49ers players admit they didn't know the Overtime rules

Kwyn

Reaction score
https://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/39511676/49ers-players-say-know-super-bowl-rules

I partially blame the 49ers staff but I also blame the NFL. Why would you change the rules for the playoffs. I've been saying for years it's beyond dumb that whoever wins the coin flip can go score a TD and the game is over, yet that is still the rule in regular season. They should just make it the same for regular season and playoffs that both teams have a chance to possess the ball.

So I guess the 49ers took the ball first because they thought they could go score a TD and the game was over, LOL.
The chiefs players said that Reid and their position coaches had been talking about it the entire season, even to the point of discussing specific scenarios. It wasn’t a surprise to them in the least.

Sounds to me like this was a significant mistake by the niners staff.

Not sure why you would blame the league. It’s a good change and done to remove luck as much as possible with the understanding that it could lend itself to a long game. During the regular season, games durations need to be managed more tightly due to conflicting TV agreements.

StarBoyz83

Reaction score
Wouldn't change the outcome of the game but you'd think coaching would've made sure the players knew that. Lol

nightrain

Since 1971
Reaction score
Well, the dude who went out for the coin toss was made aware by the Ref in front of millions of viewers.

Walker

Texas Ranger
Reaction score
Chief players knew about it according to their players they discussed it in practice.

unionjack8

Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
https://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/39511676/49ers-players-say-know-super-bowl-rules

I partially blame the 49ers staff but I also blame the NFL. Why would you change the rules for the playoffs. I've been saying for years it's beyond dumb that whoever wins the coin flip can go score a TD and the game is over, yet that is still the rule in regular season. They should just make it the same for regular season and playoffs that both teams have a chance to possess the ball.

So I guess the 49ers took the ball first because they thought they could go score a TD and the game was over, LOL.
THE REF CLEARLY STATED ONLY A DEFENSIVE TD ENDS THE GAME ON OPENING POSSESSION.

BleedSilverandBlue

Curator of Excellent Takes
Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
College OT is absolutely terrible. You start at the 25 for one. Then if it's tied after 2 OT's, you have a 2pt conversion contest until a winner is decided. This is the equivalent of soccer deciding a game on penalty kicks. NFL after all this time finally has the perfect OT.
Eh, I find it to be a lot more exciting to watch. It's simple to understand and fun.

The current rules work fine, but just need to be standardized and played the same way in the regular season and OT.

DandyDon52

Reaction score
Not sure how them not knowing the OT rules affected them here. It's not like they scored a TD and thought they won, they settled for the FG
yeah , it didnt affect the outcome, they needed a td there.
Shanahan sucks in the red zone, they should have just ran 4 times in a row, with the best RB in nfl !!
If you dont get in KC starts at the one, sack gets a safety, or make them conservative and punt from EZ.

I think Shan was just out coached and that was diff in the outcome.

Shan had purdy throw almost as much as mahomes! that wont beat the chiefs, mahomes will win any passing duel and any running duel.
Letting kelcey be covered by one guy who is a bkup in 2nd half, is kinda like SF threw the game?

I want to watch game again and see what they (sf) did in each half , because McCaffery seemed to disappear in the 2nd half.

Reverend Conehead

Reaction score

Okay, I don't feel bad for having been confused in that case. When the ref was explaining the rules, I was like, "Hey wait a minute! I thought if the first team with the ball got a TD, or if the defense scored, it was game over." Then I thought they must have changed the rule for the whole season, but I just hadn't seen an OT game. Then I was like, "Wait a minute! I DID see a couple OT games."
Yeah, it's dumb to have different rules in the playoffs or Super Bowl than in the regular season.

Jayinem

Reaction score
The chiefs players said that Reid and their position coaches had been talking about it the entire season, even to the point of discussing specific scenarios. It wasn’t a surprise to them in the least.

Sounds to me like this was a significant mistake by the niners staff.

Not sure why you would blame the league. It’s a good change and done to remove luck as much as possible with the understanding that it could lend itself to a long game. During the regular season, games durations need to be managed more tightly due to conflicting TV agreements.
Blame the league for having different rules in the regular season and playoffs, absolutely. There's only on average 13 OT games per regular season. Another possession is not going to cause a team full of injuries. Just change it for all games not just playoffs which makes it confusing and the whole idea of winning a coin flip and being able to win the game on the first possession is a joke. I showed where before they changed the rules teams that won the coinflip were 10-2 in the playoffs that shows winning a coinflip is a HUGE advantage, I'm talking about regular season now because they did change it for playoffs but not regular season.

That is another weak excuse for not changing it in the regular season that there's conflicting TV agreements. Ok well if the team who wins the coin flip doesn't score a TD the game continues so there goes the time restaint argument. I'm not sure why anyone with any sense would think it's a good idea either in the regular season or playoffs. It's just dumb, don't give a team who wins a coin flip a huge advantage.

Kwyn

Reaction score
I’m fine if they change regular season. I prefer the new playoff model.

I just don’t think any coaching staff should be cut slack for not preparing their team. There was an argument being made that somehow it was the leagues fault but one team had the problem solved since training camp. The other didn’t even discuss it with the players, only as a staff.

JoeyBoy718

Reaction score
I think it’s a legitimate decision to make. If you defer and get the ball 2nd, then you essentially have an extra down because you know what you need to score. If you receive and go 1st, then you also get the ball 3rd in a sudden death scenario.

Shanahan didn’t make the wrong decision to receive. However, his team did seem confused about the rules, which sounds like a problem. Also, Shanahan should’ve been more aggressive in that 1st drive because the game was in KC’s control after SF settled for a FG.

VaqueroTD

Reaction score
Honestly…. I don’t think half the fans know them either. Not a big fan. Would prefer we go back to sudden death. Made OT mean more.

rambo2

Reaction score
If the 49ers gm is so good, how do they not know the overtime rules?

buybuydandavis

Reaction score

You already got a massive audience for a playoff game.
Of course you want to keep milking that audience.
They're probably thinking about going back to a full quarter.

Clove

Shrinkage
Reaction score
I like the changes for the playoffs. Made to be fair for both parties.

tunahelper

Reaction score
The NFL is all about trying to reduce wear and tear on players and injuries. The longer OT lasts the more chance of injury, especially to key players and it makes it more difficult for teams to recover the following week. This is why they shortened OT to 10 minutes. It’s a long season.
The ref clearly stated the rules at the coin flip. Not sure why the big dummy (Fred Sanford voice) players were surprised?

Quickdraw

Reaction score
I like how college does their overtime. They trade barbs until one team bests the other, and they have 5 minutes to do it. Both start from their opponents 20. This new rule of scoring a TD first and you win, or else you score a FG and the other team can beat you with a TD is ludicrous. The old overtime rules were better than what they have now. But I still like the college format.

FloridaRob

Reaction score
The ref literally explained the rules thoroughly during the OT coin toss.
thats like the stewardess on a plane explaining what to do in case the plane loses pressure or crashes. But when the plane loses pressure or crashes, panic will ensue and nobody will know what to do.