Drafted by Cowboys 4th Round Pick - DE Dorance Armstrong Jr, Kansas (116th pick)

Status
Not open for further replies.

drawandstrike

Reaction score
Yeah, and you know how many times it also proves people right? Check the pre-draft prediction threads. There are draft busts that guys call ahead of time every year by just watching games on TV.

Tape doesn't lie, and when the tape shows you a small, slow edge rusher with no production in his last year, it's hard to get excited about his outlook going forward.

Teams don't hit on every one of their draft picks? That's not news. I'm saying they draft with the expectation after 2-3 seasons of coaching a guy up they can turn him into something. Our coaches/staff has about 50% success rate at this, which makes them one of the better teams. Guys who were not dominant in college because THE TAPE showed them being too slow, too small too SOMETHING become good NFL players every single year. More than a few become GREAT NFL players.

And scouts making the right call and coaches doing a good job causes that every year. You have no idea at this point if Armstrong is a hit or a miss.

blueblood70

Reaction score
Yeah no.

Too many of you are focused on colllege game film where you have this fixiation 'what you see from a guy in a college scheme is what you'll see in the pro's when working for pro coaches in a different scheme.'

Actually you're wrong. And the draft proves you massively wrong in this EVERY SINGLE YEAR.

Every single year there are players that looked like nothing much playing in a college scheme who gets scouted & drafted by pro coaches and scouts who believed after their evaluation of that player that they could coach and develop him up into a contributor in the NFL.

Scouts and coahces who spent hundreds of hours every year getting ready for the draft by developing player evaluations and putting these players through drills.

Some guy watched 3 college highlight videos and says 'Nah, not happening. All those scouts and coaches wasted all that time looking at this guy. Those NFL owners should be paying ME, not them."

GOOD teams know how to scout for their coaches and develop players once they get there. BAD teams pretend they can do this.

So essentially what many of you are saying is we have BAD SCOUTS and BAD COACHES who picked a guy who can't be coached or developed to contribute to our team.

Now add to this the fact many of you have no idea how they are planning to use this guy after they draft him. What's the plan? Play him strictly as a hand down DE edge rusher or develop him into a OLB/DE hybrid who can play both ways?

Looks to me like somebody on this scouting staff look at this 20 year old kid and said "You know, in 2-3 pro seasons, I bet I could turn this kid into something."

That guy's a professional. He knows he's going to be evaluated later by the people up the chain if he consistently misses on evaluations like this. He gets paid to make these judgements.

Me? I watched about 4 highlight videos and that's it. Nobody's paying me a dime to draft him or coach and develop him.

But I know enough not to say 'bust' at this point. Let the coaches work and when this guy is 23 years old after 3 pro seasons we can all come back and see if the scouts and coaches hit on this pick or if was a miss.
Nice thought for sure. I believe this can be said about this entire site full of fans opinions who think they can do better or know more than coaches who work 80 hours a week trying to get the best game plans in and best players in postion to win.. every critic and know it all on this site seem to also know the outcome of the season before game 1 and how the draft is already a failure before they hit their fist practice..

Its amazing all these arm chair QBs, GM, and coaches know so much they are wasting 5 hrs a day in a SM forum instead of getting hired by the cowboys and taking us to several Sbs..

lets let the proverbial process work, each year is anew year with new faces and typically a huge part of the team is turned over over a 5yr stretch and judging this current staff and team going back 20yrs is futile..its anew season.. Lets appreciate we at least have team thats completive and gives us hope every year..it could be much worse..

blueblood70

Reaction score
GRADE: 3rd Round (#96 overall)

Drafted in the 4th at 166 means he was a good value pick.

You can never have too many pass rushers.
i didnt say Bad i said ODD given the fact that we brought in Ealy and possibly have Gregory coming back and what Tapper, Taco, Lawerence etc all on the roster.. we needed big ugly DT or safety to develop instead..

Status
Not open for further replies.