8 yrs of Garrett. are we better or worse?

atlantacowboy

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
In hindsight, yeah. In general, every position should be competed, but that doesn’t happen and not just here. Look at Peyton and Indy.

Manning had that neck injury and nobody knew if he was ever going to recover. The Colts had no choice but to use that #1 overall pick on Luck. Totally different situation. Romo was fully recovered and even lead a 75 yard TD drive in his only opportunity of 2016. He should have been given a chance to push Dak. Its not like Dak was getting better as the year went on. But, the Jones boys didn't want to upset their delicate new flower.

TonyS

Reaction score
Let them have their fantasy.

We just need another new head coach and all of this pays off handsomely.

So...you're going to let Jones pick another head coach and trust that decision? How long have you been watching this charade? :laugh:

JustChip

Reaction score
Manning had that neck injury and nobody knew if he was ever going to recover. The Colts had no choice but to use that #1 overall pick on Luck. Totally different situation. Romo was fully recovered and even lead a 75 yard TD drive in his only opportunity of 2016. He should have been given a chance to push Dak. Its not like Dak was getting better as the year went on. But, the Jones boys didn't want to upset their delicate new flower.

Not exactly correct regarding Manning. Yes, he had neck surgery and was on IR, but was medically cleared to play and was practicing. The issue is that they had drafted Andrew Luck and Peyton was due a huge roster bonus. The decision was Peyton was not going to be the future so why invest that money in someone that was not the future, and in the process invest the game time in who was the future. It was a rational business decision the same as what the Cowboys made.

In hindsight it appears the Cowboys' decision was wrong, but decisions don't get made in hindsight. And there's no guarantee that a different decision would have yielded better results.

atlantacowboy

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Not exactly correct regarding Manning. Yes, he had neck surgery and was on IR, but was medically cleared to play and was practicing. The issue is that they had drafted Andrew Luck and Peyton was due a huge roster bonus. The decision was Peyton was not going to be the future so why invest that money in someone that was not the future, and in the process invest the game time in who was the future. It was a rational business decision the same as what the Cowboys made.

In hindsight it appears the Cowboys' decision was wrong, but decisions don't get made in hindsight. And there's no guarantee that a different decision would have yielded better results.

Oh common. The Colts had a plan of succession. They used the #1 overall pick in the draft. Thats a huge organizational commitment. Dak, on the other hand, was an after-thought after missing on Lynch and Connor Cook. There was never a "plan" for Dak to succeed Romo, and they made the decision while Dak was still playing on training wheels with half the playbook and half the field.

Big_D

Reaction score
So...you're going to let Jones pick another head coach and trust that decision? How long have you been watching this charade? :laugh:

I don't care who Jones picks as long as he ends this marriage of mediocrity. Maybe it gets better, maybe it doesn't? but at the very least Garrett will be gone and any delusions of his coaching abilities will be gone with him.

JustChip

Reaction score
Oh common. The Colts had a plan of succession. They used the #1 overall pick in the draft. Thats a huge organizational commitment. Dak, on the other hand, was an after-thought after missing on Lynch and Connor Cook. There was never a "plan" for Dak to succeed Romo, and they made the decision while Dak was still playing on training wheels with half the playbook and half the field.
Oh, come on. I’ve not said a single word that Dak was drafted to be Tony’s replacement in 2016. Go look at any of my posts & they’ve consistently said that he was a 4th round project that was never supposed to see the field for 2 or 3 years, if then. But circumstances happened and Dak was thrust onto the field and performed way beyond anyone’s expectations. There had been enough seen after 2016 to think he was a viable successor.

As far as competition for the job, there is no doubt Tony was more capable & would’ve won that competition (assuming he didn’t get injured) if for no other reason than experience. But they made a business decision and I understand it. In Utopia, Tony would’ve stayed as Dak’s backup & help guide/mentor (what GB wanted to do with Favre & Rodgers) but this isn’t Utopia. It would be a total circus and counter-productive.

atlantacowboy

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Oh, come on. I’ve not said a single word that Dak was drafted to be Tony’s replacement in 2016. Go look at any of my posts & they’ve consistently said that he was a 4th round project that was never supposed to see the field for 2 or 3 years, if then. But circumstances happened and Dak was thrust onto the field and performed way beyond anyone’s expectations. There had been enough seen after 2016 to think he was a viable successor.

As far as competition for the job, there is no doubt Tony was more capable & would’ve won that competition (assuming he didn’t get injured) if for no other reason than experience. But they made a business decision and I understand it. In Utopia, Tony would’ve stayed as Dak’s backup & help guide/mentor (what GB wanted to do with Favre & Rodgers) but this isn’t Utopia. It would be a total circus and counter-productive.

You are clearly comparing the 2 situations in Dallas and Indy as if they were identical. I'm simply saying they were very different when you look a little closer. It wasn't just a biz decision. They didn't want Romo messing with Dak's confidence. With Dak's absurdly low salary, they could have easily kept both guys by simply restructuring Romo's contract. That wasn't an option for Indy b/c Luck had a 22 million dollar gauranteed contract. We still had 8.9 million of dead money on the books in 2018 for Romo. There was a deal to be made but Dallas was more interested in trading him and getting him out of Dak's way than negotiating.

Last edited:

the_h0wey

Reaction score
This should be a simple thread with no drama...

Are we a better team after 8 yrs of Jason Garrett as head coach or are we worse?..
Worse. Wasted some great years of Tony still playing at a high level. Under Garrett's tutelage what was the Offensive Rookie of the Year looks like a bottom 5 starting QB.

Gangsta Spanksta

Reaction score

If he would've stayed a 2 to 3 year project, he might of developed more. Anyway remember Jerry making some comment that Dak learning under Romo, would be like him getting a college education or something like that in Quarterbacking :DD

willia451

Reaction score
It's actually 11 years. He was hired in 2007 as OC and eventual replacement for Wade Phillips. And he has sucked balls ever since.

Everything he was or has ever been was because of Romo. Now that Romo is gone he just sucks more.

He was hired to be Jerry's sycophant. And that will be his legacy. Does he care? Who knows? Jerry has paid him a ton of money to be that for him.

So he probably doesn't care. Why would he?