Twitter: 5 safeties the Cowboys could dive into free agency for

stilltheguru

Reaction score
Wouldn't take much to be an upgrade over the safeties on our roster. Plus he knows Quinn and the system and can help stabilize the back end with some football IQ. He has also been hurt quite a bit, so how much of his declining play is due to injuries? I'm not saying he is a long term "solution" or even a huge upgrade-- just that he may be able to help us more than a guy like Thompson or X Woods would going forward
I was talking about upgrade over Wilson. If you go by name hes better but wilson is a better football player imo. Neal was drafted high by quinn trying to recreate Kam chancellor but those safeties are dead in the nfl it seems.

Hawkeye19

Reaction score
I was talking about upgrade over Wilson. If you go by name hes better but wilson is a better football player imo. Neal was drafted high by quinn trying to recreate Kam chancellor but those safeties are dead in the nfl it seems.

I'd still consider bringing him in for depth and leadership reasons. We need some vet experience on the backend, and whether or not Neal starts over Wilson, he would be an outstanding 3rd safety at a minimum. I'm also in favor of drafting youth at CB and S and stockpiling some picks there along with LB and DT.

stilltheguru

Reaction score
I'd still consider bringing him in for depth and leadership reasons. We need some vet experience on the backend, and whether or not Neal starts over Wilson, he would be an outstanding 3rd safety at a minimum. I'm also in favor of drafting youth at CB and S and stockpiling some picks there along with LB and DT.
I agree about having a vet. I just dont know hes a line everybody up type. I could be wrong.

TwentyOne

Reaction score

Pessimist_cowboy

Reaction score
Simmons ... cost too much
Maye ... cost too much
Thomas ... no. Just no
Williams ... would be cheaper than the rest. But likely still getting 8-10 per year
Harris ... cost too much

Harrison Smith IMO, is more of what we’ve seen here. He’s better suited playing closer to the LOS.

Most likely signings IMO ... Kazee or Woods back on a one year deal.
Is the money coming out of your bank account? I don’t understand Dallas fans. What the hell do you want to save money for? I mean we desperately need a safety go get him. And no we don’t need money to “ sign our own”. The Cowboys have been doing that for 5-6 years and how’s that working out? Contenders around the league pay free agents.

Carson

Reaction score
Is the money coming out of your bank account? I don’t understand Dallas fans. What the hell do you want to save money for? I mean we desperately need a safety go get him. And no we don’t need money to “ sign our own”. The Cowboys have been doing that for 5-6 years and how’s that working out? Contenders around the league pay free agents.

I didn’t say save that money. We just won’t have $15 million per to pay a safety once we sign Dak. I’d like us to spend what’s left on a 1 tech and hopefully a safety.

But the reality is, we aren’t paying a top tier safety. This team hasn’t drafted a safety before round 2 since Roy Williams. They also haven’t signed anybody in their prime at safety. Hamlin, Pool etc. Believe me, I’ve been begging to draft a safety high or sign a big name guy for years.

Kazee is a perfect signing if he can go.

stilltheguru

Reaction score
Rayshawn Jenkins would be an infinitely better option than Neal if people would get off the name and familiarity. He actually played single high before (neal hasnt). Dallas should be all over him but he was never a first rounder or played for Quinn or fat Garrett

Carson

Reaction score
Rayshawn Jenkins would be an infinitely better option than Neal if people would get off the name and familiarity. He actually played single high before (neal hasnt). Dallas should be all over him but he was never a first rounder or played for Quinn or fat Garrett

I think it would be Kazee over Neal

fivetwos

Reaction score

This the type of dawg we need on defense @WillieBeamen @Zordon

Why isn't this guy mentioned more often?

Seems like a better bet than two guys who blew out their achilles last fall.

Also much cheaper than Harris or Simmons.

I still want someone high in the draft as well as a veteran but I know in my gut its going to be Woods on a multi year deal and we continue to get no better.

Carson

Reaction score

I still want someone high in the draft as well as a veteran but I know in my gut its going to be Woods on a multi year deal and we continue to get no better.
Exactly.

I can see it now. Jerry panics and overpays Woods. When in reality nobody is paying much for him

fivetwos

Reaction score
Exactly.

I can see it now. Jerry panics and overpays Woods. When in reality nobody is paying much for him
Yep.

I'm serious about Woods. He will get crap for offers on the open market because the rest of the league is honest about what they see on film.

The agent will give Jerry a big story about him wanting to be a Cowboy for life and he will eat it up.

Then they can also continue to tell themselves what a steal they got in the 6th round.

I can see 4/35m when no one else is offering a third of that amount.

Only real way around it is if this organization suddenly learns how to be honest with themselves about their own drafting and player performances.

stilltheguru

Reaction score

Dallas is dumb, thats why I question the mcclay love. Theyll be focused on former quinn players and injury prone guys.

Typhus

Captain Catfish
Reaction score
Its funny people talk about speed and range. Simmons ran a 4.62 lol but anyway
Despite that, you cant deny that he had a really great combine.
Simmons’ 40-inch vertical jump, 3.85-second 20-yard shuttle and 10.84-second 60-yard shuttle all ranked No. 1 among safeties. His 10-foot, six-inch broad jump ranked fourth at his position and his 4.61-second 40-yard dash ranked seventh among safeties in that draft.
Its not always and never has been just about that 40

Typhus

Captain Catfish
Reaction score
Like Haha Clinton Dix.

Wonderful.

What about a Safety at 10 in the draft?
Red you have been absent lately,, do you have your doctors note?
You are not allowed to ask that question until you do your home work.
No safties at 10,, now go stand in the corner for at least 10 minutes

Typhus

Captain Catfish
Reaction score
Depends on what we want
I really think that Jerry is looking at the clock which is why Nolan was key go after only 1 year despite being MM buddy

we need to sign one of the 4 above along with Tomlinson in FA
If the Cowboys just come away with Tomlinson this year, than its a monumental off season win win.
Would give Quinn a true NT and Gallimores development would explode

RustyBourneHorse

Reaction score
Mike picked a safety in the first before so here's to hoping they'll address the position. We need a range safety. Wilson looks like the box is his magical spot.

I definitely hope that we do, and Dan Quin probably want defence first as do I.