Drafted by Cowboys 4th Round Pick - DE Dorance Armstrong Jr, Kansas (116th pick)

Status
Not open for further replies.

xwalker

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
His 40 time is slow, but you can see he has a quick burst which is far more important.
Db7OO49XcAAYuh1.jpg

Ten Yard Time
DLaw 1.68
Armstrong 1.69

BAT

Mr. Fixit
Reaction score
Your proof of better technique is a scouting report. Relax. I was hoping you actually watched for yourself. I know that’s rare on here

LOL. What a hypocrite. You would have attacked any proof I showed you, especially if it was first hand knowledge.

You are being contrary because you signed a check that you can't cash, just own up to it.

From betting me his life savings that I could not produce ONE explanation regarding his lack of technique to the new requirement of what did I see personally that leads me to believe he is raw in terms of technique is laughable and the definition of moving the goal posts.

The shell game scam is pitiful and unnecessary.

Last edited:

blueblood70

Reaction score
was the oddest pick of the day., head scratcher with Ealy, Taco, and possible gregory all there and get an end vs a DT but im sure they had reason..

speedkilz88

Reaction score
So was Gregory a 3-4 rusher along with tj watt? Just curious
Gregory (and Maliek Collins) played with his hand down in a 4-3 defense similar to the Cowboys. The scouts projected that TJ Watt could put his hand down but they never saw it on film he played strictly stand up in a 3-4. So the coaches/front office decided not to take the chance.

blueblood70

Reaction score
Totally agree.
he does David Irving will be that guy, NOT a HOF, but if you don't notice when hes healthy and not suspended he makes the defense goes and elevates Dlaw..when he was out the last 4 games it was obvious..hes a beast , if you cant see that you havent been paying attention..they tendered him high and have him back for reason, to prove he can be the guy for 16 games and get rich doing it..Warren was there but so were other and Rice ..so Irving/Dlaw like Warren /Rice..thats the hope, it was working well and made the entire defense good.. I promise if Vea or Payne would have been available at 19 they would be DC right now..they weren't , lets move on ..

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score
was the oddest pick of the day., head scratcher with Ealy, Taco, and possible gregory all there and get an end vs a DT but im sure they had reason..
You can never have enough defensive linemen...especially when they are as unreliable as Gregory, Tapper, Taco and Early have been.

America's Cowboy

Reaction score
he does David Irving will be that guy, NOT a HOF, but if you don't notice when hes healthy and not suspended he makes the defense goes and elevates Dlaw..when he was out the last 4 games it was obvious..hes a beast , if you cant see that you havent been paying attention..they tendered him high and have him back for reason, to prove he can be the guy for 16 games and get rich doing it..Warren was there but so were other and Rice ..so Irving/Dlaw like Warren /Rice..thats the hope, it was working well and made the entire defense good.. I promise if Vea or Payne would have been available at 19 they would be DC right now..they weren't , lets move on ..
Obviously, you have not paid attention to what position(s) David Irving plays and how that is totally different than playing a 1-tech DT position. Responsibilities and differences apart by miles. No, let's not move on.

BAT

Mr. Fixit
Reaction score
Ten Yard Time
DLaw 1.68
Armstrong 1.69

The comparison to Tank doesn't work. Tank is successful because he is an elite technician, super savvy about opposing players weaknesses and is a savage hand fighter to make up for his average to below average athleticism. Armstrong is neither an elite athlete nor does he have the football IQ or knowledge of hand fighting/setting up opponents/pass rushing technique.

The 10 yard time for either player is not really special.

drawandstrike

Reaction score
Yeah no.

Too many of you are focused on colllege game film where you have this fixiation 'what you see from a guy in a college scheme is what you'll see in the pro's when working for pro coaches in a different scheme.'

Actually you're wrong. And the draft proves you massively wrong in this EVERY SINGLE YEAR.

Every single year there are players that looked like nothing much playing in a college scheme who gets scouted & drafted by pro coaches and scouts who believed after their evaluation of that player that they could coach and develop him up into a contributor in the NFL.

Scouts and coahces who spent hundreds of hours every year getting ready for the draft by developing player evaluations and putting these players through drills.

Some guy watched 3 college highlight videos and says 'Nah, not happening. All those scouts and coaches wasted all that time looking at this guy. Those NFL owners should be paying ME, not them."

GOOD teams know how to scout for their coaches and develop players once they get there. BAD teams pretend they can do this.

So essentially what many of you are saying is we have BAD SCOUTS and BAD COACHES who picked a guy who can't be coached or developed to contribute to our team.

Now add to this the fact many of you have no idea how they are planning to use this guy after they draft him. What's the plan? Play him strictly as a hand down DE edge rusher or develop him into a OLB/DE hybrid who can play both ways?

Looks to me like somebody on this scouting staff look at this 20 year old kid and said "You know, in 2-3 pro seasons, I bet I could turn this kid into something."

That guy's a professional. He knows he's going to be evaluated later by the people up the chain if he consistently misses on evaluations like this. He gets paid to make these judgements.

Me? I watched about 4 highlight videos and that's it. Nobody's paying me a dime to draft him or coach and develop him.

But I know enough not to say 'bust' at this point. Let the coaches work and when this guy is 23 years old after 3 pro seasons we can all come back and see if the scouts and coaches hit on this pick or if was a miss.

beware_d-ware

Reaction score
Yeah no.

Too many of you are focused on colllege game film where you have this fixiation 'what you see from a guy in a college scheme is what you'll see in the pro's when working for pro coaches in a different scheme.'

Actually you're wrong. And the draft proves you massively wrong in this EVERY SINGLE YEAR.

Yeah, and you know how many times it also proves people right? Check the pre-draft prediction threads. There are draft busts that guys call ahead of time every year by just watching games on TV.

Tape doesn't lie, and when the tape shows you a small, slow edge rusher with no production in his last year, it's hard to get excited about his outlook going forward.

FuzzyLumpkins

The Boognish
Reaction score

Not really. We have power ends in spades. We don't have any speed ends worth a **** with Gregory suspended and Tapper made of glass.

You can play power ends on either side but some OT's weakness is speed and not power and vice versa. Armstrong's game is upfield burst dip and rip.

FuzzyLumpkins

The Boognish
Reaction score
Yeah, and you know how many times it also proves people right? Check the pre-draft prediction threads. There are draft busts that guys call ahead of time every year by just watching games on TV.

Tape doesn't lie, and when the tape shows you a small, slow edge rusher with no production in his last year, it's hard to get excited about his outlook going forward.

I addressed this in my thoughts but i didn't see that in the tape at all. He was asked to 2 gap his last year as opposed to the 1 gap penetrator he was allowed to be the year before. He's not slow in the short area at all.

He's also not small. He has 34" arms and is 6'4". He has good bend so maybe he looks short to you but he isn't. If you want to say weak then fine. He definitely needs to get stronger in the upper body. He is okay anchoring.

FuzzyLumpkins

The Boognish
Reaction score
Status
Not open for further replies.