were several wrs with higher grades, so they knew one would be there later?
Ih he can compete at wlb and slide over to the middle when Lee gets hurt, he's worth a 4th IMO.

speedkilz88

Reaction score
we admitted that we had street rated as a third round and hitchens as a forth so try again

street was a 3rd round grade on our board so that is at least one they passed to take the lower rated hitchens and I doubt he was the only one

Maybe there were several wrs with higher grades, so they knew one would be there later?
Ih he can compete at wlb and slide over to the middle when Lee gets hurt, he's worth a 4th IMO.

That may be where they knew Seattle wanted Hitchens and thought that Street could fall into the 5th. Then they moved up into the 5th to get Street before some team that might have showed interest in Street.

CATCH17

1st Round Pick
Reaction score

You really can roll your eyes at that comment after taking a minute to think about all of the bonehead picks they made?

It's not like it took Cowboy fans 3 years to figure out that Fasano and Bennett were a wasted 2nd round pick.

Oh_Canada

Reaction score
I don't mind drafting a guy as insurance, but I have making the comment public. To me every pick should be publically introduced as someone drafted to compete for a starting job, plain and simple. No player especially on a team which has been as mediocre as this one be considered safe from benching and/or cutting.

Nightman

Capologist
Reaction score
You really can roll your eyes at that comment after taking a minute to think about all of the bonehead picks they made?

It's not like it took Cowboy fans 3 years to figure out that Fasano and Bennett were a wasted 2nd round pick.

Considering both guys are still playing in the league, I question your evaluation.

xwalker

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan

They had Williams rated above Escobar last year and ended up with both by taking Escobar first. It's the same situation with these players.

RoyTheHammer

Reaction score
He was specifically taken as a back up/insurance policy for Lee from the Cowboys. I don't think that's a smart way to draft.

I think you should read more of what Jerry actually said if you're going to quote him.

He absolutely did NOT say that they drafted him solely to be a back up for Sean Lee. He did say that he was one of the only inside linebackers in the draft that could help them if Lee went down, but he also said he thinks he can play some weakside linebacker as well and be productive as far as what they are trying to do scheme wise.

cowboyvic

Reaction score
It looks to me like they drafted a backup. I think it speaks to their growing discomfort with Lee's health issues. That's fine, maybe even necessary, but this team isn't good enough to be targeting backups in the 4th round ... they just aren't.
Bingo. you are one of the few on here who get it man.

thechosen1n2

Reaction score
I see Sean Lee. I think Lee is the quintessential Mike LB in this scheme and isn't being moved anywhere. To me this was strictly a depth selection in case of another injury to Lee. I also don't see Hitchens with much position flex. I think he's a MLB as well

I didnt like the pick either (mainly b/c I didnt know of him) but I have a buddy who talked him up before he was picked and said he was Sean Lee 2.0. He said dont be mad at the pick, b/c he will be able to fill in immediately if Sean Lee goes down or just for rotation. He said he is always around the ball. I trust this guy greatly when it comes to college football.

rkell87

Reaction score
They had Williams rated above Escobar last year and ended up with both by taking Escobar first. It's the same situation with these players.

except those players didn't have the special teams coach trying to get them selected.

Dodger12

Reaction score
The FO seems to have a valuation system that simultaneously allows for insufficiently compensated trade-downs and overcompensated trade-ups. A buy high, sell low philosophy that generates management call-outs to Spags for twitter support. The idea that the FO has a such a superior idiosyncratic player evaluation matrix isn't supported by empirical evidence. Again, as you point out, it's not to say that the individual players selected wont pan out, but more so that they could have received more value for the trades and or let other teams overpay for the draft spots.

Jerry's a gambler. It's this all or nothing persona and the will to find that diamond in the rough to prove his GM prowess. He hits a home run, he looks good and it validates him. But at this point, it gets old real quick while the fans wait for one of these guys to pan out. Need a QB, go for broke with QC. Hell, we found Romo as an UFA and Jerry wants a crack at it too.

Screw The Hall

Reaction score
I didnt like the pick either (mainly b/c I didnt know of him) but I have a buddy who talked him up before he was picked and said he was Sean Lee 2.0. He said dont be mad at the pick, b/c he will be able to fill in immediately if Sean Lee goes down or just for rotation. He said he is always around the ball. I trust this guy greatly when it comes to college football.

Yeah I have no ego in this. I want to be wrong in fact. So now that he is a Cowboy I'll be more than happy to sit back and eat my crow if he indeed does become a good player for us. I hope your buddy nailed it.

CATCH17

1st Round Pick
Reaction score
Considering both guys are still playing in the league, I question your evaluation.

It's not that they aren't good players. It's the fact that Dallas could've got someone else to fill their role a not spend a premium pick.

Beast_from_East

Reaction score
The FO seems to have a valuation system that simultaneously allows for insufficiently compensated trade-downs and overcompensated trade-ups. A buy high, sell low philosophy that generates management call-outs to Spags for twitter support. The idea that the FO has a such a superior idiosyncratic player evaluation matrix isn't supported by empirical evidence. Again, as you point out, it's not to say that the individual players selected wont pan out, but more so that they could have received more value for the trades and or let other teams overpay for the draft spots.

I would normally agree with you my friend, but in this case I actually like the trade up for D-Law.

He was the only player left on our board that can play WDE and this defensive scheme is total crap if your WDE sucks. So our entire defensive scheme rested on getting this guy. So with that being the situation, Washington comes calling and tells us that Atlanta is offering a 4th to move up 3 spots and take him. We are like 13 spots behind Washington so we have to offer a 3rd as a counter offer.

Now Washington has a choice, they can drop 3 spots with Atlanta and pick up a 4th or they can drop 13 spots with us and pick up a 3rd. If we would have offered only a 4th as well, why the hell would Washington accept it? They would take the 4 from Atlanta and drop 3 spots compared to 13 spots. So offering the 3rd round pick was the only way to make the trade happen.

Our only other option was to not make the trade and watch Atlanta take our guy and we are left with crap at WDE and this scheme would once again be total crap this year. So we really had no choice, we were forced to overpay because we frankly had nobody else on the roster that can play WDE. This is what desperate teams do, they have to overpay to get their players.