49ers and Eagles show you can make a Super Bowl start from scratch and make another one

Blitzen

Reaction score
You must not have been following football long if you honestly believe that. You’re waaay undervaluing the QB in wins and losses because no position influences the outcome of games like QB play. There’s a reason KC keeps going to the SB, it’s mostly because of the play of their QB. There’s a reason the first pick in the draft is almost always a QB,
That’s your problem. You are comparing Mahomes to others not named Burrow or Allen. They are not in the same universe as to how much control they wield. GM’s not named Jones need immediate success, which is why QB’s are so over-drafted and played way too early. They have no choice but to go full throttle and take tons of risks in an attempt at securing a difference making QB. Which is why so few succeed. Not because they suck so bad-the entire team sucks. There’s no way to actually differentiate the QB from all the other suckiness.

kwcool619

Reaction score
Both franchises have ownership that aren't making the day-to-day decisions. They have real football people doing that. They have people in positions that have pressure to win. We don't.
Emphasis on 'real football people'.

Blitzen

Reaction score
The supporting cast hasn’t nearly been good enough in the playoffs for our QB to succeed. The defense usually performs like trash and we can’t run the ball. That’s going to have an averse affect on any QB.
True-the supporting cast would need to include 5 Hall of fame offensive lineman, a HOF running back, tight end, and wide receivers. An 85 Bears or 2000 Baltimore Ravens type defense. A hall of fame coach. All these young and in their prime. 4-5 passes and 50-55 runs. 400 yards rushing. Several rushing TDs. Sounds reasonable to build around that QB.

The defense was absolutely spectacular last year versus SF. They were very good the year before that here against them. Dak crapped the bed in 3 of the past 4 games. The supporting offense did plenty to help him that first half vs GB-he was off and bad.

KJJ

You Have an Axe to Grind
Reaction score
That’s your problem. You are comparing Mahomes to others not named Burrow or Allen. They are not in the same universe as to how much control they wield. GM’s not named Jones need immediate success, which is why QB’s are so over-drafted and played way too early. They have no choice but to go full throttle and take tons of risks in an attempt at securing a difference making QB. Which is why so few succeed. Not because they suck so bad-the entire team sucks. There’s no way to actually differentiate the QB from all the other suckiness.
I don’t have a problem. QBs are over drafted because you can’t compete for a championship without a viable QB. You don’t seem to get that. We don’t agree and no point wasting anymore time with this.

GINeric

Reaction score
what does this have to do with Dak, or the term you used homers.

isn't it the GMs job to rebuild the team? Dak has nothing to do with team building. your anger is directed at the wrong person.

Dak wasn't signed all by himself. it took Jerry and Stephen to agree. it took Jerry and stephen not to draft QBs over the years. we don't have to resign any player.

the reason most people want Dak back, is they see no hope with abbott and costello being able to build a team outside of getting lucky now and then.

Now this is the post of someone with intelligence and wise enough to understand that one player can't be blamed for a team who have fallen short of winning it all in a 28 year span.

Everyone can see that Dak is most likely NOT the solution we need to win it all.... but this thread is the perfect example of how zero thought has gone into the real problem of this organization.... the ownership.

But I give lots of credit to the kid coming up with new ways to hate on Dak. You kids are extremely creative.

Now when this OP kid is done with play time, let's get back to the real problems this franchise has been facing for decades.

eromeopolk

Reaction score
Since we've made the Super Bowl both franchises have now gone to 3 different Super Bowls with 3 different Quarterbacks. The Eagles have had 3 different coaches while 49ers have had two.

This is why I tune out the Dak homers who act like we're doomed if we move on from Dak. The way I look at it we're doomed with Dak anyway just because we are pretty much guaranteed a playoff spot does not make success when you're talking about the Dallas Cowboys. We can't string together just two playoff wins in a row in a single playoffs, many times not even one, so that is not success. Not to mention unless we're keeping Dak until his late 30's which rarely ever happens we're going to have to move on from him one day anyway. Then again can't put anything past Jerry.

As far as coach I believe Harbough would have taken the job if we moved on from McCarthy. Instead they turned McCarthy into a lame duck coach with no extension and who knows who will be available next season.

Jerry Jones has turned this franchise into a joke.
There has not been a lame duck Head Coach...Jerry Jones has been your head coach and GM since 1994.

What the Eagles and SF have in common is that the Owner is not the GM, the GM is not the Head Coach, and the Head Coach is not the owner. That is not the Arlington Jonesboys way. The Arlington Jonesboys way is where the Owner, GM and Head Coach is the same person.

Blitzen

Reaction score
I don’t have a problem. QBs are over drafted because you can’t compete for a championship without a viable QB. You don’t seem to get that.
I disagree. QB’s are sometimes over-drafted by teams because of that. Most teams that are pretty good or above average are not trying to upgrade the QB position (though it does happen-KC with Pat and SF moving way up after that year with all those injuries).

Most teams drafting high are attempting to win as many games within 1-2 years as possible because they have 3 years to attempt to show massive progress before they get fired. The QB selection can help them sometimes win 8 games instead of 5 and buy them time, so they over-draft and play them early. This is all well documented (even recent and ex GM’s have admitted to this strategy). They aren’t thinking championships, so much as they are thinking please help me keep my job (and maybe earn another if I get fired).

KJJ

You Have an Axe to Grind
Reaction score
I disagree. QB’s are sometimes over-drafted by teams because of that. Most teams that are pretty good or above average are not trying to upgrade the QB position (though it does happen-KC with Pat and SF moving way up after that year with all those injuries).

Most teams drafting high are attempting to win as many games within 1-2 years as possible because they have 3 years to attempt to show massive progress before they get fired. The QB selection can help them sometimes win 8 games instead of 5 and buy them time, so they over-draft and play them early. This is all well documented (even recent and ex GM’s have admitted to this strategy). They aren’t thinking championships, so much as they are thinking please help me keep my job (and maybe earn another if I get fired).
We’re never going to agree. If you want to carry on feel free. :thumbup:

jterrell

Penguinite
Reaction score
KC used their 1st rounder that year plus the year after. They would have made the trade even if they only had just the one first round pick in that draft.

This season may not be very good, no matter who they draft this year. If the oline loses Tyron and Zack-look out.
DAL first two picks are only worth pick 14/15.
And there isn't a Mahomes in this draft much less one falling to 14/15.
Mahomes is a generational guy and maybe one of one all-time.

DAL has a tough job in front of them. Already light in draft picks and with holes on the roster and a tough salary cap situation....

They can go all-in 1 time. 1 year.
They can try to reset/re-fill around this roster with a long-term extension for Dak.
Or they can dump Dak and start the rebuild but in a year with little cap space or few draft picks so at least a 2-year tank job to rebuild.

If you bring the band back next year it feels very much like the all-in 1 year attempt.
And I can live with that given the list of not great options.

triplets_93

Reaction score
Since we've made the Super Bowl both franchises have now gone to 3 different Super Bowls with 3 different Quarterbacks. The Eagles have had 3 different coaches while 49ers have had two.

This is why I tune out the Dak homers who act like we're doomed if we move on from Dak. The way I look at it we're doomed with Dak anyway just because we are pretty much guaranteed a playoff spot does not make success when you're talking about the Dallas Cowboys. We can't string together just two playoff wins in a row in a single playoffs, many times not even one, so that is not success. Not to mention unless we're keeping Dak until his late 30's which rarely ever happens we're going to have to move on from him one day anyway. Then again can't put anything past Jerry.

As far as coach I believe Harbough would have taken the job if we moved on from McCarthy. Instead they turned McCarthy into a lame duck coach with no extension and who knows who will be available next season.

Jerry Jones has turned this franchise into a joke.
This only works when your GM is not a Jones.