7 Sacks Broken Down

Kevinicus

Reaction score
Where have you been?

Probably with most of us in the real world.

This always happens. People make claims about what other people say that aren't remotely true.

I came across them where the inference was made...

If you want to find them... Start looking.

And then, when they can't provide evidence to support what they claim. They tell you to go find what doesn't exist.

dfense

Reaction score
Maybe you should do a breakdown of Daks league leading fumbles. How many excuses will there be? "Sweaty hands, not his fault."

Afigueroa22

Reaction score
Since everyone LOVES to blame Dak that he is holding the ball too long and it is all his fault...let's take a look at the 7:

1st: 3rd and 5 at NO 5; No where to go with the ball, DT breaks free in under 3 seconds, Makes contact with Dak 3.06 seconds. There was no one open and those that claim he had Zeke coming across the front, not open until he is about to get hit and Dak has already pulled it down. COVERAGE SACK. OL blocking was ok...not great.

2nd 3rd and 6- Sacked in 2.5 seconds. Sua Fila got beat bad. Had no chance at all. NOT DAKS FAULT.

3rd: 2nd and 6- Cowboys go empty set motioning Zeke out wide. N.O. goes looks to be man cover 2... Total coverage sack here as Dak had no where to go with the ball....at all. Sacked in 3.92 seconds. Started running at about 3.3 seconds and almost made it back to LOS. COVERAGE SACK. OL was good.

4th: 3rd and 7: This is the play where he pulls it down and gets the ball hit out of his hand by the defender in 2.3 seconds. Sua Fila got completely destroyed and pushed back into Dak in that amount of time. NOT HIS FAULT. OL was terrible.

5th- 1st and 10- Dak Sacked in 2.5 seconds. Protection was horrible as they brought a delayed blitz by the lb and he came running free on a stunt. Little chance for Dak to do anything. Don't have coaches film for this one so I can't see all of the options...may have had a crossing route with a bit more time. NOT DAK'S FAULT. Didn't Hold the ball to long. Limited option to dump to if any.

6th: 2nd and 8. Dak bails on a pretty good pocket in under 2 seconds. Not sure if this was a run try by Dak but this was the play Dak got facemasked with no call. If he stayed in the pocket, had Beasley in the flat where he was looking initially. On DAK as he ran into that sack (Do wonder if he was trying to run though)

7th: Sacked in 2.61 seconds. Fumbled trying to pass...can't see if he had a play without coaches film.

Horrible Protection!!! Not Dak's fault.

So 1 out of 7 can be directly attributed to Dak. The other's are a poor OL or Coverage Sacks.

Please stop repeating the stupid mantra that they are Dak's fault. Thank you.
In order for this post to have any merit you would have to know the average amount of time a QB has from the snap to throw the ball before a defender gets to him. If you don't know that number then yeah 3 seconds seems like the blink of an eye. Dak is tied for 2nd to last in that category. He's actually tied with Russell Wilson and Aaron Rodgers according to NFL next Gen stats at 2.93 seconds.

HungryLion

Reaction score
I don’t understand why some
Folks can’t admit it’s a two sided coin.

Do Dak’s deficiencies in pocket awareness lead to too many sacks? Absolutely.

Has the offensive line been pass protecting well this season? NO.

They are both true. Which is why we lead the league in sacks allowed. If only one of those two aspects were true, the team wouldn’t be leading the league in sacks allowed.

The offensive line has been getting its butt whipped in pass protection many times this season. Large part of that is due to injuries to our key guys. But that’s no excuse.

Dak’s poor pocket awareness doesn’t mean guys like la’el Collins and Connor and looney, etc don’t need to do their jobs.

ClintDagger

Reaction score
Isn't the Dallas OL some of the highest paid in the NFL and all taken relatively high in the draft? Yeah, I am going to blame them instead of the 4th round throw away pick making $1.50 a game.

If Dak starts making Romo money...then we can revisit this conversation. Until then, I need the OL to play up to their contract...Dak is playing up to his.
Half of those high priced guys aren’t playing though. If they were I don’t think any of this would be an issue. I think both the OL and QB are playing up to their contracts if you will. Clearly there is fault on the OL, the QB, and the scheme.

coult44

Reaction score
Since everyone LOVES to blame Dak that he is holding the ball too long and it is all his fault...let's take a look at the 7:

1st: 3rd and 5 at NO 5; No where to go with the ball, DT breaks free in under 3 seconds, Makes contact with Dak 3.06 seconds. There was no one open and those that claim he had Zeke coming across the front, not open until he is about to get hit and Dak has already pulled it down. COVERAGE SACK. OL blocking was ok...not great.

2nd 3rd and 6- Sacked in 2.5 seconds. Sua Fila got beat bad. Had no chance at all. NOT DAKS FAULT.

3rd: 2nd and 6- Cowboys go empty set motioning Zeke out wide. N.O. goes looks to be man cover 2... Total coverage sack here as Dak had no where to go with the ball....at all. Sacked in 3.92 seconds. Started running at about 3.3 seconds and almost made it back to LOS. COVERAGE SACK. OL was good.

4th: 3rd and 7: This is the play where he pulls it down and gets the ball hit out of his hand by the defender in 2.3 seconds. Sua Fila got completely destroyed and pushed back into Dak in that amount of time. NOT HIS FAULT. OL was terrible.

5th- 1st and 10- Dak Sacked in 2.5 seconds. Protection was horrible as they brought a delayed blitz by the lb and he came running free on a stunt. Little chance for Dak to do anything. Don't have coaches film for this one so I can't see all of the options...may have had a crossing route with a bit more time. NOT DAK'S FAULT. Didn't Hold the ball to long. Limited option to dump to if any.

6th: 2nd and 8. Dak bails on a pretty good pocket in under 2 seconds. Not sure if this was a run try by Dak but this was the play Dak got facemasked with no call. If he stayed in the pocket, had Beasley in the flat where he was looking initially. On DAK as he ran into that sack (Do wonder if he was trying to run though)

7th: Sacked in 2.61 seconds. Fumbled trying to pass...can't see if he had a play without coaches film.

So 1 out of 7 can be directly attributed to Dak. The other's are a poor OL or Coverage Sacks.

Ok.
Serious, if you would've said he was at fault for at least half, I could've at least listened to your argument. When you're completely one sided you lose me. Just like the guys who blame it all on Dak. Y'all need some objectivity

ClintDagger

Reaction score
Ok.
Serious, if you would've said he was at fault for at least half, I could've at least listened to your argument. When you're completely one sided you lose me. Just like the guys who blame it all on Dak. Y'all need some objectivity
The biggest homers I can think of are the radio announcers and the hosts on 105.3 and they were all killing Dak for taking those sacks, fumbling, and having no pocket presence. It’s all fair and deserved criticism. The people that are blind to all of that boggle my mind.

percyhoward

Research Tool
Reaction score
Has the offensive line been pass protecting well this season? NO.
It's easy for someone's opinion of the QB to cloud their judgment of the OL. The jury is still very much out on Dak. Now, separate issue: Pass protection this season has been average-to-terrible, depending on injuries, and overall has been bad.

Luck has the lowest sack rate in the NFL at 2.5%. Dak's 11.0% sack rate ranks as 32nd-lowest. If you take away the 14 sacks that PFF says are Dak's fault, that still leaves 31 sacks. That number alone is 7.8% of all dropbacks, which by itself would rank 24th, even if none of the sacks were the QB's fault.

lk8701

Reaction score

Coverage Sack? How about using your internal clock to throw the ball away?

Beaker42

Reaction score
We have all seen the one where Sua-Filo fell on his butt. Yep. That's one.

Then you get into a gray area.

So 3 or 4 out of 7? So nearly half are his fault? And good luck trying to figure out the line calls on all of them. Even the one where Collins mugged his man, he had plenty of time to make a decision but didn't.

That is some how acceptable?

And let's not even bother to get into the fact that he has fumbled more than any other player in the league.

That is solely on him.
Alexander - funny thing is, I’ve seen opposing O-linemen do to our guys what La’el did to the Saints rusher and it’s NEVER called against THEM.

cwbyfn88

Reaction score
The play where Dak pulled the ball down and fumbled it, no one hit it out of his hands. he has fumbled the ball like that multiple times this season. I'm sorry but the average time a QB has to hold the ball is 2.5 seconds. You have to go through your reads in that time. Make a decision and get the ball out. 3 seconds in the nfl is a lot of time. Can't blame the o-line for coverage sacks. Get the ball out. Throw it away. There was one sack where Yes a lineman got beat but Dak just never felt the guy coming. He has terrible pocket awareness as of right now. He had room to get out of the pocket to the right and tried to duck out of the reach of a different defender both coming from the left who also beat his man and got blindsided. Another sack you mentioned where he ran into the sack. The one to Zeke he had plenty of time to throw saw Zeke and couldn't pull the trigger. I really like Dak and want him to succeed. My criticism of him is my hope he works on his weakness and improves. He is Young and has plenty of time to mature. I mean he never got to ride the pine and learn under a vet. He was thrust into the spotlight and is now forced to learn on the fly. Do parents not love their children when they correct them? Not everyone is just a hater like Dak lovers claim. My assessment of the game is 50/50 blame for the sacks.

Parcells4Life

Reaction score
Eli, Peyton, Brees and Brady have played with bad OLs for years at a time. It’s still nearly impossible to sack them because they get the ball out.

You saw how much worse the Colts OL looked the last 8 years without Peyton/Luck compared to when they’re in there.

Think about 2014. Rodgers was on one leg literally in the playoff game and we still couldn’t get him because he gets the ball out.

Throwing the deep ball does not require holding for 5 seconds. Eli is actually very good at snap to launch in less than a second and even though the ball comes out early, OBJ has caught those passes.

Parcells said when you’ve matured as a QB you beg for them to blitz you. Dak just hasn’t matured yet to the level needed for this to be a complete team.

Number1

Reaction score
the issue is the sacks and has been since Tyrone's back tighten up last year.

Dak's taking a far worse pressure than Romo ever did in the 8-8 years. sure he's had a bunch of goofy looking plays, fumbles, odd misses, sack

the OL is the root cause here, first off I wish they resigned Cooper at LG, whatever they were going to do in the draft ... SJ say he wants TE and S next draft, I want new OL

last night Cam was often flat beaten. Xavier was limping all game. As of now the unit looks very dicey, Connor's versatility is likely to be needed. His ability to pull is missed badly. Looney is solid, again. La'el was sharper but looked exhausted. All of them need some home cooking. They earned it.

Colombo and his unit have to find a way to protect Dak, and open holes for Zeke. Both are taking more wear and tear than needed

some of it has to happen with scheme - turn one of the TEs into a regular threat, or just use Noah as a TE
it's easier to run LBs off the LOS than block them coming down hill

ConstantReboot

Reaction score
Isn't the Dallas OL some of the highest paid in the NFL and all taken relatively high in the draft? Yeah, I am going to blame them instead of the 4th round throw away pick making $1.50 a game.

If Dak starts making Romo money...then we can revisit this conversation. Until then, I need the OL to play up to their contract...Dak is playing up to his.

Dak had a pretty good game as a passer. If the oline gave him more time he would probably end up with over 300 yards passing. Playcalling was atrocious also. Someone needs to be held accountable for the playcalling.

ConstantReboot

Reaction score
Dak is VERY lazy protecting the ball which leads to fumbles

He needs to clean it up and it is his fault

He is already VERY limited as a QB and cannot out the team in these bad situations

Maybe if our oline started protecting him better he won't fumble so much. Two of those fumbles was caused by the oline. Sua Filo bumping him while he's passing and Lael Collins holding penalty.

Zman5

Reaction score
According to Broaddus after watching the game tape, 5 were on OL and 2 were on Dak. This pretty much coincides with what Percy posted above.