Video: [8:36] Lance Dunbar's 2014 carries (All-22)

erod

Reaction score
I saw holes for 2-3 yards on a few of those tackles behind the LOS. Dunbar just didnt see them. He seemed to always be looking for a 10 yard gain rather than taking what the Oline was giving him.

He got mostly what Murray would have gotten with those holes.

He's a space player. Very different than a full-time tailback.

Enlightened32

Reaction score
He got mostly what Murray would have gotten with those holes.

He's a space player. Very different than a full-time tailback.
Ok, I can see a "space player" being used on 2nd and long, but after 2 years of being the 3rd back, when do we give another guy a chance?

XxTDxX

Reaction score
A lot of the times he was running the ball for example in the Tennessee game were in garbage situations where the Cowboy were trying to run the clock out and the opponent knew a run was coming. I am one of the few Dunbar fans on here it seems but I think if they are able to work him in NATURALLY he can be effective. No player will ever be successful running the ball if the only chances he gets are either to run the clock out or on some obvious gimmicky plays. Obviously you need to tailor to his strengths but if every run to him is a toss or a draw or a counter he doesn't have a good chance of being consistently productive

AbeBeta

Reaction score
I like Dunbar more as a receiving threat out of the backfield - he had some nice catch and run plays last year - IIRC he had a few more that got called back as well.

AbeBeta

Reaction score
If you can get a few yards cutting up a hole, isn't that better than losing yards following the design of the play?

I think ultimately you want a guy who follows the design of the play instead of doing his own thing.

Enlightened32

Reaction score
I think ultimately you want a guy who follows the design of the play instead of doing his own thing.

Each time he ended up losing yards doing that rather than picking up the few he could have.

Id rather gain yards than lose yards regardless of the play call,

AbeBeta

Reaction score
Each time he ended up losing yards doing that rather than picking up the few he could have.

Id rather gain yards than lose yards regardless of the play call,

A 3rd string RB needs to trust the play call. He has no idea if a hole isn't going to open by the time he arrives. He goes all improv and he'll find himself sitting

jobberone

Kane Ala
Reaction score
After watching that, I'm ready to move on.

If they're going to continue to use him like that and with generally that poor blocking then they should cut him. If they will use him a bit differently then he'll be an asset. I like hearing they are going to line him out wide.

BAZ

Drunken Mick
Reaction score
I was down on Dunbar before last season and thought this would win me over, now I just want him off the team. Even that Slurs run was from an amazing Fred beard block.

CATCH17

1st Round Pick
Reaction score
If they're going to continue to use him like that and with generally that poor blocking then they should cut him. If they will use him a bit differently then he'll be an asset. I like hearing they are going to line him out wide.

By the looks of it they could use him differently by just letting him carry the ball through the middle sometimes..

How is a guy supposed to produce when you're coaches make you so predictable.

Dunbars in the game.. It's either a toss or zone.

Section446

Reaction score
As a former UNT guy, I'd love nothing more than for Dunbar to become a contributor. Unfortunately, I just don't see him contributing much more than he has to this point, and thus, he'll be on the bubble come time for final cuts.

ghst187

Reaction score
1) most of that video could alternatively be called our OL's lowlight video
2) teams as early in the season seemed to understand that if he was in the game he was getting the ball in one of two plays
3) I see no value in handing him the ball given number two above. Throw it to him on short passes or screens or cut the guy as he brings very little to the run game

Enlightened32

Reaction score
He reminds me of a smaller Julius Jones after watching this.

EXACTLY! I even thought about Jones' "running like a robot" comment while watching the video. That is exactly what Dunbar did. There was no creativity to his running style. He just followed the play and whatever happened, happened.

Just as with Jones, he was caught in the backfield, often.

erod

Reaction score
EXACTLY! I even thought about Jones' "running like a robot" comment while watching the video. That is exactly what Dunbar did. There was no creativity to his running style. He just followed the play and whatever happened, happened.

Just as with Jones, he was caught in the backfield, often.

Jones was supposed to be a lead back. Dunbar isn't.

He's the fastest player on the team. Get him the ball in space, and he can do things.