7 Sacks Broken Down

Alexander

What's it going to be then, eh?
Reaction score
totally agree that the oline needs to step it up in these last four games. martin was the only one who played well the rest constantly were beat at the very start of the centers snap. need smith back next week against the eagles.
Prescott also has to recognize that he doesn't have the 2016 line blocking for him and get the ball out of there.

He has complete and utter control of that quite often.

He has right around 3 seconds to throw every time, among the tops in the league.

MichaelWinicki

"You want some?"
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
And those saying ANY criticism of him is saying ALL also has their own "agenda".

You don't think for one minute that some people so desperately want to pretend Prescott is blameless and that lousy OL is just not giving him time?

I can tell you with a lot of certainty, that subgroup pushes their agenda far harder than the opposite and it more numbers.

It is far easier to defend because it is a defense mechanism.

Nobody wants to admit that maybe the QB is holding the offense back. It is painful and hard to reconcile.

We are getting dangerously close to that stage.

Blake Bortles had his team in the AFC Championship game on the heels of a great defensive effort last year.

Where are they now? Oh.

Who said Prescott was blameless for all the sacks?

Certainly wasn't me.

Trying to "force" one situation into another... That's reaching, because the Cowboys between this season and next could go a variety of directions.

Alexander

Reaction score
Who said Prescott was blameless for all the sacks?

Certainly wasn't me.

Trying to "force" one situation into another... That's reaching, because the Cowboys between this season and next could go a variety of directions.
I am speaking more in general for the tendency that many people, and not you, Michael, tend to defend their Prescott because, well, to not do so may mean coming to some grave conclusions that maybe he is not a top 10 QB in this league.

The overwhelming number of the sacks are on him. It is mostly a QB-related stat unless the OL is incompetent.

MichaelWinicki

"You want some?"
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I am speaking more in general for the tendency that many people, and not you, Michael, tend to defend their Prescott because, well, to not do so may mean coming to some grave conclusions that maybe he is not a top 10 QB in this league.

The overwhelming number of the sacks are on him. It is mostly a QB-related stat unless the OL is incompetent.

Fair enough.

Parcells4Life

Reaction score
Since everyone LOVES to blame Dak that he is holding the ball too long and it is all his fault...let's take a look at the 7:

1st: 3rd and 5 at NO 5; No where to go with the ball, DT breaks free in under 3 seconds, Makes contact with Dak 3.06 seconds. There was no one open and those that claim he had Zeke coming across the front, not open until he is about to get hit and Dak has already pulled it down. COVERAGE SACK. OL blocking was ok...not great.

2nd 3rd and 6- Sacked in 2.5 seconds. Sua Fila got beat bad. Had no chance at all. NOT DAKS FAULT.

3rd: 2nd and 6- Cowboys go empty set motioning Zeke out wide. N.O. goes looks to be man cover 2... Total coverage sack here as Dak had no where to go with the ball....at all. Sacked in 3.92 seconds. Started running at about 3.3 seconds and almost made it back to LOS. COVERAGE SACK. OL was good.

4th: 3rd and 7: This is the play where he pulls it down and gets the ball hit out of his hand by the defender in 2.3 seconds. Sua Fila got completely destroyed and pushed back into Dak in that amount of time. NOT HIS FAULT. OL was terrible.

5th- 1st and 10- Dak Sacked in 2.5 seconds. Protection was horrible as they brought a delayed blitz by the lb and he came running free on a stunt. Little chance for Dak to do anything. Don't have coaches film for this one so I can't see all of the options...may have had a crossing route with a bit more time. NOT DAK'S FAULT. Didn't Hold the ball to long. Limited option to dump to if any.

6th: 2nd and 8. Dak bails on a pretty good pocket in under 2 seconds. Not sure if this was a run try by Dak but this was the play Dak got facemasked with no call. If he stayed in the pocket, had Beasley in the flat where he was looking initially. On DAK as he ran into that sack (Do wonder if he was trying to run though)

7th: Sacked in 2.61 seconds. Fumbled trying to pass...can't see if he had a play without coaches film.

Horrible Protection!!! Not Dak's fault.

So 1 out of 7 can be directly attributed to Dak. The other's are a poor OL or Coverage Sacks.

Please stop repeating the stupid mantra that they are Dak's fault. Thank you.
When no ones open he’s allowed to scramble. Something he doesn’t do enough of. If it was Eli or Brees he’d be completely dependent on receivers and OL.

But when it’s past 2.5 seconds either run or throw it away. If every ones covered do SOMETHING with it

Sevenup3000

Reaction score
Define open.
  1. I think sometimes Dak needs to throw a timing pattern and make the throw before the receiver breaks. He has to trust his arm and receiver.
  2. Sometimes throwing the ball away is better than having a negative play.
  3. He has to throw open receivers as well.
  4. Too long, is too long
  5. I love Dak as a QB, I worry about sacks causing injuries, fumbles, or swinging momentum.

He can just do what Romo did so often...throw a game, season, and career back breaking INTs...

85Cowboy85

Reaction score
PFF basically agrees with the OP

Su'a-Filo 5 pressures (3 sacks, 2 hurries)
Collins 5 pressures (2 sacks, 3 hurries)
Martin 3 pressures (1 hit, 2 hurries)

1 sack and 1 hurry attributes to Dak himself.
1 hurry each to Zeke, Rico, and Rod Smith.

Fleming & Looney clean.

I believe he also leads the league by a decent margin in this category though. I think PFF now has him as responsible for 14 sacks on the year? I'd be curious to see the breakdown week by week.

I will say though that the offensive line has escaped all blame and they have been a big part of it. Pass protection has not been up to par yet rarely is it brought up on this forum.

MichaelWinicki

"You want some?"
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I will say though that the offensive line has escaped all blame and they have been a big part of it. Pass protection has not been up to par yet rarely is it brought up on this forum.

True.

How many thread starts did you see here today talking about the lousy job the Oline did?

And its been that way for most games. Yeah the Oline has had a couple gems (like vs. Washington game 2) but for the most part their performance this year due to injury or whatever has been poor to meh.

ConstantReboot

Reaction score
Since everyone LOVES to blame Dak that he is holding the ball too long and it is all his fault...let's take a look at the 7:

1st: 3rd and 5 at NO 5; No where to go with the ball, DT breaks free in under 3 seconds, Makes contact with Dak 3.06 seconds. There was no one open and those that claim he had Zeke coming across the front, not open until he is about to get hit and Dak has already pulled it down. COVERAGE SACK. OL blocking was ok...not great.

2nd 3rd and 6- Sacked in 2.5 seconds. Sua Fila got beat bad. Had no chance at all. NOT DAKS FAULT.

3rd: 2nd and 6- Cowboys go empty set motioning Zeke out wide. N.O. goes looks to be man cover 2... Total coverage sack here as Dak had no where to go with the ball....at all. Sacked in 3.92 seconds. Started running at about 3.3 seconds and almost made it back to LOS. COVERAGE SACK. OL was good.

4th: 3rd and 7: This is the play where he pulls it down and gets the ball hit out of his hand by the defender in 2.3 seconds. Sua Fila got completely destroyed and pushed back into Dak in that amount of time. NOT HIS FAULT. OL was terrible.

5th- 1st and 10- Dak Sacked in 2.5 seconds. Protection was horrible as they brought a delayed blitz by the lb and he came running free on a stunt. Little chance for Dak to do anything. Don't have coaches film for this one so I can't see all of the options...may have had a crossing route with a bit more time. NOT DAK'S FAULT. Didn't Hold the ball to long. Limited option to dump to if any.

6th: 2nd and 8. Dak bails on a pretty good pocket in under 2 seconds. Not sure if this was a run try by Dak but this was the play Dak got facemasked with no call. If he stayed in the pocket, had Beasley in the flat where he was looking initially. On DAK as he ran into that sack (Do wonder if he was trying to run though)

7th: Sacked in 2.61 seconds. Fumbled trying to pass...can't see if he had a play without coaches film.

So 1 out of 7 can be directly attributed to Dak. The other's are a poor OL or Coverage Sacks.

I'd like to add that why do we just drop back as if our Oline can block for more than 3 seconds? Secondly, those routes being run by our receivers take too long to develop and by the time the receivers are open, the rush gets to Dak.

Why can't our offense run more play action, RPOs. designed screens and bootlegs. It seems when we run those type of plays we get a big gain.

The offense just sucks. Thats the problem with coaching.

Sevenup3000

Reaction score
Prescott also has to recognize that he doesn't have the 2016 line blocking for him and get the ball out of there.

He has complete and utter control of that quite often.

He has right around 3 seconds to throw every time, among the tops in the league.

Just stop.

Alexander

Reaction score

Just stop.

That's one.

Once again, the mother bear mentality comes out and assumes it is ALL or nothing, which is always assumed but rarely stated specifically.

I guess a lot of you people are just incapable of having discussions that aren't black or white.

Prescott has a ton of gray area to his game that for whatever reason, if you bring it up, it is seen as an insult.

Ken

Reaction score
When no ones open he’s allowed to scramble. Something he doesn’t do enough of. If it was Eli or Brees he’d be completely dependent on receivers and OL.

But when it’s past 2.5 seconds either run or throw it away. If every ones covered do SOMETHING with it
I mean...i agree...2.5 seconds is quick though. I think 3 seconds...do something else.

Beaker42

Reaction score

1st sack he could’ve run into the end zone but waited too long. I’ll be back as I watch each one.

Toruk_Makto

Reaction score
Last night you can't put 7 sacks on Dak.

Having said that Dak has clearly shown he lacks anticipatory skills and he reads defenses poorly.

Also are we absolving Dak for failure, generally, to adjust blocking ans/or audible or find his hot read?

Because that'd be weird.

Ken

Reaction score

Just incorrect. The vast majority are painting the 7 sacks on Dak and it clearly is not true. 1 definitely was...maybe a couple of more could be argued but that is still 4 on the OL.

To say they are all his fault is why i started this thread with facts.

Alexander

Reaction score
Just incorrect. The vast majority are painting the 7 sacks on Dak and it clearly is not true. 1 definitely was...maybe a couple of more could be argued but that is still 4 on the OL.

To say they are all his fault is why i started this thread with facts.

We have all seen the one where Sua-Filo fell on his butt. Yep. That's one.

Then you get into a gray area.

So 3 or 4 out of 7? So nearly half are his fault? And good luck trying to figure out the line calls on all of them. Even the one where Collins mugged his man, he had plenty of time to make a decision but didn't.

That is some how acceptable?

And let's not even bother to get into the fact that he has fumbled more than any other player in the league.

That is solely on him.

gimmesix

Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life
Reaction score

There are times the ball has to be thrown away if you don't get what you are looking for immediate. If you are taking a three-step drop, the protection isn't expected to hold up long. You are expected to hit the back foot and throw. There was one sack that was charged to Sua'Filo where there's a video clip floating around here where you can see this clearly. Dak drops back hits his back foot, double-clutches, shifts his feet and then the pressure gets to him.

Sometimes it's not about the amount of seconds he's got, but what the play calls for. Short drops call for quick passes because the quarterback is closer to the line of scrimmage when the OL is giving ground. Blitzes also have to be recognized by the QB and adjusted for. If he doesn't see the blitz, then he's going to try to go through his regular progression and get hit.

Ken

Reaction score
So 3 or 4 out of 7? So nearly half are his fault?

That is some how acceptable?

And let's not even bother to get into the fact that he has fumbled more than any other player in the league.

That is solely on him.
I said "could be argued"...not successfully..haha

Most of those fumbles were not turnovers...one of them was right out of bounds.

percyhoward

Research Tool
Reaction score
I believe he also leads the league by a decent margin in this category though. I think PFF now has him as responsible for 14 sacks on the year? I'd be curious to see the breakdown week by week.
Right, PFF attributes 14 of Dak's 45 sacks to Prescott himself. That's 31.1%. Here are QB ranked according to the percentage of their sacks PFF says are the QB's fault (minimum 200 attempts):

Mahomes 45.0%
Trubisky 36.8%
Flacco 31.3%
Prescott 31.1%
Goff 29.2%
Wilson 23.5%
Mayfield 22.7%
Winston 21.4%
Darnold 19.0%
Watson 18.9%

Prescott, by game
2 0 2 3 0 0 2 1 2 0 1 1