49ers Insider: Options on Brooks being weighed

silverbear

Semi-Official Loose Cannon
Reaction score
burmafrd said:
With Brooks history of trouble, anyone risking more then a 5th should have their heads examined. His measureables look to be around a late 2nd, at best, since we are talking an ILB.

Without all the off-field issues, most scouts agree that Brooks would likely have been a top 10 pick next year...

Just another example of how you really don't know what you're talking about, when it comes to Ahmad Brooks... you read that he has had some issues with marijuana, and stopped looking for any other relevant info...

I can guarantee you that Brooks will go before the 5th round...

silverbear

Reaction score
burmafrd said:
but what else do we do but speculate on people we have never met and never will meet here on this board?

It would be nice if your "speculating" was rooted in something FACTUAL... when you say that "based on talent alone", he'd be worth a 3rd round pick, you clearly show that you don't really know how highly regarded that talent is among NFL personnel evaluators...

And of course, you've gone WAY past "speculating", you're conducting your own little personal jihad against Brooks... anybody who mentions his name is guaranteed to see you jumping into the thread, foaming at the mouth...

It's enough to make me wonder if you weren't Ahmad's hookup, and he stiffed you on his last dime bag...

silverbear

Reaction score
Tristan said:
I agree with Silver Bear, speculating on what are front office is thinking is pure conjecture.

It's pretty simple, Ahmad Brooks has enormous potential, he has flashed the ability to not only be considered a top five pick, but a rare game changing, dominant franchise type LB.

If our front office decides they wan't Brooks, then they will use whatever pick they feel they will need to use to acquire him. One things for sure, if we do make the move to draft Brooks then we will have certainly decided that his talents are worth the investment, and it will also mean that after having done our due dilligence regarding his alledged character issues, that we decided we were comfortable in that area as well. And if that's the case we will know that Parcells had the information he needed from guys like Al Groh, and Chris Canty to make an educated decision. And if our front office decides that he will be an assett to our team, then I will be very excited about the addition of such a talented LB to our already impressive young def.

I like that take, provided you're also willing to accept it if the Boys ultimately decide NOT to take a flyer on him... to me, that will suggest that they got a less than glowing review from Al Groh... I can admit that on various boards, I have heard fans from the Charlottesville area who have said that when he's not on the field, Brooks is an arrogant jerk... obviously, I don't know him personally, but if what they say is true, if he does have a bit of a sociopathic streak, then I wouldn't want the Boys bringing in a potential troublemaker...

But as you said, if they DO make a run at Brooks, that will be the clearest possible indicator that they were told (by folks in the know) that his off-field problems were really not that big a deal, and that he might be worth a shot...

ABQCOWBOY

Regular Joe....
Reaction score
I, for one, hope San Fran does spend a 1st on Brooks. That would mean one less team in the mix for a QB in next years draft. I'm all for that.

CooterBrown

Reaction score
ABQCOWBOY said:
I, for one, hope San Fran does spend a 1st on Brooks. That would mean one less team in the mix for a QB in next years draft. I'm all for that.

I agree, but I think it is a smokescreen. I can't believe anybody would spend a first round pick on a linebacker who plans to play at 245lbs and allowed himself to balloon up to 290lbs.

I may be mistaken, but this looks like a guy who gets by on physical ability and is too lazy to keep himself in shape. He's getting in shape now because he is looking for a big contract. He acts like one of those players who will be an outstanding player in the last year of his contract, sign a big free-agent contract and then coast along again. It may simply be immaturity and he might respond to good coaching, but I personally doubt it. I look at this guy and see squandered potential in his future.

The 49ers may be desparate, but I doubt any team is first round desparate for this guy. In a late round you can afford to take a chance. First round needs to be as close to a definite pro-bowler as you can get. The draft sometimes resembles a crap-shoot, but any GM that gambles a first rounder on this guy is probably also gambling with his own job.

burmafrd

Reaction score
Silver, you are so much on Brooks jock that I wonder how many are laughing at you. He is an ILB, which is not considered that important compared to OLB. And those EXPERTS you keep talking about- some of them are the ones that say he is not all that. Where did the top ILB's go in this draft- people like Hodge? Not in the first rd. You have to be really good to go in the 2nd. And with someone with all the baggage Brooks has- a 3rd would be as high as anyone- even those really desperate like the 49rs and others- would go for him. I think he is not worth more then a 5th. As Sean Taylor AKA "the thug" shows, all the physical ability in the world cannot make up for a 10 cent head. And that looks like what Brooks has got- a 10 cent head. His numbers at his work out were not all that good anyway.

RCowboyFan

Reaction score
silverbear said:
It would be nice if your "speculating" was rooted in something FACTUAL... when you say that "based on talent alone", he'd be worth a 3rd round pick, you clearly show that you don't really know how highly regarded that talent is among NFL personnel evaluators...

And of course, you've gone WAY past "speculating", you're conducting your own little personal jihad against Brooks... anybody who mentions his name is guaranteed to see you jumping into the thread, foaming at the mouth...

It's enough to make me wonder if you weren't Ahmad's hookup, and he stiffed you on his last dime bag...

:laugh1: Oh boy, you are on a cursade again aren't ya :D

Tristan

Reaction score
Silver Bear, I agree completely, if we don't put in a card for him then it tells me all I need to know. Jerry has shown that if he want's a player then more often then not he will get that player.

If we want Ahmad then we will get him if the cost is reasonable. If we don't then we won't. And I will be in full support of our front office's decision.

As for Bumfraud, tell Ray Lewis, Brian Urlacher and Johnathan Vilma that Inside Linebackers are "not considered important".

And if you read Silverbear's responce to my original post then you should see that he is keeping an open mind on the issue, unlike you and Dbair or whatever his name is that seems to be on a mission to tell the world that Ahmad is a worthless piece of trash, as if you guys really have a clue.

burmafrd

Reaction score
While Brooks probably is TRASH, he is probably a physically talented player. AND I stand by the fact that ILB in the 3-4 is much less important then an OLB. Its a lot easier to fill the ILB slots. Its like DE's in the 4-3 vs DT's. One is a lot easier to find then the other- and that makes it more important. By the way, Silver was claiming early on that Brooks was all world- which he never was. He got chopped down after Brooks workout- which was good but certainly not first rd numbers.

ZeroClub

just trying to get better
Reaction score
silverbear said:
Without all the off-field issues, most scouts agree that Brooks would likely have been a top 10 pick next year... (snip) I can guarantee you that Brooks will go before the 5th round...
Yup. 1st round talent is too tempting; this player is gone before the 5th round.

There will always be at least one team willing to reach for a controversial player who is thought to have a big upside (Maurice Clarett was drafted in the 3rd round).

burmafrd

Reaction score
Brooks is not first rd talent. His measureables are not that great. And his charactor issues drop him down to 5th rd. Now someone will probably be stupid and use maybe a 2nd or 3rd.

silverbear

Reaction score
burmafrd said:
Silver, you are so much on Brooks jock that I wonder how many are laughing at you.

Seems to me that most folks who have contributed to this thread have been agreeing with me, actually...

How does saying "if the Cowboys get a less than positive review on Brooks from Al Groh, I don't want them to draft him" make me "on his jock"??

To the contrary, YOU'RE the one who comes off sounding asinine, with your constant flip-flopping between "Brooks is the AntiChrist" and "I wouldn't spend more than a 5th (or a 4th, it changes with you) on him"...

He is an ILB, which is not considered that important compared to OLB.

ROTFLMAO... yeah, what does a 3-4 defense need with inside linebackers??

And those EXPERTS you keep talking about- some of them are the ones that say he is not all that.

Most of them are the ones who said that if he had come out after his sophomore year, he would have been a top 10 pick...

Where did the top ILB's go in this draft- people like Hodge? Not in the first rd.

No ILB in this draft were as good as Brooks is...

You have to be really good to go in the 2nd. And with someone with all the baggage Brooks has- a 3rd would be as high as anyone- even those really desperate like the 49rs and others- would go for him.

First, I have clearly said all along that I wouldn't want the Boys to spend more than a 4th on him... so you're basically arguing with yourself here...

Second, you're gonna feel really, really stupid when Brooks goes higher than your prediction here... ever since that workout that you said wasn't all that good, the
"experts" you referred to have said that it looks like some team is likely to go as high as a 2nd for him, and that he might even go in the first...

BTW, did you know that Brooks has dropped 5 MORE pounds since his workout, and says he intends to report to training camp for whatever team selects him at 245??

Wanna bet that he's faster at 245 than he was at 260??

I think he is not worth more then a 5th.

Which brings me back around to the same question I keep asking you, and you keep ducking (for obvious reasons):

You say that Brooks is a lazy, undisciplined druggie who has problems staying in shape, and isn't any better than what we already have on the roster... you spent considerable bandwidth arguing that, in fact... if that's what you really think, why would you spend ANY draft pick on him??

And that looks like what Brooks has got- a 10 cent head.

Once again, you've made your mind up, and haven't bothered to check into the FACTS first... that makes you a fool...

silverbear

Reaction score
burmafrd said:
While Brooks probably is TRASH

I'd say trash is somebody who judges people without having all the facts...

By the way, Silver was claiming early on that Brooks was all world- which he never was.

Way to lie right through your teeth, loser... what I said about Brooks talent was entirely FACTUAL-- that he was one of 3 finalists for the Butkus Award as a sophomore... that he's uncommonly fast for a LB, particularly an ILB, fast enough that the Cavs used him as a kickoff returner...

YOU were the one who was actually claiming that he wasn't real good at all, saying he wasn't any better than the linebackers the Cowboys currently had... when challenged on that, you then tried to make the strength of schedule the Cavs played an issue... only problem is, rather than factor ALL the Boys' linebackers into that argument (knowing that some of them played at schools that didn't play NEAR as good a schedule, you carefully picked out two who arguable did play a harder schedule... only problem is, both of them were OUTSIDE linebackers, and so players that Brooks would not be competing with for a roster spot... which is just another lie in a very long series of lies from you on this subject...

He got chopped down after Brooks workout- which was good but certainly not first rd numbers.

Again, show me ONE TIME I've said the Boys should spend a first round pick on him... but as for his workouts, I pointed out at the time that the guy had dropped over 30 pounds in a very short time, which was bound to leave him a bit weaker than he'd normally be... this explains the 19 reps on the bench press; ordinarily, you can expect him to put up a number in the mid-20s... he also worked out on a day that was over 100 degrees, and rather than running on a fast, rubberized track (like most folks do), he ran on the astroturf of the Cavs' stadium, a bit slower track...

silverbear

Reaction score
ZeroClub said:
Yup. 1st round talent is too tempting; this player is gone before the 5th round.

Be careful about agreeing with me, burma has just told me that everybody's laughing at me in this thread... you don't want folks laughing at you, too...

There will always be at least one team willing to reach for a controversial player who is thought to have a big upside (Maurice Clarett was drafted in the 3rd round).

I was as down on Clarett as burma is on Brooks, actually... the difference is, I researched the subject VERY thoroughly, using Google and Yahoo, and found out quite a lot about his character issues... I KNEW what I was talking about, and of course I was ultimately proven right...

silverbear

Reaction score
burmafrd said:
Brooks is not first rd talent. His measureables are not that great. And his charactor issues drop him down to 5th rd. Now someone will probably be stupid and use maybe a 2nd or 3rd.

What is this, the 500th post you've made that said the exact same thing??

Except once again, you're playing the weasel; a few posts ago, you said that 3rd round was the best he could hope for, now you're saying "maybe a 2nd"...

I can see it now, when Brooks IS drafted, you'll rush in here and find a post where you predicted that he'd be drafted in that round, and drag it out to show you were RIGHT... shouldn't be too hard, since you have now predicted he'd be drafted in the 2nd, 3rd, 4th or 5th rounds...

:lmao:

thor_01

Reaction score
though my abillity to predict the future is somewhat limited, based on all the information posted by burmafrd and associates, i now believe i can safely predict that Brooks will be selcted somewhere between the 1st and 7th round..............

i also believe that it is safe to predict that the "Bear" probably holds burmafrd's opinions in the highest esteem right next to Sugar Pops and his first bicycle lmao..........

hey i am getting pretty good at this predicting thing after all lol

silverbear

Reaction score
thor_01 said:
though my abillity to predict the future is somewhat limited, based on all the information posted by burmafrd and associates, i now believe i can safely predict that Brooks will be selcted somewhere between the 1st and 7th round..............

Sounds about right to me...

i also believe that it is safe to predict that the "Bear" probably holds burmafrd's opinions in the highest esteem right next to Sugar Pops and his first bicycle lmao..........

ROTFLMAO... that one really cracked me up...

hey i am getting pretty good at this predicting thing after all lol

To quote the late Hoyt Axton, "my mouth feel slack and agape in utter awe and amazement"...

You have a real future at this...

burmafrd

Reaction score
Have you bothered to count how many posts you have in this thread, Silver? So who is obsessed here? Brooks on strictly measureables is around a 3rd rd pick. With his issues it should be a 5th. BUT someone will probably risk a 3rd, maybe even a second. Does not make it right; reaching is usually a bad thing.