49ers releasing Bowman. Should Cowboys be interested?***Merged***

TheHerd

Reaction score
If he doesn't to move midseason, he'll choose Oakland. If he wants an immediate chance at a ring, he'll choose the Patriots.

He won't choose Dallas.
And NE just lost a rookie LB. He wasn't playing much, but they're down a LB.

darthseinfeld

Groupthink Guru
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
Is Bowman still a good LB at this point.

If he is a big upgrade, then Im definitely interested.

If he is just name player at this point, then Im not

sportsman

Reaction score
Sometimes a organization has to provide a Momentum move. With the constant news of Zeke this may provide a needed spark.

ccb04

Reaction score
Bowman obviously wasn't happy about having his snaps reduced, made it known & asked to explore trade options, and then apparently said he would accept a reduced role...this according to Lynch and Shanahan. But Lynch said he essentially felt that Bowman would never truly be happy accepting less playing time with the 49'ers...and he drew from his own experience as a player in a similar situation.

Bowman's snaps were seemingly being reduced because he was proving to be a liability in space in the 4-3. He had more ground to cover in the new scheme, and the injuries limited his ability to do so. Lynch & Shanahan also mentioned they like some of their young guys...to include Armstrong & Foster (whom they intend to have take over at Mike). They even mentioned Mark Nzeocha. Bowman may fit best in a 3-4 moving forward? With Dallas, he could definitely help with run defense which they desperately need. He's certainly better than what Dallas has been getting to this point...just not sure they'll actually pursue him.

The guy I wanted the Cowboys to pursue during regular free agency...and again more recently, was Gerald Hodges. He's 26 y/o...can play inside or outside...and originally signed a 1-year deal with the Bills for less than $800,000 (minus $80,000 signing bonus)...and very recently signed for the rest of the season with the Saints for $547,000. The signing would've thus even fit the 'cheaper' (too cheap), free agent model the team has adopted. But instead of a guy like Hodges, they go out & sign Justin March-Lillard.

While the former had some up's & downs...the following stat lines comprise 19 of Hodges 26 career starts:

2016 (12 games started w/ 49'ers): 83 tackles, 3 sacks, 2 Int's, 1 forced fumble ... FWIW (debatable), in 584 snaps last season, Hodges finished with the eighth highest overall grade of any inside LB according to PFF.

2014 (7 games started w/ Vikings): 66 tackles, 0.5 sacks, 1 Int, 7 passes defensed, 1 TD

The scenario below, could've applied to Hodges...and still could apply IF they signed Bowman. What could've been/still could be going forward for the remainder of this season:

Sam: Hitchens (when in base) ... Wilber, Wilson
Mike: Bowman (what could've been = Hodges) ... Hitchens, Smith (only in a pinch)
Will: Lee ... Smith, Hitchens (Think this may be Jaylon's best fit at this level...pace his play; let him learn behind Lee while getting a few snaps to include possibly also blitzing from the strong side on occasion. Lee is already 31 & we all know the injury history, so grooming Jaylon there makes some sense, and it may prove to be the best fit longer-term. It allows him to attempt to fully heal if able to, without being overly utilized too quickly, as he obviously isn't ready/healthy enough for a full-time role at this point).

Reaction score
Bowman obviously wasn't happy about having his snaps reduced, made it known & asked to explore trade options, and then apparently said he would accept a reduced role...this according to Lynch and Shanahan. But Lynch said he essentially felt that Bowman would never truly be happy accepting less playing time with the 49'ers...and he drew from his own experience as a player in a similar situation.

Bowman's snaps were seemingly being reduced because he was proving to be a liability in space in the 4-3. He had more ground to cover in the new scheme, and the injuries limited his ability to do so. Lynch & Shanahan also mentioned they like some of their young guys...to include Armstrong & Foster (whom they intend to have take over at Mike). They even mentioned Mark Nzeocha. Bowman may fit best in a 3-4 moving forward? With Dallas, he could definitely help with run defense which they desperately need. He's certainly better than what Dallas has been getting to this point...just not sure they'll actually pursue him.

The guy I wanted the Cowboys to pursue during regular free agency...and again more recently, was Gerald Hodges. He's 26 y/o...can play inside or outside...and originally signed a 1-year deal with the Bills for less than $800,000 (minus $80,000 signing bonus)...and very recently signed for the rest of the season with the Saints for $547,000. The signing would've thus even fit the 'cheaper' (too cheap), free agent model the team has adopted. But instead of a guy like Hodges, they go out & sign Justin March-Lillard.

While the former had some up's & downs...the following stat lines comprise 19 of Hodges 26 career starts:

2016 (12 games started w/ 49'ers): 83 tackles, 3 sacks, 2 Int's, 1 forced fumble ... FWIW (debatable), in 584 snaps last season, Hodges finished with the eighth highest overall grade of any inside LB according to PFF.

2014 (7 games started w/ Vikings): 66 tackles, 0.5 sacks, 1 Int, 7 passes defensed, 1 TD

The scenario below, could've applied to Hodges...and still could apply IF they signed Bowman. What could've been/still could be going forward for the remainder of this season:

Sam: Hitchens (when in base) ... Wilber, Wilson
Mike: Bowman (what could've been = Hodges) ... Hitchens, Smith (only in a pinch)
Will: Lee ... Smith, Hitchens (Think this may be Jaylon's best fit at this level...pace his play; let him learn behind Lee while getting a few snaps to include possibly also blitzing from the strong side on occasion. Lee is already 31 & we all know the injury history, so grooming Jaylon there makes some sense, and it may prove to be the best fit longer-term. It allows him to attempt to fully heal if able to, without being overly utilized too quickly, as he obviously isn't ready/healthy enough for a full-time role at this point).
Good post.

I also think Jaylon best position will ultimately be at WILL. He will have to handle centers and guards a lot less than he does now. That is one of his weaknesses right now.

Regardless, he clearly isn't ready for full time duty. I would love to find a top MIKE in the draft.

TheHerd

Reaction score

Other posts here said he was playing 94% of the defensive snaps. No?

Corso

Offseason mode... sleepy time
Reaction score
I don't know, I'm just asking the question. I admit I'm relying on this forum for my info
No idea myself and I must admit- I don't really care about this guy joining the team for the long run.
It's not like his addition will propel the team to the Superbowl...

No. Hardly. This team has more issues than replacing a gimp with a better gimp.

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score
Don't think so because he is an 8 year vet. Only guys with under 4 years experience to through waivers ...but I could be completely wrong lol
He replaced Wilson for the last half of the Packers game.

He is good on Special teams and can backup both LB and DE positions
yeah he's versatile and cheap. To his credit....I rarely see him screw up...he doesn't flash but he offers this team versatility and special teams play.

CCBoy

Reaction score
This is one that I would really wish that the Cowboys pulled the trigger on. Jaylon Smith could then become the strong side linebacker.

ccb04

Reaction score
Other posts here said he was playing 94% of the defensive snaps. No?

Apparently, he was. But moving forward, he was told his snaps would be reduced. And from what I recall, it began in the Colts game. Both Bowman & Hyde played less than 50% of the snaps against Indy.

ccb04

Reaction score
Good post.

I also think Jaylon best position will ultimately be at WILL. He will have to handle centers and guards a lot less than he does now. That is one of his weaknesses right now.

Regardless, he clearly isn't ready for full time duty. I would love to find a top MIKE in the draft.

Agree on all counts. And I'm a ND fan that watched him pre-injury.

thisiscowboyscountry

Reaction score
If they really wanted him they would have sent a low round pick to the 49ers in a trade. You have to wonder where he would fit in the defense with Hitchens just returning, and Lee likely coming back after the bye week. The Cowboys play a lot of two LB sets and I question a bit if Bowman would be a big difference maker or a nice to have as part of the lb rotation and insurance.

CWR

Reaction score
Niners looking to trade Hyde now also. Maybe its less about Bowman and more about the future for them. Why keep an aging vet when you are a couple years away?

CCBoy

Reaction score
If they really wanted him they would have sent a low round pick to the 49ers in a trade. You have to wonder where he would fit in the defense with Hitchens just returning, and Lee likely coming back after the bye week. The Cowboys play a lot of two LB sets and I question a bit if Bowman would be a big difference maker or a nice to have as part of the lb rotation and insurance.

The problem there, is that the 49'ers decided to go ahead with their own cap cleansing effort and continue a rebuild. That, and the Cowboys already have been building draft picks and building most improvements, with their draft.

A 3-4 Time Pro Bowler doesn't fall off the earth at age 29 although. Price is still the issue. Not play contribution.