5 greatest Cowboys ever: name 'em

BigStar

Stop chasing
Reaction score
2000-09 had to be Witten. If it was 2005-14, it would have been Ware. Romo hasn't been as good at his position as those two have been at theirs, but he would make my top 3.

60's Lilly, Renfro, Howley
70's Staubach, Wright, Harris
80's R White, Dorsett, Walls
90's Smith, Allen, Aikman
00's Witten, Ware, Romo

Yeah, you have schooled me on Witten's contribution before;) One of the OG's of the forum( for good reason). Respect!

dcowboysfan76

Reaction score
In my opinion it depends on the era or who you've actually seen play. This type of thread will always bring about a good discussion as well as a multitude of arguments. If you are an 80's baby like myself you should be able to come up with a nice smorgasbord.

dallasdave

Reaction score
the problem is the criteria...what makes them a top 5 cowboy?

I would go
Roger Staubach
Troy Aikman
Larry Allen
Randy White
Bob Lilly
apologies to next runners up (not in order): LR.Jordan, E.Smith, M.Irvin. T.Romo, D.Ware, T.Dorsett, D.Woodson, J.Witten, D.Pearson

Love this list;)

dallasdave

Reaction score
the problem is the criteria...what makes them a top 5 cowboy?

I would go
Roger Staubach
Troy Aikman
Larry Allen
Randy White
Bob Lilly
apologies to next runners up (not in order): LR.Jordan, E.Smith, M.Irvin. T.Romo, D.Ware, T.Dorsett, D.Woodson, J.Witten, D.Pearson

Well said indeed sir. Others who leave off Aikman, forget he was the QB who led us to 3 Superbowl wins.

KB1122

Reaction score
Roger Staubach
Emmitt Smith
Bob Lilly
Tony Dorsett
Deion Sanders

Tawney88

Reaction score
Personally for all of you who added Deion Sanders, I think your fan cards should be revoked. :)

Seriously though he isn't a top 5 Dallas Cowboy of all time. Top 5 cb yes not Cowboy. Jmo

jaybird

Reaction score
Mr. Cowboy, Bob Lilly
Captain America, Roger Staubach
The Rushing Champion, Emmitt Smith
The NFL's Strongest man, Larry Allen
The Manster, Randy White
For Players only, that list does it for me. All list must start with Emmit, Roger and Lilly,

Doomsday101

Reaction score
Impossible question since there are more than 5 greatest to play for the Cowboys franchise.

LittleBoyBlue

Redvolution
Reaction score
Going only by 90s. Was too young for 70s teams.

Greatest? ... I only have three.

Emmitt
Troy
Irvin

Wish we would have had a home grown Lawrence Taylor.

CooterBrown

Reaction score
Setting aside a player's skill set and just considering what intangibles they brought to the team, the ones that seem to lacking on this version of the team, Staubach, Aikman, Lily, R. White, Irvin. Those five were so fiercely competitive, they made the teams better and led them to win.