7 Cowboys Whose Time Is Running Out In Dallas

Carson

Reaction score
He is such an enigma to me. There are times he makes such smart and heady plays but then other times he does something stupid or gets burned.

I suspect he's back because he'll be cheap. Someone might pay Awuzie more than we might be willing to. I can't imagine we won't bring back at least one of the CBs just for depth purposes.

He’s a solid and willing tackle. Absolutely awful in coverage

CalPolyTechnique

Reaction score
He is such an enigma to me. There are times he makes such smart and heady plays but then other times he does something stupid or gets burned.

I suspect he's back because he'll be cheap. Someone might pay Awuzie more than we might be willing to. I can't imagine we won't bring back at least one of the CBs just for depth purposes.
Yeah, I’d wager one of the two (Awuzie or Lewis) gets brought back. Like you said, I think some other team will see a potential starter in Awuzie and offer him a more lucrative contract and a fresh start. My guess is Lewis won’t be seen that way.

ChronicCowboy

Reaction score
I think we’ll resign Lewis but not Chido. The rest of the guys (minus Zeke) should be replaced. Biadasz will replace Looney, Hunter should replace Jones, Lee should retire to coaching, and Crawford/Woods need to sign elsewhere.

Jipper

Reaction score
True, but we've seen plenty of times when Zeke is in the open field, but he couldn't do much with it, anymore.

yeah he doesn’t have the home run threat ability he had in year 1....but I did see that he was 3rd in the nfl last year in plays of 10 yards or more which shows he’s still explosive just not big plays

cern

Reaction score
"Awuzie, Crawford, Lewis, Lee, Woods, Looney, Jones (punter). Elliott? File Elliott under players who should not return in 2021 but will. This has been the worst season Elliott has had in Dallas by far. And the fact he’s the 2nd highest paid RB in the NFL this season is utterly ridiculous." by Steven Mullenax

Thoughts?!

https://thelandryhat.com/2020/12/21/dallas-cowboys-6-time-running-out/6/
https://thelandryhat.com/2020/11/28/dallas-cowboys-5-should-not-return-2021/4/
crawford, lee and x.woods should be definites. probably punter jones as well. looney is valuable. he can play center and guard. awuzie and lewis have their moments. zeke for cap reasons is safe next year. after that, who knows.

quickccc

Reaction score
I mean I get it with zeke but I’d bete even Derrick Henry would struggle if you made him play with 3rd stringers on the oline and kept shuffling....all the rest are pretty logical

while i don't think Henry would fare as better behind this patched work OL, and a coaching staff that is successfully schematically designing a run game that well fits what Henry does,
Henry is making splash plays that ZKE is just not making, ,.and would not make as he is now.

we cannot keep making excuses for Zeke- we see Pollard show creativity and splash plays behind the same patchwork OL, but yet Zeke cannot ?
:huh:

Jipper

Reaction score
while i don't think Henry would fare as better behind this patched work OL, and a coaching staff that is successfully schematically designing a run game that well fits what Henry does,
Henry is making splash plays that ZKE is just not making, ,.and would not make as he is now.

we cannot keep making excuses for Zeke- we see Pollard show creativity and splash plays behind the same patchwork OL, but yet Zeke cannot ?
:huh:

agree we can’t make excuses but we do need to account for the situation having some bearing on his performance

as for pollard....if he doesn’t have that 40 yard run last game he only has 29 yards and a sub 3 average...so let’s also not act like he has been incredible...that 40 yard run was awesome though

quickccc

Reaction score
agree we can’t make excuses but we do need to account for the situation having some bearing on his performance

as for pollard....if he doesn’t have that 40 yard run last game he only has 29 yards and a sub 3 average...so let’s also not act like he has been incredible...that 40 yard run was awesome though

equally wise don't act like Pollard did not make/create that 40 yd run as a credit to himself. the point that he did show creativity and splash ability. .. and that's not just talking about just that lone one big TD run vs Niners, but his whole body of work of the several splash plays that he has made this year in the very limited amount of touches that he has had.

quickccc

Reaction score
"Awuzie, Crawford, Lewis, Lee, Woods, Looney, Jones (punter). Elliott? File Elliott under players who should not return in 2021 but will. This has been the worst season Elliott has had in Dallas by far. And the fact he’s the 2nd highest paid RB in the NFL this season is utterly ridiculous." by Steven Mullenax

Thoughts?!

None of the aforementioned guys on defense are cornerstone players that are difference makers on defense. punter Chris Jones and injuries have tolled out his body and Nicewander is a fresh healthy punter who has performed nicely in his stint. Jones is/should be gone

Writers in media and some fans dunno that ZKE is on his last legs but now it’s media shock value and fanfare spectacle at hand.

Me ? I’d put it everything I can on plan, do everything in my power, that says not only can he can be resurrected back and closet to the previous 2016 form but also more revised ways where he is not taking on as much toll and wear

As he’s being doing since he arrive here in 2016. People dunno that even the blitz blocking he’s asked to do, even takes a pounding toll.
We’re simply not doing what we can to spell and relief him.

1) Re-condition his body to re-create his burst
2) Reducing his work load and touches to lessen toll wear on his body;

Reaction score
It is what it is with Zeke. He isn't going anywhere for a year. Likely two.
I would like to keep Chido. I still like his potential and abilities. Still has upside. Not sure he sould accept a one year, prove it deal though. Cowboys would need to make more of a commitment. Regardless, CB is a big need.
I read that Crawford may retire after this year.
I like Looney's versatility as a center and guard. Not a starter though

Carson

Reaction score
It is what it is with Zeke. He isn't going anywhere for a year. Likely two.
I would like to keep Chido. I still like his potential and abilities. Still has upside. Not sure he sould accept a one year, prove it deal though. Cowboys would need to make more of a commitment. Regardless, CB is a big need.
I read that Crawford may retire after this year.
I like Looney's versatility as a center and guard. Not a starter though

Nobody is going to pay big for Chido. So I’m with you. We should get him back for a one year deal. He’s only played 16 games once in four years.

FiveSuperBowls

Reaction score

Thoughts?!

Right, I don't expect Crawford, Lee, and Jones (Punter) back.

FuzzyLumpkins

The Boognish
Reaction score
Lost me when it said Elliot. No need to read further in a BS article.

there is a very compelling argument as to why Ezekiel Elliott should be gone from the team at that salary. Now at best with a June 1 cut we would only break even with his contract so sure this year does not make sense however it does make sense that his clock is ticking in the grand scheme of things.

blumayne38

Reaction score
I mean I get it with zeke but I’d bete even Derrick Henry would struggle if you made him play with 3rd stringers on the oline and kept shuffling....all the rest are pretty logical
Not to mention he is a one trick pony Henry, the most receptions in a season for him 17 or 18 I think. Henry has been a monster these past two seasons. But to think he will continue is very unlikely. Where was he when Marriotta was around? Likely stuck on the sideline due to not being able to catch passes out of the backfield consistently. Once Tannehill came along and started stretching the field Henry exploded..we will see I guess how long the titans and Henry can keep it up.

SteveTheCowboy

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
They should've drafted Zeke's replacement when he demanded a huge new contract after only 3 seasons. Especially with all his off the field issues and declining performance since 2016.
As one of zeke most well known biggest fans....I fully concur. It's true...I AM a zeke fan. But I am a Cowboys fan first.

I didn't like the hold out...didn't like the health when he returned. If it were me...I'd've let him sit for the year...or two. We'd probably not be in a much different boat than now...some extra money...bit it's possible Dak would have been injured earlier too...maybe.

Oh...you don't want to play for the contract you signed eh? Well, have a seat over here then.

His "off field issues" were magnified mostly by the fake phony suspension. Doesn't excuse all of it....but it brought a LOT of necessary attention and distraction...all for GODell to punish Jerry for his insubordination and success the year before.

RandyOh

Reaction score
All will be gone minus Looney and Elliott.

... Looney can come back on a cheap $1-2 million deal as insurance for Biadasz.

... Zeke will be back because nobody will take the contract. People link him to the Jets. Why would the Jets give the 2nd pick in round two when they can draft a guy like Etienne?

... Lewis or Awuzie will be back. They will sign a cheap one year deal and be part of the CB revamp. Diggs / Rookie / Brown / Lewis or Awuzie
well put. my same thoughts exactly

SteveTheCowboy

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
there is a very compelling argument as to why Ezekiel Elliott should be gone from the team at that salary. Now at best with a June 1 cut we would only break even with his contract so sure this year does not make sense however it does make sense that his clock is ticking in the grand scheme of things.
Imma say jazzcat was focused on "running out"...for this coming year. All players' time is "running out". Sooner or later.

Fla Cowpoke

Reaction score
We are stuck with Zeke, no matter how much we don't like it. Looney can be gone, Biadasz looked better when he was in there. Pretty much every other impact player on offense will be back.

The defense guys, there really is none of them that should be likely to come back...let them walk and look in free agency. Decide what kind of defense you are going to be and look for guys that fit that style. You want to be physical? Look for press corners that will make a receiver's life tough. You want to be a zone team, look for guys that play the best looking at the QB. Xavier Woods shouldn't even be allowed to mow the grass, much less take the field.