49ers trade WR Lloyd to Commanders for draft picks

TruBlueCowboy

Reaction score
Some of you are just trashing the Skins because they're the Skins. :D All I remember is watching Lloyd torch us last year. Very underrated receiver. After the Niners got rid of Rattay, he was in the same QB hell that Galloway, Rocket and the rest of 'em had to go through in their last years with Dallas. Santana Moss can't do it all. Lloyd will be a terrific guy to have with Moss commanding the double teams. He's a bigger impact acquisition than the Cowboys have made so far, that's for sure.

TruBlueCowboy

Reaction score
CrazyCowboy said:
49ers need some receivers huh?

Yup. Santana Moss can be shut out. Remember the crazy numbers he was on track for after the first half of the season? There was even MVP talk. They need someone else to do some damage.

SultanOfSix

Star Power
Reaction score
It is a good move for the 'Skins. His propensity to make great catches is only matched by his propensity to drop balls. So, it could go either way. A lot of players have potential or talent - just see a former Cowboy named Antonio Bryant - but that doesn't always translate onto the field.

What bothers me is why would the 49ers give him up for so little when they could have got so much more? It reaks of suspiciousness, similar to what Lenny P's (although I question his knowledge) article suggested about certain owners smelling a rat when it comes to the 'Skins never having to pay for their supposed salary cap (mis)handling. It just makes you wonder.

Wheat

Philosopher
Reaction score
I wonder if Lenny P or Peter King wrote something about a Celeb without proof. I imagine they'd get sued like those tabloids do all the time.

Just prove it. Its a big league, with a lot of people who like to brag and run their mouths.

They love to word things so carefully so nothing can really be stuck to them.

Jerks.

I love your sig by the way.

Bizwah

Reaction score
samsnead96 said:
I'm an Eagles fan dude.

But unlike certain Cowboy fans, I don't go into denial whenever the Commanders do something.

The fact that Lloyd played for the 49ers as their #1 receiver and was basically their only weapon, his numbers aren't going to be the greatest.

Moss never had great numbers in New York either. They were better than Lloyd's overall, but he played on a way better team.

If you look at what Gibbs did with Moss last year, it's reasonable to suggest he'll do the same for a receiver like Lloyd who IS a playmaker and a tremendous talent. Just watch that video of him on Google Video. Or just watch what he did to the Cowboys last year. They're getting a receiver at the right time who's just about to enter his prime and could grow into a total stud with them.

But, if he was going to a team to be their #1, these criticisms of him might be valid.

But he's going to Washington to start opposite Moss and will be surrounded with talent that he's never experienced playing with before. Al Saunders will be his offensive coordinator. He'll be facing #2 CBs this year, which is crazy because he'll trash them. Is he going to drop off from his production in San Fran under those circumstances? It's crazy to suggest otherwise. So please...There's just no denying this was a good move for Washington.

Numbers-wise, 48 catches for 700 plus yards for San Francisco probably equates to 65-75 catches for 1000 plus yards in DC. Unless he's opening stuff up for Moss, Portis, Cooley, + maybe Randel El and doesn't get the ball as much. But there's no logical argument suggesting this guy won't go in there and be a huge asset for them.

I'd love to see them come out with Moss and Patten and Thrash again at wideout, but Lloyd will make them dynamic on both sides of the field. They'll will have one of the top 5-7 receiving corps in the NFL even if they don't get Randel El.

Ok, I was one of the Cowboy fans that said this was a good move.....but there's very little possibility of Lloyd going over 1000 yards.

He's going to a team that loves balance. Portis and Co will get 25-30 attempts rushing a game. Brunell had a good year last year, but asking him to duplicate it at 35+ years old is a little tough.

It's difficult for two Wrs on the same team to eclipse 1000 yards receiving. If it happens, that means the Skins have just an incredible offense.

I do think he's a good addition. Which is why I'm thankful that we have three good CBs (plus, an up-and-comer), a pro-bowl SS, and we're looking to upgrade FS.

1000 yards? Not bloody likely..... I'm predicting 700-800 and around 5 TDs.

samsnead96

Reaction score
SultanOfSix said:
It is a good move for the 'Skins. His propensity to make great catches is only matched by his propensity to drop balls. So, it could go either way. A lot of players have potential or talent - just see a former Cowboy named Antonio Bryant - but that doesn't always translate onto the field.

What bothers me is why would the 49ers give him up for so little when they could have got so much more? It reaks of suspiciousness, similar to what Lenny P's (although I question his knowledge) article suggested about certain owners smelling a rat when it comes to the 'Skins never having to pay for their supposed salary cap (mis)handling. It just makes you wonder.

Lloyd didn't get along with Nolan. Evidently he said he wasn't a "Nolan guy" because Nolan called him out in front of the team for some reason. I think Lloyd criticized Cody Pickett or something and it angered a lot of the veteran players.

He also said they were better off without T.O. and that pissed off some of T.O.'s friends on the team. Sounded like Nolan sided with those vets...

So ultimately Lloyd probably wasn't going to re-sign next year, so the 49ers tendered him at the 1st round compensation level in hopes of getting something for him in a trade and prevent losing him for just a 4th rounder, which is where he was drafted. Then enter the Commanders...

Tommy-the-Greek

Reaction score
samsnead96 said:
I'm an Eagles fan dude.

But unlike certain Cowboy fans, I don't go into denial whenever the Commanders do something.

The fact that Lloyd played for the 49ers as their #1 receiver and was basically their only weapon, his numbers aren't going to be the greatest.

Moss never had great numbers in New York either. They were better than Lloyd's overall, but he played on a way better team.

If you look at what Gibbs did with Moss last year, it's reasonable to suggest he'll do the same for a receiver like Lloyd who IS a playmaker and a tremendous talent. Just watch that video of him on Google Video. Or just watch what he did to the Cowboys last year. They're getting a receiver at the right time who's just about to enter his prime and could grow into a total stud with them.

But, if he was going to a team to be their #1, these criticisms of him might be valid.

But he's going to Washington to start opposite Moss and will be surrounded with talent that he's never experienced playing with before. Al Saunders will be his offensive coordinator. He'll be facing #2 CBs this year, which is crazy because he'll trash them. Is he going to drop off from his production in San Fran under those circumstances? It's crazy to suggest otherwise. So please...There's just no denying this was a good move for Washington.

Numbers-wise, 48 catches for 700 plus yards for San Francisco probably equates to 65-75 catches for 1000 plus yards in DC. Unless he's opening stuff up for Moss, Portis, Cooley, + maybe Randel El and doesn't get the ball as much. But there's no logical argument suggesting this guy won't go in there and be a huge asset for them.

I'd love to see them come out with Moss and Patten and Thrash again at wideout, but Lloyd will make them dynamic on both sides of the field. They'll will have one of the top 5-7 receiving corps in the NFL even if they don't get Randel El.

This post has a few nuggets of real truth in it. This post mentions Al Saunders. This may be the Skins biggest pick up in the offseason. When Gibbs came back he wanted the best possible coaching staff he could assemble. The Danny is alot of things, but being cheap is not one of them. He probably has the most money tied up in his coaching staff. This is one area that the cap has no bearing. They went out and got Williams and there "D" has been very good ever since. You must also think about there front four and compare them to the other top 7 or so "D"s in the league and it is amazing what Williams has done.

Now look at what Saunders has done with the chiefs in the past 3-4 seasons. The Chiefs have consistently been one of the best "O"s in the league. They have reminded me of the Dan Fouts Chargers. They could score with anyone , but couldn't stop anyone. The thought of the Commanders having a Chief like "O" with a Williams "D" can only make them better nomatter who they pick up in FA.

Now they add Lloyd to be a #2 wr opposite Moss to compliment Portis and Cooley and that team has the potential to be scary. If you double Lloyd and Moss then Cooley is wide open in the flat and Portis has running lanes. This was a good pickup by the Skins.

samsnead96

Reaction score
Bizwah said:
Ok, I was one of the Cowboy fans that said this was a good move.....but there's very little possibility of Lloyd going over 1000 yards.

He's going to a team that loves balance. Portis and Co will get 25-30 attempts rushing a game. Brunell had a good year last year, but asking him to duplicate it at 35+ years old is a little tough.

It's difficult for two Wrs on the same team to eclipse 1000 yards receiving. If it happens, that means the Skins have just an incredible offense.

I do think he's a good addition. Which is why I'm thankful that we have three good CBs (plus, an up-and-comer), a pro-bowl SS, and we're looking to upgrade FS.

1000 yards? Not bloody likely..... I'm predicting 700-800 and around 5 TDs.

I think he'll get 1,000...at least 900...but we're talking a 150-250 yard difference here. It's not a huge disparity.

5 TDs I agree with. He might get a couple more because he's taller than Moss and might be more of a go-to target in the red zone. But the Commanders seem to use Cooley and Sellers a lot down there, so 5 is reasonable.

Also, don't forget Saunders is running their offense now. As an Eagles fan, I'm a bit bothered by that. I think their production will be up and they will be one of the best offenses in the league this year...even with Brunell. Trent Green is the same age as Brunell, maybe even a year older. He doesn't have Brunell's arm either. So age obviously isn't a factor in Saunders offense.

The only question is how fast their offense picks up Saunders scheme. That might take a year.

The thing about the Commanders though is they lack depth. If they have injuries on the offensive line or to Moss, Lloyd, or Cooley, they are screwed.

silverbear

Semi-Official Loose Cannon
Reaction score
ArmchairRedskin said:
They want Collins because he was in Saunders' system last year. Collins will be #3. He'd be there for insurance and to help the learning curve along.

You think Todd Collins is ready to accept being a 3rd QB??

clayman

Reaction score
silverbear said:
And what makes you think that Campbell will be throwing passes to ANYBODY, once preseason is over?? If it's true that the Skins are pursuing Todd Collins, that would mean Jason will be the 3rd stringer again this year...

Indeed, their interest in Collins suggests a bit of disappointment in Campbell to me... perhaps that started when he put up a 43.1 quarterback rating last preseason...

You might want to consider that the Skins haven't exactly hit it big drafting quarterbacks these last few years... I wouldn't call Campbell your QB of the future just yet, he might turn out to be another Patrick Ramsey...

I'm not saying he WILL, you understand, just that the jury's out on him...

What are you smoking? They are trading Ramsey so they need another QB and that is why they are bringing in Collins, plus as a bonus he has been in Saunder's system before so he can mentor Campbell.....Campbell will be the #2 QB and also might get a chance to complete for the starting job in the preseason per Gibbs's comments.

Bizwah

Reaction score
samsnead96 said:
I think he'll get 1,000...at least 900...but we're talking a 150-250 yard difference here. It's not a huge disparity.

5 TDs I agree with. He might get a couple more because he's taller than Moss and might be more of a go-to target in the red zone. But the Commanders seem to use Cooley and Sellers a lot down there, so 5 is reasonable.

Also, don't forget Saunders is running their offense now. As an Eagles fan, I'm a bit bothered by that. I think their production will be up and they will be one of the best offenses in the league this year...even with Brunell. Trent Green is the same age as Brunell, maybe even a year older. He doesn't have Brunell's arm either. So age obviously isn't a factor in Saunders offense.

The only question is how fast their offense picks up Saunders scheme. That might take a year.

The thing about the Commanders though is they lack depth. If they have injuries on the offensive line or to Moss, Lloyd, or Cooley, they are screwed.

Again, it's rare to have two 1000 yard receivers on the same team. Are you expecting the Skins' offense to be prolific?

Dallas, Philly, and the NYG all have good defenses. It's hard to imagine any of our teams putting up huge numbers when you have to play 6 games a year against tough teams.

I like the move for the Skins. Kudos......

I don't know why the Skins seem to hate the draft. Only one first day pick. Their next pick isn't until round five. This is a solid draft this year. This is a great opportunity for teams to have good, cheap (relatively speaking) depth.

Washington is missing this.....unless they get another pick for Ramsey.

Reaction score
silverbear said:
You think Todd Collins is ready to accept being a 3rd QB??

Hell yeah. He's a career backup. The Danny will make it worth his while to sign with us and sit at the #3 spot. Even if he didn't sign, I don't think making a play for him is an indictment against Campbell, just good sense.

silverbear

Reaction score
samsnead96 said:
I'm an Eagles fan dude.

Oh, then you're delusional...

My bad...

I like your username, though, I live down in the Shenandoah Valley, down in Snead's boyhood stomping grounds... his book "Education of a Golfer" is actually a pretty funny read...

So, your logic is that he'll be more productive as a number two receiver than as a number one??

Even if I gave you that rather shaky theory, that still doesn't address the disdain the average Niners fan seems to feel for him these days, the rep for dropping too many passes, the consistent sub-.500 percentage of the balls thrown at him that he's caught, or the reported unwillingness to go over the middle...

All of these are separate from the production issue... all of these are reason to be amused when it is suggested that Lloyd ought to be as productive as Moss is for the Skins, because Moss and he had similar stats their final seasons before they joined the Skins...

What kind of fekokteh logic is that??

But it doesn't stop there; next, we're told that with the combo of Moss and Lloyd " Their WR corps now has to be considered one of the best in the league"

I mean, I don't feel like being insulting today, but that's just RIDICULOUS... the Skins had Moss and NOTHING else at WR last year (David Patten's numbers were not good at all before he got hurt), now they've added a receiver who has caught 91 passes the last 2 seasons, and suddenly they're "one of the best in the league"...

If you look at what Gibbs did with Moss last year, it's reasonable to suggest he'll do the same for a receiver like Lloyd who IS a playmaker and a tremendous talent.

The stats don't lie, son... I know you THINK he's this brilliant playmaker, but the truth is, the numbers show that he makes a few plays, but not all that many... you just don't seem to be able to back this opinion up with any solid facts...

Wheat

Philosopher
Reaction score
I'll say it again.

I know nothing on Lloyd.

But, I blasted the Skins for the Coles/Moss trade last year, along with most of you folks.....and we were all wrong.

Can he be a #2? I don't know. Why are they after Randel El?

I've just given up trying to understand the logic. All I know is that Gibbs is in charge, and after over a decade away, he took a year to evaluate his team. Then make some changes, won 10 games and got to the 2nd round of the playoffs.

I'm done doubting what he can do with his talent.

Mash

Reaction score
its a damn good move by the foreskins........they have some weapons now........Lloyd will be a hell of a second WR.

I hate the skins....but props to them......its a great pickup and payed little concerning draft choices.....

silverbear

Reaction score
Way 'nuff said:
I just hate it when fans of other teams can't admit when a rival does something that could be good.

And I just hate it when fans of other teams automatically assume if I give them my straightforward take on the issue, I don't really mean it, that I'm just makin' trouble...

Well, son, when the Skins make moves I approve of, I say that... they have made some nice moves in the past... and when I find a move questionable, I'll say that too...

Example-- if they do sign Antwaan Randle El, it will be for the 3rd WR slot (barring injury), and as a 3rd WR, he offers nice potential... Lloyd would be a decent 3rd option, for that matter... and he will instantly upgrade their kick return game...

I don't think that potential Archuleta signing is that great, and I don't really have an opinion on how good a move it would be for them to add Collins... my only take on that is to wonder what that means as far as Jason Campbell goes, but as Collins himself would make a nice backup for Brunell... if the Skins are serious about loading up for a playoff run this time around, they'll have the veteran as the backup, and even if they are still positive on Campbell, tell him he's gonna have to sit and learn another year...

Now, let's see, anybody else the Skins have been linked to?? Kemoeatu is off the market... I'm sure I'm missing some players the Skins are looking at, and if you care to mention a few names, I'll be happy to offer you my HONEST take on them-- if you think your homeristic little heart can handle it...

Frankly, if you seriously believe the silly horsecrap you've been spewing about Lloyd in here, you're out of your tiny mind... I mean, from this point forward I'll know that I'm dealing with a mindless Skins homer of a not uncommon variety, the one who immediately elevates any player the Skins add to star status, and trashes every player that leaves the Skin as not worth keeping around, no big loss... as such, I'll know what weight to assign anything you say...

Guys like you are a cliche... the only thing interesting about it is waiting to see what next submoronic homeristic take will be...

Sorry, silverbear. You can come off your high horse, now.

Good luck gettin' that job done, wild man... I'd suggest you pack a lunch...

Make that a few years worth of lunches... maybe it would make more sense to just go buy yourself a catering truck, you're gonna be here a while...

Reaction score
Wheat said:
I'll say it again.

I know nothing on Lloyd.

But, I blasted the Skins for the Coles/Moss trade last year, along with most of you folks.....and we were all wrong.

Can he be a #2? I don't know. Why are they after Randel El?

I've just given up trying to understand the logic. All I know is that Gibbs is in charge, and after over a decade away, he took a year to evaluate his team. Then make some changes, won 10 games and got to the 2nd round of the playoffs.

I'm done doubting what he can do with his talent.

This post deserves a gold star :)

Hostile

The Duke
Reaction score
silverbear said:
And I just hate it when fans of other teams automatically assume if I give them my straightforward take on the issue, they automatically assume I don't really mean it, that I'm just makin' trouble...

Well, son, when the Skins make moves I approve of, I say that... they have made some nice moves in the past...

But frankly, if you seriously believe the silly horsecrap you've been spewing about Lloyd in here, you're out of your tiny mind... I mean, from this point forward I'll know that I'm dealing with a mindless Skins homer of a not uncommon variety, the one who immediately elevates any player the Skins add to star status, and trashes every player that leaves the Skin as not worth keeping around, no big loss...

Guys like you are a cliche... the only thing interesting about it is waiting to see what next submoronic homeristic take will be...

Good luck gettin' that job done, wild man... I'd suggest you pack a lunch...

Make that a few years worth of lunches... maybe it would make more sense to just go buy yourself a catering truck, you're gonna be here a while...
:lmao2:

Bear, when you growl, it cracks me up.

Yakuza Rich

Reaction score
I think it's a great pickup for Washington as now they can move Patten to the slot where he's more suited to play.

The only silver lining is a buddy of mine that's a huge Niners fan said that Lloyd really fell out of favor with the organization and wasn't really well liked by coaches and teammates. They also had concerns about him getting into rapping.

That being said, for what the Skins gave up, it's still a great deal.

Rich...........