49ers players admit they didn't know the Overtime rules

rambo2

Reaction score
https://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/39511676/49ers-players-say-know-super-bowl-rules

I partially blame the 49ers staff but I also blame the NFL. Why would you change the rules for the playoffs. I've been saying for years it's beyond dumb that whoever wins the coin flip can go score a TD and the game is over, yet that is still the rule in regular season. They should just make it the same for regular season and playoffs that both teams have a chance to possess the ball.

So I guess the 49ers took the ball first because they thought they could go score a TD and the game was over, LOL.
This is really funny. The 49ers had a better chance at winning if they would have kicked off.

Jayinem

Reaction score
Everyone has an opinion and we don’t agree.
No you're just wrong the idea that the game should be over on a touchdown well if you don't score a touchdown guess what? You're going to be on defense anyway, and if they don't score you're going to be back on offense. It's just stupid to go "we HAVE to end the game because the team that won the coin flip scored a touchdown" no you do not. It makes absolutely no sense what so ever. I don't know the percentages but I can guarantee the team that wins the coin flip wins more than 50% of the time. It's an advantage to win a stupid random coin flip, eliminate it.

ak47kaehu

Reaction score
That's not what happened.

Kyle Shanahan knew the rules and explained his line of thinking postgame.

Had both teams scored a FG or a TD, the 49ers would've then gotten the ball in a sudden-death situation.
This!

Jayinem

Reaction score
Since 2010, there have been 12 overtime playoff games. Teams who won the coin toss are 10-2 in those games

LOL obviously get rid of it for the regular season too.

KJJ

You Have an Axe to Grind
Reaction score
No you're just wrong the idea that the game should be over on a touchdown well if you don't score a touchdown guess what? You're going to be on defense anyway, and if they don't score you're going to be back on offense. It's just stupid to go "we HAVE to end the game because the team that won the coin flip scored a touchdown" no you do not. It makes absolutely no sense what so ever. I don't know the percentages but I can guarantee the team that wins the coin flip wins more than 50% of the time. It's an advantage to win a stupid random coin flip, eliminate it.
You’re just looking to argue all day. :rolleyes: I’ve given my opinion.

nalam

The realist
Reaction score
Since 2010, there have been 12 overtime playoff games. Teams who won the coin toss are 10-2 in those games

LOL obviously get rid of it for the regular season too.
Those overtime rules are not the same , if the team gets TD it was over, but this years playoff OT , is different

McKDaddy

Reaction score
A captain isn’t making that decision. Shanny had to have told him to accept or defer. The question is did Shanny forget the rule or just have a bad strategy?
I'm not talking about the accept \ defer decision. I'm talking about not knowing how the OT worked.

Tussinman

Reaction score
So I guess the 49ers took the ball first because they thought they could go score a TD and the game was over, LOL.
They should have kicked to the Chiefs and got the ball second. May or may not have changed the outcome though.
This is incorrect. The 49ers defense had just been on the field for a 13 play drive that took half the quarter.

In what logical sense did they want to put their tired defense immediately back on the field ? (it had nothing to do with them wanting the ball first because of an instant chance to win, they knew the offense was more rested)

Jayinem

Reaction score
Those overtime rules are not the same , if the team gets TD it was over, but this years playoff OT , is different
I know that, I'm talking about changing the rule for the regular season as well, as I said in the post. In the regular season it's still sudden death.

loublue22

Reaction score
49ers defense ended the quarter defending a 75 yard drive that took half the quarter. Made sense that they didn't want to immediately throw the defense right back on the field.
The Chiefs got the ball back with 1:50 left, that was the last drive for the defense in regulation. Granted it was 11 plays, but at the end of the drive they got the timeout, FG, commercial, kickoff, kneeldown, commercial and cointoss time to rest.

They should gone on defense first, I've seen countless college OT games and never has the team that won the cointoss taken the ball first because the defense was tired. They gave up a huge advantage.

Tussinman

Reaction score
The Chiefs got the ball back with 1:50 left, that was the last drive for the defense in regulation. Granted it was 11 plays, but at the end of the drive they got the timeout, FG, commercial, kickoff, kneeldown, commercial and cointoss time to rest.

They should gone on defense first, I've seen countless college OT games and never has the team that won the cointoss taken the ball first because the defense was tired. They gave up a huge advantage.
Chiefs offense ran 33 plays in the final 10 minutes of regulation. 49ers defense needed a break, was not surprised they didn't throw them back on the field

bigE79

Reaction score
https://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/39511676/49ers-players-say-know-super-bowl-rules

I partially blame the 49ers staff but I also blame the NFL. Why would you change the rules for the playoffs. I've been saying for years it's beyond dumb that whoever wins the coin flip can go score a TD and the game is over, yet that is still the rule in regular season. They should just make it the same for regular season and playoffs that both teams have a chance to possess the ball.

The ref clearly explained the rules before the coin flip,even us people on the couch understood them, yet shanny didn't? sorry but I call Bs on that excuse.

csirl

Reaction score
Dont see how it matters that some players dont know the rules. Once the coaches know its ok.

CT Dal Fan

Reaction score
I have no idea why the NFL has to make the overtime rules so convoluted.

Either make it the same for the regular season and playoffs or adopt the college football format. A ten minute OT in the playoffs makes sense too. Be aggressive. After all it is the postseason, isn't it?

conner01

Reaction score
I'm not talking about the accept \ defer decision. I'm talking about not knowing how the OT worked.
I would think the players and coaches would know but for sure the staff should. Obviously many players didn’t since they’ve claimed they didn’t know. It’s crazy fans knew the rules changed and players didn’t

CanadianCowboysFan

Lightning Rod
Reaction score
I shudder at the reaction from the media and this board if our coaches or players said they did not understand/know the rules

plymkr

Reaction score
So the team that came into the game better prepared won? I am shocked....

That's 100% on the 49ers and only the 49ers for not knowing the rules.
If I was a 49ers fan I’d be furious right now. How do you not know the rules? They’re professional football players, how do you not know the rules of your profession? If this was the Cowboys that lost the Super Bowl and the players didn’t know the rules, the visceral hate on this board would be epic. And for good reason, it’s the team’s job to know the rules. But the 49ers weren’t prepared and it cost them. What a shame.