49ers players admit they didn't know the Overtime rules

Jayinem

Reaction score
Just heard on the radio the best argument for why they should have kicked to the Chiefs and got the ball second. If the Chiefs got to 4th down with the ball first they likely punt, since they got it second and the 49ers kicked a field goal they had to go for it on 4th down. Do you really want to give Patrick Mahomes 4 downs to get a 1st down or 3?

RonnieT24

Reaction score
Exactly, fans complain about the league favoring the offense and then support rules like both teams should get the ball in OT. Sudden death should've never changed
I respectfully disagree. Having both teams possess the ball at least once is more like real football. Sudden death is too random. A team with a good kicker is within FG range with a couple of first downs. I hate seeing great players lose without ever getting a shot so I am totally on board with the "both teams get the ball" rule. I also have no issue with the rules being different for the playoffs vs regular season. Hell they already do that with the whole tie game business. You can have them in the regular season but in the postseason you play on. Who here has a problem with that rule being different?

Chasing6

Reaction score
https://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/39511676/49ers-players-say-know-super-bowl-rules

I partially blame the 49ers staff but I also blame the NFL. Why would you change the rules for the playoffs. I've been saying for years it's beyond dumb that whoever wins the coin flip can go score a TD and the game is over, yet that is still the rule in regular season. They should just make it the same for regular season and playoffs that both teams have a chance to possess the ball.

So I guess the 49ers took the ball first because they thought they could go score a TD and the game was over, LOL.
Neither did the Chiefs. NFL is dumb for having different rules in the playoffs vs regular season.

They should be embarrassed.