6 Qbs poised to be elite in 2017

Trouty

Kellen Moore baby
Reaction score
Yeah because of their quarterback.
Ok, bubba. Not because of OLine, lack of running game. It was Stafford.

Never mind their leading rusher had 860 yds, or the fact that he was sacked 45 times, both in 2014. Or his 4,257 yds passing (397 against us in the Div Playoff game) and his 22-12 TD:INT

Cuz, you know, those are just facts. Never mind them.

It was Stafford...

Here, have a looksy:

http://www.pro-football-reference.com/teams/det/2014.htm

Trouty

Kellen Moore baby
Reaction score
Yeah because of their quarterback.
And here, he had even better numbers in 2016 but his leading rusher had 357 yds. Sacked 37 times. 4,300 yds, 24:10 TD/INT. Also led the league in 4th qtr comebacks.

2014 and 2016 were the last two years he made the playoffs. He was really, really good and had no line and no running game.

But it's because of Stafford.

http://www.pro-football-reference.com/teams/det/2016.htm

Luther

I am who they thought I was!
Reaction score
CZ is in denial with Winston. Seriously. This is the only NFL fansite I see it on.

Watch him play. Get SundayTicket. And stop with the "immature" or "stupid" nonsense. If you say that, I know you don't watch him -- all he does is lead. He's poised. And everything else I stated in that other post somewhere above.

His intangibles are off the chart. He's stopped his shenanigans the day he left Florida St.

I get the feeling that Winston is a few years from elite ... and may or may not get there. But I see Mariotta very close with a higher ceiling. Time will tell but my 25 cents is on Mariotta being better for the next 2-3 years.

It will be fun watching it play out, however it goes. They are both exciting players for me to watch.

Trouty

Kellen Moore baby
Reaction score
I get the feeling that Winston is a few years from elite ... and may or may not get there. But I see Mariotta very close with a higher ceiling. Time will tell but my 25 cents is on Mariotta being better for the next 2-3 years.

It will be fun watching it play out, however it goes. They are both exciting players for me to watch.
Definitely fun to watch them. I'm different, tho -- I view Mariota as having a higher floor, but lower ceiling to that of Winston. But we shall see, as you said, Luther :)

ChronicCowboy

Reaction score
Stafford and Carr are already there. Dak, Mariota and Winston I agree with. Tanehill is a JAG. Wentz and Goff will struggle until their teams markedly improve.

Last edited:

DFWJC

Reaction score
Ok, bubba. Not because of OLine, lack of running game. It was Stafford.

Never mind their leading rusher had 860 yds, or the fact that he was sacked 45 times, both in 2014. Or his 4,257 yds passing (397 against us in the Div Playoff game) and his 22-12 TD:INT

Cuz, you know, those are just facts. Never mind them.

It was Stafford...

Here, have a looksy:

http://www.pro-football-reference.com/teams/det/2014.htm
Uh....BOOM
:laugh:

School

Reaction score
Mariotta - Best young qb in the league. Throws receivers open with anticipation and accuracy. Succeeds despite playing in an offense that doesn't suit his skill set well. A good deep ball away from being the total package.

Dak - We all know him well. Good qb right now even if he doesn't improve further.

Tannehill - Supporting cast has been an anchor around his neck. Put him on Oakland and he'd be seen in a completely different light. Terrific deep passer despite his reputation. He can extend plays with athleticism, can make great throws in the face of pressure, and rarely throws interceptable passes.

Stafford - Has been in the league seemingly forever, so he probably is what he is: inconsistent. One the biggest arms ever but now he throws mostly short by design to minimize accuracy and (major) decision-making issues.

Carr - Unlike a guy like Tannehill, Carr is consistently given clean pockets by the best non-Cowboys o-line in the league. This, combined with his big-time arm and a pair of terrific receivers, would seemingly lead to an aggressive offense. But in reality, Carr is overly cautious and too often rushes to his checkdown option, which actually limits the offense.

Winston - Huge talent coming out of coming college, but has not developed as hoped. Moves in the pocket very well and flashes great anticipation at times, but sloppy mechanics, major accuracy issues, and poor decision making lead to way too many interceptable passes.

Edit: Wentz is rightfully left off this list.

Trouty

Kellen Moore baby
Reaction score
Mariotta - Best young qb in the league. Throws receivers open with anticipation and accuracy. Succeeds despite playing in an offense that doesn't suit his skill set well. A good deep ball away from being the total package.

Dak - We all know him well. Good qb right now even if he doesn't improve further.

Tannehill - Supporting cast has been an anchor around his neck. Put him on Oakland and he'd be seen in a completely different light. Terrific deep passer despite his reputation. He can extend plays with athleticism, can make great throws in the face of pressure, and rarely throws interceptable passes.

Stafford - Has been in the league seemingly forever, so he probably is what he is: inconsistent. One the biggest arms ever but now he throws mostly short by design to minimize accuracy and (major) decision-making issues.

Carr - Unlike a guy like Tannehill, Carr is consistently given clean pockets by the best non-Cowboys o-line in the league. This, combined with his big-time arm and a pair of terrific receivers, would seemingly lead to an aggressive offense. But in reality, Carr is overly cautious and too often rushes to his checkdown option, which actually limits the offense.

Winston - Huge talent coming out of coming college, but has not developed as hoped. Moves in the pocket very well and flashes great anticipation at times, but sloppy mechanics, major accuracy issues, and poor decision making lead to way too many interceptable passes.

Edit: Wentz is rightfully left off this list.
Appreciate the breakdown, truly, brother. But I disagree with all of it. Literally, all of it, on one level or another.

PJTHEDOORS

Reaction score

I'll take Dak. Pretty sure Oakland fans say they'll take Carr. TB fans say they'll take Winston, etc.

School

Reaction score
Appreciate the breakdown, truly, brother. But I disagree with all of it. Literally, all of it, on one level or another.
Haha well I am a bit surprised you disagree with all of it, but I have no problem with dissenting opinions.

School

Reaction score
I'll take Dak. Pretty sure Oakland fans say they'll take Carr. TB fans say they'll take Winston, etc.
Most probably would, although part of that would be due to familiarity and part due to emotional attachment.

Mariotta may be the best young qb now, but that doesn't mean he'll continue to be that. It's possible Dak surpasses him next year, and I wouldn't blame anybody for taking Dak.