Video: [8:36] Lance Dunbar's 2014 carries (All-22)

itsaboat

Reaction score
GCP0yi7.jpg

Previous threads:
Dallas wanted to give Dunbar space to work with when you look at all the toss plays they called for him. They gave up calling it to the right side once Parnell was playing (1 play) with his lack of mobility. Dunbar has speed to get outside and shows patience with inside runs but isn't the most elusive. He can deliver explosive runs like at the end of the video (called back) but I think he will do his most damage in the passing game with his receiver like abilities creating mismatches coming out of the backfield or split outside.

(www.youtube.com/watch?v=7Elhz4PBnMI)

erod

Reaction score
Geez, Zack Martin had a rough game against Tennessee.

And this tape dispels the notion that Dallas' offensive line was dominant all the time.

Dunbar didn't get many running lanes last year in his limited time.

Primetime42

Reaction score
GCP0yi7.jpg

Previous threads:
Dallas wanted to give Dunbar space to work with when you look at all the toss plays they called for him. They gave up calling it to the right side once Parnell was playing (1 play) with his lack of mobility. Dunbar has speed to get outside and shows patience with inside runs but isn't the most elusive. He can deliver explosive runs like at the end of the video (called back) but I think he will do his most damage in the passing game with his receiver like abilities creating mismatches coming out of the backfield or split outside.

(www.youtube.com/watch?v=7Elhz4PBnMI)

He leaves A LOT of yards on the field.

xwalker

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
GCP0yi7.jpg

Previous threads:

Nice video, but Parnell didn't "lack mobility". The 1 toss right they ran with Parnell blocking failed because Witten failed on his block. Parnell was in the right place at the right time but had 2 defenders to block because Witten's block failed.

erod

Reaction score
This whole discussion is misguided really.

Dunbar is not a lead back from the I-formation. He's a third-down back that you get the ball to in space. He should have a role similar to Darren Sproles.

He only had those carries because they were disgusted with Randle at the start of last season.

jrumann59

Reaction score
When Dunbar is in teams flow to the edge they know that is the only place he is dangerous and the short pass game. the playcalling with the personnel group he is in is very predictable

Enlightened32

Reaction score
All Im saying is, after seeing this, I will not be surprised if Williams gets his roster spot.

Staubacher

Reaction score
Looks like a 3rd or 4th stringer to me. Dime a dozen in the nfl.

Side note - watch TWill block on that final 80 yard run. Wow

erod

Reaction score
All Im saying is, after seeing this, I will not be surprised if Williams gets his roster spot.

Dunbar's speed in the open field is his game. Williams doesn't have that. He's more of a true backup for a tailback.

Enlightened32

Reaction score
Dunbar's speed in the open field is his game. Williams doesn't have that. He's more of a true backup for a tailback.
In 22 carries he showed his speed 1 time and the run got called back on a penalty.

I would rather have a 3rd string RB that can do it all rather than a one-trick pony that needs a truck sized hole to show said "trick".

I think a defense would respect a RB who can do it all more on 3rd down rather than one that can only run on the edge or catch screens.

itsaboat

Reaction score
Geez, Zack Martin had a rough game against Tennessee.

And this tape dispels the notion that Dallas' offensive line was dominant all the time.

Dunbar didn't get many running lanes last year in his limited time.

They struggled at times during the season. Arizona, Philadelphia and Detroit are games that come to mind when their play was far from dominant.

To be fair the Cowboys are predictable with him in their..

Toss or outside zone.

I'm 4 minutes in and ive seen 1 power run and he got a nice gain.

Very predictable

Nice video, but Parnell didn't "lack mobility". The 1 toss right they ran with Parnell blocking failed because Witten failed on his block. Parnell was in the right place at the right time but had 2 defenders to block because Witten's block failed.

I'm not criticizing the blocking but how they stopped calling those kind of plays to the right when Parnell was playing

In 22 carries he showed his speed 1 time and the run got called back on a penalty.

I would rather have a 3rd string RB that can do it all rather than a one-trick pony that needs a truck sized hole to show said "trick".

I think a defense would respect a RB who can do it all more on 3rd down rather than one that can only run on the edge or catch screens.

I think they like Dunbar's ability to create mismatches in the passing game more than anything. The video doesn't provide evidence of being a weapon on the ground.

erod

Reaction score

Most of those carries, he didn't have a chance in Hades.

jobberone

Kane Ala
Reaction score
He leaves A LOT of yards on the field.

At times. He needs to be more explosive esp if he can combine that with some cutbacks. And people were loading up on him. I'd like to see him with more consistent OL play and some inside runs as well as tosses and sweeps. He needs a FB as well.

I hope they line him up as a W etc and throw to him other than some quick screens. And I don't know who took this out of the playbook but Dorsett and Walker were very good with seam, go and long slants out of the backfield. It's nearly impossible for a LB to cover that. That's makes you use a S to roll to help cover unless in SPs.

They need to use him better for the limited number of snaps he'll get. He needs some coaching as well.

Enlightened32

Reaction score
Most of those carries, he didn't have a chance in Hades.
I saw holes for 2-3 yards on a few of those tackles behind the LOS. Dunbar just didnt see them. He seemed to always be looking for a 10 yard gain rather than taking what the Oline was giving him.