News: 8 Under The Radar Standouts From OTA Practice

JoeKing

Diehard
Reaction score
Ohh, you are so very close my friend, just some red dye#8
I always thought Cowboys Coolaid was blue.

bluecoolaid.jpg.25ed00302c5ca0d8d30592efcc947065.jpg

CowboyRoy

Reaction score
8 Under The Radar Standouts From OTA Practice

ozlyfrqtipce9vpehbhm.jpg

Hek’ma Harrison
DallasCowboys.com Analyst

Carlos Watkins came out with some bounce at Tuesday's practice, literally leap frogging a standing tackling dummy. That's an impressive feat for a man weighing in at 6'3, 300 pounds. The fifth year defensive tackle, former fourth-round pick ,was very impressive showing powerful hands in reaction drills. Watkins is athletic and maintains balance when engaged. He's a very good striker with above average bend.

Damontae Kazee ruptured his Achilles tendon in 2020? That's the question I kept asking myself while watching team drills. Modern medicine has made some serious advancements, because Kazee seems to be showing zero effects from the injury. Kazee covered ground easily from the safety position, planted his feet and also changed directions smoothly. Kazee closes ground quickly and uses good angles getting to the ball. The organization took a ton of heat for not taking a true safety in the draft. Seeing Kazee's progress on the field might help explain why.

Bradlee Anae looks like he's packed on some pounds during the offseason. With the addition of size he's noticeably more explosive. He displayed several moves from a chop swim, club, rip, and spin move. Another improvement is his balance and feet. Not only is he exploding out of his stance but he's keeping his feet active. Anae worked well in one-on-one with hand technique. Fine tuning his hand fighting may help him gain playing time, especially with his disadvantage of arm length.

Tarell Basham's most recognizable trait is his motor. He doesn't stop. He is quick off the ball. He worked on moves at half speed, getting coached on his feet and hand placement. Basham has to add more moves to his arsenal and increase his flexibility to make an impact. No matter what, count on Basham to go full speed.

The rest....

So when did Kazee actually rupture it? 2019 at the end? At the beginning of 2020?

CowboyRoy

Reaction score
They absolutely MUST find a way to keep Anae.

He has plus rush skills and even if he isn't quite there yet....they can't give up on him just yet due to roster numbers.

Anae is probably toast.

CowboyRoy

Reaction score
Hope so.

I wasn't thrilled with either and I hope I'm very wrong.

Have my doubts on Urban but I think Watkins amd Bohanna can provide some desperately needed size at 1T.

Interesting. You doubt Urban and like Anae? Im the opposite. I dont think Anae fits here anymore and Urban is a good run stuffing defender that can play either at DT or DE on the 3-4.

CowboyRoy

Reaction score
Urban is here to stay. If Watson makes the team that means either Hill or Gallimor won't.
I'd rather we keep Basham and Anae over Armstrong.

But all the additions to the defense will create competition in camp. LVE and J.Smith are fighting off Parsons. Hill and Gallimore are fighting off Urban, Watson and Bohanna. Brown and Lewis are fighting off Robinson, Wright and Joseph.

So we'll have some good competitions going on, on every level of our defence.
:clap:

Hill and Gallimore dont even play the same position as Bohanna and Urban. Hill and Gallimore are fighting each other. Urban and Bohanna are fighting each other.

CowboyRoy

Reaction score
Gallimore is your starter. He's not sweating a couple of ham and eggers like Urban and Watkins. Gallimore or even that stiff Hill are not fighting off Bohanna. They play two totally different positions.

Bohanna is competing against himself as the lone nose tackle.
:hammer::hammer::hammer:

fivetwos

Reaction score
Interesting. You doubt Urban and like Anae? Im the opposite. I dont think Anae fits here anymore and Urban is a good run stuffing defender that can play either at DT or DE on the 3-4.
I want Anae to get his shot before he is a numbers victim.

I like Watkins a bit more than Urban.

805BoysInBlue

Reaction score

He has plus rush skills and even if he isn't quite there yet....they can't give up on him just yet due to roster numbers.
What are you talking about? Dude was the Pac-12 defensive player of the year and dominated the senior. How Armstrong was used ahead of him and Gregory is ridiculous to me.

cwbyfan72

Reaction score
Look out.. mentioning anything about Anae might get poo pood on..he’s clearly not worthy of a mention.

CowboyRoy

Reaction score
I want Anae to get his shot before he is a numbers victim.

I like Watkins a bit more than Urban.

Really? I like Urban better. I saw a nice video piece breaking down both guys and he liked Urban.

Anae was a long shot. Doesnt have much of a value other than a situational type pass rusher. Terrible against the run. Undersized. And when you combine that with what Quinn seems to be looking for, I dont see him fitting in here.

CowboyRoy

Reaction score
What are you talking about? Dude was the Pac-12 defensive player of the year and dominated the senior. How Armstrong was used ahead of him and Gregory is ridiculous to me.

I cant tell if your joking or not. Anae over Gregory? I think both Anae and Armstrong are toast.

tyke1doe

Reaction score

Agreed. I hope the Cowboys give him ample opportunity to show his stuff.
I would hate for him to leave Dallas and then destroy it somewhere else.

HungryLion

Reaction score
The Kazee news is exciting to me.

can’t tell much from OTA’s. But for Kazee to already be a full participant and running and cutting without issue. That is HUGE.

Kazee is a solid FS, if back to full health. He will be the best centerfield safety we have had in a long time.

Him being a full participant is the biggest news of OTA’s behind Dak. IMO.

stiletto

Reaction score
The Kazee news is exciting to me.

can’t tell much from OTA’s. But for Kazee to already be a full participant and running and cutting without issue. That is HUGE.

Kazee is a solid FS, if back to full health. He will be the best centerfield safety we have had in a long time.

Him being a full participant is the biggest news of OTA’s behind Dak. IMO.

I thought this exactly. Coming off an achilles injury, was pretty amazed at the videos of him. He's had good doctors and rehab just from a 1000 ft eye view.

I am 100% sure 99% of us would be limping around like wimps at this time with the injury he had. LOL