Drafted by Cowboys 4th Round Pick - DE Dorance Armstrong Jr, Kansas (116th pick)

Status
Not open for further replies.

BAT

Mr. Fixit
Reaction score
Drafted in the 4th at 166 means he was a good value pick.

He will be a practice squad guy who is ready to challenge for a spot on the 53 in a year.

A bigger and stronger and smarter version of Armstrong is one I'm anxious to see in preseason next year.

Armstrong not going on PS I'm almost certain.

LarryCanadian

Reaction score
From 10 sacks to 1.5 sacks and it has nothing to do with injury? That complete drop off in production plus his really poor measurables having nothing to do with injury actually worry me more now.

Yep, the production drop worries me more now also, when the excuse of a bad knee can't be used. A switch from 4-3 to 3-4 could explain it I guess, need to do more reading - I don't know much about the player.

stilltheguru88

Reaction score
Your contributions are truly a credit to this board. Scintilating.
What makes his technique better? At least I’m not throwing **** against the wall to see if it sticks. I’d put my life savings that you won’t have an answer regarding technique. Beat it

BAT

Mr. Fixit
Reaction score

Doomsday

Rising Star
Reaction score
His 40 time is slow, but you can see he has a quick burst which is far more important.
Db7OO49XcAAYuh1.jpg

SSoup

Reaction score
I bit of an odd pick; I wonder if they think they'd try him at OLB, but seems a bit too slow to chase.
His combine numbers look similar to Wilber's and we let him hang around at LB even after we switched from the 3-4 scheme he was meant to play OLB in. So you never know.

SSoup

Reaction score
Marinelli made his bones in this league coaching the Bucs' d-line. Sapp came into the league undersized and didn't become a 300+ pounder until later in his career when he stopped being explosive and settled for being plain fat. And Booger McFarland was 299 when he entered the league. I don't think Brad Culpepper was in the 300's either, and if he was, he probably just barely cracked them.

Complaining that Marinelli isn't a size queen is like the people who kept complaining that Parcells wasn't going after the speedy midget LBs we'd used to be obsessed with back when we ran a different defense.

I look forward to the day when Marinelli is gone because I think the Tampa 2 nonsense had its day and it's passed. But I'm not going to beat my head bloody every offseason banging it against the wall and pitching hissy fits waiting for him to fall in love with 340-pounders.

Hawkeye0202

Reaction score
Just when the Cowboys seem to be picking well, they drop a head scratcher. Right on cue. Why another DE when they already have tons of DEs??? Why didn't they instead try to shore up the interior Dline by going for someone like Tim Settle instead?

Simple.......this kid was draft with an eye on the future. Who's future ........DLaw. As of now, he's a 3-4 edge rusher with similar weight ( 257lbs) when DLaw was drafted ( 251lb). DLaw is now around 265. Read more than a few times FO and DLaw are miles apart on a long-term deal. When you consider that, DLaw injury history, the price of 2nd tag and how it will affect his floor for the long-term deal, this guy is insurance. Just need about a year bulk up a bit 10lbs or so. A Stephen Jones pick all the way.........

America's Cowboy

Reaction score
Simple.......this kid was draft with an eye on the future. Who's future ........DLaw. As of now, he's a 3-4 edge rusher with similar weight ( 257lbs) when DLaw was drafted ( 251lb). DLaw is now around 265. Read more than a few times FO and DLaw are miles apart on a long-term deal. When you consider that, DLaw injury history, the price of 2nd tag and how it will affect his floor for the long-term deal, this guy is insurance. Just need about a year bulk up a bit 10lbs or so. A Stephen Jones pick all the way.........
Makes sense. Thanks Hawkeye for the explanation.

stilltheguru88

Reaction score
So was Gregory a 3-4 rusher along with tj watt? Just curious

stilltheguru88

Reaction score
Check Gregory weight and TJ plays in 3-4 for Steelers. My guess with Gregory was the same as DLaw, add about 10+ lbs.
But many wanted tj here and we don’t run a 3-4. I just see too much inconsistency based on people’s bias. How is 235 pound Gregory a 4-3 end that guys wish had his hea on straight but not 6’4 257 pound Armstrong? That’s wild to me

lukin2006

Reaction score
Fact. This is why I want Marinelli gone already. He needs to retire. Every year our biggest weakness on the Dline has been our interior Dline and how opposing offenses run at will right up our gutt. Marinelli's stubborness has run its course. I just don't understand what they are thinking?

Marrineli somehow vaulted to DC after the SB win in Tampa when he was a D-line coach. What I don't understand with Marrinelli, was he aware that he had a HOF DT in Warren Sapp on his roster in Tampa? Marrinelli needs to go...

Status
Not open for further replies.