49ers trade WR Lloyd to Commanders for draft picks

Way 'nuff

Reaction score
summerisfunner said:
and I'm sorry, but Chris Chambers had a pretty good year with Gus Ferotte throwing him the football...

Frerotte has made a decent career out of being a decent backup QB.

Alex Smith was a deer in headlights ever since the draft. Sorry, no comparison there.

Bob Sacamano

Benched
Reaction score
Way 'nuff said:
Frerotte has made a decent career out of being a decent backup QB.

Alex Smith was a deer in headlights ever since the draft. Sorry, no comparison there.

no comparison? both Ferrotte and Alex Smith aren't quality starters, yet Chambers still put up huge numbers, while Lloyd didnt...

that's why Chambers is a premier WR, and Lloyd is just a #2

Way 'nuff

Reaction score
summerisfunner said:
no comparison? both Ferrotte and Alex Smith aren't quality starters, yet Chambers still put up huge numbers, while Lloyd didnt...

that's why Chambers is a premier WR, and Lloyd is just a #2

Hey, if I had to pick between the two, I'd pick Frerotte over Smith any day of the week. I'm not saying he's Johnny Unitas....I'm just saying he's good at what he does.

Lloyd will be a good #2 for us. Just enough to pull the double teams off Santana and stretch the field a bit more.

Bob Sacamano

Benched
Reaction score
Way 'nuff said:
Hey, if I had to pick between the two, I'd pick Frerotte over Smith any day of the week. I'm not saying he's Johnny Unitas....I'm just saying he's good at what he does.

Lloyd will be a good #2 for us. Just enough to pull the double teams off Santana and stretch the field a bit more.

if you wanted a #2, Randel El would have been a better choice, don't need to give up picks for him

Way 'nuff

Reaction score
summerisfunner said:
if you wanted a #2, Randel El would have been a better choice, don't need to give up picks for him

Randel El probably would have cost us more...we'll see. I'm happy with Lloyd, he presents a bigger target to Campbell. He's not on the Plax level, but I liken it to the Giants getting some good receivers for young Manning to throw to. I think the Skins are doing the same thing, trying to make it easy for Campbell.

Bob Sacamano

Benched
Reaction score
Way 'nuff said:
Randel El probably would have cost us more...we'll see. I'm happy with Lloyd

you're happy, that's all that matters really, and honestly, Lloyd is a good player, seen him get behind Anthony Henry a couple of times ;), but I just believe you gave up too much...

Way 'nuff

Reaction score
summerisfunner said:
you're happy, that's all that matters really, and honestly, Lloyd is a good player, seen him get behind Anthony Henry a couple of times ;), but I just believe you gave up too much...

Lloyds gonna be good, I have hope. I'm more excited than about us getting Patten last year. If Lloyd catches 50-60 balls and takes pressure off Moss, thats all that'll matter.

As far as giving up too much, that remains to be seen. I'm kinda bummed about this years 3rd rounder being given away. As far as next years, too early to tell. If we can somehow add a mid round pick for next year, then it'll be alright.

silverbear

Semi-Official Loose Cannon
Reaction score
Way 'nuff said:
I'm sorry, but who was throwing the ball to LLoyd last year? Maybe a better question is who was doing a pathetic job of throwing the ball to Lloyd last year?

And what about his stats the other two years?? They were even worse...

Here's a challenge for you (recognizing that you're not here to troll, but rather for some football talk)-- project how many catches and yards Lloyd will gain next year in the Skins' offense... then explain why you feel he'll post those numbers...

I'm not trying to set you up for some "gotcha" post at the end of the season if your numbers are inaccurate, I'm just interested to see what kind of production you expect from him... that's not to say I won't debate your opinion, of course, I kinda like to argue... LOL...

silverbear

Reaction score
Way 'nuff said:

It's true, NOBODY head butts a wall like he does... :D

silverbear

Reaction score
Way 'nuff said:

I rather doubt that any opponent would ever double Lloyd and leave Moss in single coverage...

silverbear

Reaction score
Way 'nuff said:
Randel El probably would have cost us more...we'll see. I'm happy with Lloyd, he presents a bigger target to Campbell.

He's 6 feet tall, 2 inches taller than Randle El... but they both weigh exactly the same, indicating that Antwaan has a sturdier build than Brandon does...

And what makes you think that Campbell will be throwing passes to ANYBODY, once preseason is over?? If it's true that the Skins are pursuing Todd Collins, that would mean Jason will be the 3rd stringer again this year...

Indeed, their interest in Collins suggests a bit of disappointment in Campbell to me... perhaps that started when he put up a 43.1 quarterback rating last preseason...

You might want to consider that the Skins haven't exactly hit it big drafting quarterbacks these last few years... I wouldn't call Campbell your QB of the future just yet, he might turn out to be another Patrick Ramsey...

I'm not saying he WILL, you understand, just that the jury's out on him...

silverbear

Reaction score
Way 'nuff said:
Lloyds gonna be good, I have hope. I'm more excited than about us getting Patten last year.

Why?? Patten had much better numbers when he joined the Skins...

If Lloyd catches 50-60 balls and takes pressure off Moss, thats all that'll matter.

But can he realistically catch 50-60 balls as the number 2 receiver for the Skins?? His best year as a number 1 receiver was 48, and he's averaged 35 catches a season...

samsnead96

Reaction score
Lloyd's numbers last year are almost exactly the same as Moss's were in his last year with the Jets before being traded to Washington.

And achieving those stats while with the 49ers is more impressive than doing it with the Jets.

He'll be facing #2 corners in Washington too, probably always single coverage. He will kill defenses if they don't play over to his side a little bit. He's a serious playmaker.

I'd have to think the days of seeing defenses put three guys on Moss are over with this guy on the other side.

Their WR corps has to now be considered one of the best in the league.

They just better hope these two guys stay healthy because they have little depth beyond them. If they lost at least one they'd be back to where they were last year.

DLK150

The Quiet Man
Reaction score
Lloyd could work out, but if you've ever checked out Football Outsiders, look at their list of catch percentages under the WR section. In the last two years, Lloyd is around the bottom of the barrel, catching less than 50% of passes thrown his way(05-44%, 04-48%, 03-47%). Just for reference, David Patten was last(42%). Patten was 8th to last his last year in NE(46%, also 43% in 03) with Brady as his QB, for those that want to say it's just the guy throwing the ball. Moss is money though(05-63%, 04-58%, 03-63%).

Sure he could work out, but he could also end up being Rod Gardner II.

silverbear

Reaction score
SkinsandTerps said:
Who says the Commanders arent still after Randle El ?

Oh, from everything I've heard, they ARE after Randle El... Problem is, so are a lot of other teams... even the Boys are rumored to have some interest in him, and the Bears have apparently already offered him a contract (apparently, the Bears would be attractive for him because he comes from in or near Chicago)...

silverbear

Reaction score
samsnead96 said:
Lloyd's numbers last year are almost exactly the same as Moss's were in his last year with the Jets before being traded to Washington.

Of course, that was Santana's WORST year in the league, but Lloyd's BEST...

e facing #2 corners in Washington too, probably always single coverage. He will kill defenses if they don't play over to his side a little bit. He's a serious playmaker.

Oh, please... gimme a break...

The guy has 13 TDs in 45 games played, that's an average of less than 5 TDs per 16 games played... beyond that, he has all of 20 plays of 20 yards or longer, and just 5 of over 40...

In 45 games... maybe you call that a "serious playmaker", but I don't... I call that mediocre...

Their WR corps now has to be considered one of the best in the league

ROTFLMAO... what a total homer you are...

Reaction score
silverbear said:
Indeed, their interest in Collins suggests a bit of disappointment in Campbell to me... perhaps that started when he put up a 43.1 quarterback rating last preseason...

They want Collins because he was in Saunders' system last year. Collins will be #3. He'd be there for insurance and to help the learning curve along.

samsnead96

Reaction score
silverbear said:
Of course, that was Santana's WORST year in the league, but Lloyd's BEST...

Oh, please... gimme a break...

The guy has 13 TDs in 45 games played, that's an average of less than 5 TDs per 16 games played... beyond that, he has all of 20 plays of 20 yards or longer, and just 5 of over 40...

In 45 games... maybe you call that a "serious playmaker", but I don't... I call that mediocre...

ROTFLMAO... what a total homer you are...

I'm an Eagles fan dude.

But unlike certain Cowboy fans, I don't go into denial whenever the Commanders do something.

The fact that Lloyd played for the 49ers as their #1 receiver and was basically their only weapon, his numbers aren't going to be the greatest.

Moss never had great numbers in New York either. They were better than Lloyd's overall, but he played on a way better team.

If you look at what Gibbs did with Moss last year, it's reasonable to suggest he'll do the same for a receiver like Lloyd who IS a playmaker and a tremendous talent. Just watch that video of him on Google Video. Or just watch what he did to the Cowboys last year. They're getting a receiver at the right time who's just about to enter his prime and could grow into a total stud with them.

But, if he was going to a team to be their #1, these criticisms of him might be valid.

But he's going to Washington to start opposite Moss and will be surrounded with talent that he's never experienced playing with before. Al Saunders will be his offensive coordinator. He'll be facing #2 CBs this year, which is crazy because he'll trash them. Is he going to drop off from his production in San Fran under those circumstances? It's crazy to suggest otherwise. So please...There's just no denying this was a good move for Washington.

Numbers-wise, 48 catches for 700 plus yards for San Francisco probably equates to 65-75 catches for 1000 plus yards in DC. Unless he's opening stuff up for Moss, Portis, Cooley, + maybe Randel El and doesn't get the ball as much. But there's no logical argument suggesting this guy won't go in there and be a huge asset for them.

I'd love to see them come out with Moss and Patten and Thrash again at wideout, but Lloyd will make them dynamic on both sides of the field. They'll will have one of the top 5-7 receiving corps in the NFL even if they don't get Randel El.

Way 'nuff

Reaction score
samsnead96 said:
I'm an Eagles fan dude.

But unlike certain Cowboy fans, I don't go into denial whenever the Commanders do something.

The fact that Lloyd played for the 49ers as their #1 receiver and was basically their only weapon, his numbers aren't going to be the greatest.

Moss never had great numbers in New York either. They were better than Lloyd's overall, but he played on a way better team.

If you look at what Gibbs did with Moss last year, it's reasonable to suggest he'll do the same for a receiver like Lloyd who IS a playmaker and a tremendous talent. Just watch that video of him on Google Video. Or just watch what he did to the Cowboys last year. They're getting a receiver at the right time who's just about to enter his prime and could grow into a total stud with them.

But, if he was going to a team to be their #1, these criticisms of him might be valid.

But he's going to Washington to start opposite Moss and will be surrounded with talent that he's never experienced playing with before. Al Saunders will be his offensive coordinator. He'll be facing #2 CBs this year, which is crazy because he'll trash them. Is he going to drop off from his production in San Fran under those circumstances? It's crazy to suggest otherwise. So please...There's just no denying this was a good move for Washington.

Numbers-wise, 48 catches for 700 plus yards for San Francisco probably equates to 65-75 catches for 1000 plus yards in DC. Unless he's opening stuff up for Moss, Portis, Cooley, + maybe Randel El and doesn't get the ball as much. But there's no logical argument suggesting this guy won't go in there and be a huge asset for them.

I'd love to see them come out with Moss and Patten and Thrash again at wideout, but Lloyd will make them dynamic on both sides of the field. They'll will have one of the top 5-7 receiving corps in the NFL even if they don't get Randel El.

Good christ, thank you. Sums it up very well.

samsnead96 said:

Best part of your post, though :D

I just hate it when fans of other teams can't admit when a rival does something that could be good.

Comparing Lloyd in DC to what he was in SF is apples to oranges. You're right about the video, the crazy one handed catches, the athleticism, the guys got what it takes.

Sorry, silverbear. You can come off your high horse, now.