Video: [8:36] Lance Dunbar's 2014 carries (All-22)

Enlightened32

Reaction score
Jones was supposed to be a lead back. Dunbar isn't.

He's the fastest player on the team. Get him the ball in space, and he can do things.

When does it become the RBs fault for failing and not everyone else's? Maybe the reason the coaches dont give him touches is because they realize that his "talent" is limited. After 2 years of being on the team he hasnt moved up the depth chart at all.

erod

Reaction score
When does it become the RBs fault for failing and not everyone else's? Maybe the reason the coaches dont give him touches is because they realize that his "talent" is limited. After 2 years of being on the team he hasnt moved up the depth chart at all.

There weren't three holes in that entire video. Most of those were garbage time carries to chew up time. They've barely used him.

DeMarco Murray wouldn't have gained 10 more total yards with those carries. Nothing was there.

Enlightened32

Reaction score
There weren't three holes in that entire video. Most of those were garbage time carries to chew up time. They've barely used him.

DeMarco Murray wouldn't have gained 10 more total yards with those carries. Nothing was there.

There were atleast 3-5 plays where he had a crease he could have run up in for 2-3 yards instead he ran to edge and lost yards. Also, on a couple of other plays he was one on one with a defender in the backfield and he didnt have the elusiveness to avoid the tackle.

Ive been a fan of Dunbar from day one, but if someone with more talent is available then its time to give them a shot.

AbeBeta

Reaction score
There were atleast 3-5 plays where he had a crease he could have run up in for 2-3 yards instead he ran to edge and lost yards. Also, on a couple of other plays he was one on one with a defender in the backfield and he didnt have the elusiveness to avoid the tackle.

Ive been a fan of Dunbar from day one, but if someone with more talent is available then its time to give them a shot.

That's great hindsight.

A play is designed in a certain way. You've got him bailing on the design before he could possibly know if the design of the play is working or not. If the play calls for him to go outside, then that is what he needs to do. If he sees a 2-3 yard opening and jumps in their before the play has a chance to develop, that's a failure.

erod

Reaction score

Wrong. That's not what they want Dunbar doing.

And on the play he went 80, Murray would have gone for 15.

Enlightened32

Reaction score
That's great hindsight.

A play is designed in a certain way. You've got him bailing on the design before he could possibly know if the design of the play is working or not. If the play calls for him to go outside, then that is what he needs to do. If he sees a 2-3 yard opening and jumps in their before the play has a chance to develop, that's a failure.

That is exactly what Murray used to do. He went where the holes were. Is that not what a RB is supposed to do?

Enlightened32

Reaction score

Do you want me to compare 22 carries for Murray vs 22 carries for Dunbar.

I know you dont want that.

erod

Reaction score
Do you want me to compare 22 carries for Murray vs 22 carries for Dunbar.

I know you dont want that.

You're so lost in this debate, you don't even understand the difference between the roles.

AbeBeta

Reaction score
That is exactly what Murray used to do. He went where the holes were. Is that not what a RB is supposed to do?

When you are the #1 back and have shown that you are consistently effective, you can go off script.

When you are the #3 back you are going to get pulled if you think your judgement trumps the play call.

BrassCowboy

Reaction score
after watching that, I would seriously consider moving on without Dunbar. He had a few bad opportunities, but overall he has no elasticity in his running and he overpowers no one. He seems to have poor body control. It does not take much to get him off-balance and once he is, he didn't recover.

If we actually do use him in the passing game, maybe there is a use for him, but value is not at RB. just my opnion

pacboyX

Reaction score

But I feel Williams may actually be best RB on roster besides his pass block. Id prefer Dunbar gone before Williams.

FuzzyLumpkins

The Boognish
Reaction score
Dunbar lacks the balance and leg drive to break tackles. He seemed to go down on first contact every time. Also has poor vision. Fred and others would get there man turned on stretch plays and he wouldn't key off it allowing them to recover. Doesn't anticipate the weakside LB overpursuing for the cutback again allowing them to recover. He does not maximize his quickness and speed advantage.

Parnell is one of the dumber players I ahve witnessed. Watching him get into space and try to figure out who to block is frustrating. His performance on reaching cutoffs on plays going away from him was very disappointing. Encourages me with the notion of Collins at RT seeing we managed with Parnell for half the season.

Doug Free moves very well. STill softer than I would like.

Clutts reaches blocks but he's like Escobar in that he doesn't hold them and doesn't get push. Not a fan.

Alexander

What's it going to be then, eh?
Reaction score
Great job by itsaboat, again.

It must have been incredibly painful to load up each one of these mediocre runs into one video.

No vision, no power. Very uninspiring.

Further proof that the "anybody can run behind this line" concept is completely misguided and asinine.

Zman5

Reaction score
He's horrible cut back runner. Watch how he runs when he tries to cut back inside. He's slow when changing direction.

Most good cut back runner will plant their outside feet and then cut back hard and go. When he tries to cut back, instead of planting his outside feet, he just slows down and then almost circle back to change direction.

erod

Reaction score
But I feel Williams may actually be best RB on roster besides his pass block. Id prefer Dunbar gone before Williams.

Maybe, but he shows no signs of being able to stay healthy.