45-10! But does it even matter?

LACowboysFan1

Reaction score
I get all that, but these still are PROFESSIONAL teams, and many times the gaps aren’t that wide. Injuries, bad play calls, a flag at the worst time—sometimes, good OR bad snowballs.
Sure, I've said many times the talent gap between NFL teams isn't as great as some think, bad vs. good is always in a relative sense.

But you won't get to play a 6-11 team in the playoffs....

OmerV

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I know, I know, IGNORE the media, the “haters”, the internet trolls, etc., but can anyone explain the madness? Most of the media, anyone that hates Dallas, and a portion of our own fanbase scoff at our trouncing of below average teams.

Dallas is 8-3, but the narrative is we haven’t played anyone—our wins are meaningless. But in the interest of fairness let’s examine a few “elite” teams. Yeah, Philly is 9-1, with a loaded roster, but if you look at the results, they haven’t dominated anyone. They beat the Rams, Washington twice, 4-6 Tampa, and New England. Should we discount those 5 wins? Plus, they lost to the Jets, and were gifted the Miami win by the refs, but THEY’RE legit! The 9ers lost three, plus beat up on Seattle, the Rams, Tampa, Arizona, and the Giants! And they’re a juggernaut!

Just sayin’…
The "narrative" doesn't get a team into the playoffs. Winning does. So yes, beat the Giants does matter. Accordingly, winning isn't meaningless, regardless of opponent.

LACowboysFan1

Reaction score
The scores don't matter. Just the wins. If Dallas loses to Seattle next week then beating Washington 45-10 will look unimpressive.

As it stand now, every team remaining on the Cowboys schedule is beatable, but I do not expect them to win by 20 points.

As for the Eagles, they have had some luck with the refs, but I think to win a Super Bowl is takes some of that luck. Yet, even with that luck, the Eagles look good, but not unbeatable.
28-24 loss to the Eagles, and without the false start penalty I think Dallas scores a td and gets the lead late, though the Eagles showed last night they can socre quickly, no guarantees.

Still, home field is always said to be worth 3 pts, so most indications are Dallas can beat the Eagles.

But here's the thing - we'd still be a game behind the Eagles, so beating them might be a hollow victory....

ESisback

Reaction score
The "narrative" doesn't get a team into the playoffs. Winning does. So yes, beat the Giants does matter. Accordingly, winning isn't meaningless, regardless of opponent.
It’s meaningless to many detractors.

Creeper

Reaction score
28-24 loss to the Eagles, and without the false start penalty I think Dallas scores a td and gets the lead late, though the Eagles showed last night they can socre quickly, no guarantees.

Still, home field is always said to be worth 3 pts, so most indications are Dallas can beat the Eagles.

But here's the thing - we'd still be a game behind the Eagles, so beating them might be a hollow victory....
There was no time for the Eagles to get the ball back and score. When Dallas committed the False Start, there was 27 seconds left in the game. I don't think the Eagles could have come back with only 20 seconds to go in the game. Had it taken Dallas 2 plays to score there might have been even less time. I do think Dallas would have scored from the 6 yard line before they fell apart. But while the 5 yard penalty hurt, the 11 yard sack was also a loss of a down. The Cowboys simply lost their cool and that's why they lost.

LACowboysFan1

Reaction score
There was no time for the Eagles to get the ball back and score. When Dallas committed the False Start, there was 27 seconds left in the game.
Ah, you're right, I had forgotten that, I thought there was like a minute and a half left.

Still, Philly would only have needed a fg to tie, even if Dallas had gone for and gotten a 2pt conversion.

Not likely though...