8 yrs of Garrett. are we better or worse?

Ddisco22

Reaction score
Below average. A 5 win team this year. I'm hoping 1-15 though. Let's really stink up the joint and force real change. It'll hurt so good.
Why would you hope for that record, do you honestly think anyone would be happy just because of a 1st pick?
besides history has taught us that JJ and SJ wouldn't make the right pick anyway.

Brax

Reaction score
Romo and Garrett did have a falling out, but do you really think that Romo would have given up on the starting job if he had a chance of getting it back from a clearly inferior player? It makes much more sense that Garrett decided to stick with Dak due to Romo getting more of the praise when the Cowboys won than Garrett did which led to Romo feeling betrayed.
Knowing how JJ and SJ looked at the $$$ involved they went with Dak with no problems as with the TR injury problems they saw the cheap fix . JG was going to go with the hot hand, no loyalty he wants to keep making millions. The end result is a poor QB who cheap.

JustChip

Reaction score
Well remember, Dak originally got drafted to be the back up quarterback, and learn under romo and if we were lucky enough step in when romo would retire. But Backup was the main reason. Jason Garrett had nothing to do with Romo getting injured in 2016, and Dak Balling out that season, so that many experts were saying that the cowboys should go with the hot hand, because of chemistry. In fact, when Romo said that this was Dak's team now, it sort of put a strain on his relationship with Garrett, or at least what local sports talk radio was saying at the time, since Garrett wasn't supposedly ready to hand the team over to Dak, yet, and Romo did that without talking to him.

This is exactly what I've said numerous times. It was NEVER the plan for Dak to be a starter in year 1, nor year 2, or even year 3 probably. He was what so many cry and whine about on here and elsewhere that the Cowboys don't do - draft a developmental QB. But the perfect storm happened.

In today's NFL, teams get on a roll and can ride that to the Super Bowl. The Cowboys were in that situation with Dak and I won't fault them for staying with him. Too many people make the leap that a different decision would yield better results. I've seen it posted often and loud that we beat GB if Romo was the QB. Maybe, maybe not. There's no way to know. That game was lost by the defense the same as in 2014. Maybe, just maybe a case can be made that they should've gone back to Romo before the 2017 season. But Romo was not the future and was waaaay nearer the end than being in the "prime" and it seemed they did have the future (and may still, but that's for another thread).

Now, to the question posed in the thread title - yes, we are better today than 8 years ago. But, as with any corporate leadership, the style and skills needed differ as an organization grows or markets and economies shift. At this point, Garrett may have served his purpose and it's time for a change. However, it's highly, highly unlikely in my opinion that a change will actually produce better results simply because of Jerry and past history. There is no stadium on the horizon he needs to get approved so a Parcells-like move is not likely. He said at the time after Parcells was gone that time was the least fun he ever had and he wouldn't do that again (paraphrasing). The only hope is that Stephen and Charlotte wield enough power and legitimacy with Jerry for him to relent. Stephen is not perfect, but I don't sense that his weaknesses are that he needs to be in total control or is an egomaniac.

visionary

Reaction score
Why can't I? He's a part of the war room that selected this stiff. He apparently believes in this empty vessel. Unless we can prove he's been completely against pushing out Romo, not moving up for Wentz and drafting Prescott then I can blame him right with the Jones twins.

They are farther away from winning a title now than they were when he got here because they don't have a QB.

But but but

You can't blame Garrett
:rolleyes:

visionary

Reaction score
We definitely were on the right trajectory with the right approach to team building around the OL and then it all came crashing down hard. I think the plan has actually been a good one. But like most teams, no backup plan when you don’t get good QB play.

Hard to foresee Tyron falling apart at 27, Dak going RGIII and Frederick contracting an Auto Immune Disease.

The plan was built well as long as things stayed on track but had no options for when adversity hit.

:laugh:
News flash: that is exactly what the GMs and Coaches are paid millions to do

Parcells4Life

Reaction score
Didnt he win big the past 2 weeks?
Against SMU and Nebraska. H
:laugh:
News flash: that is exactly what the GMs and Coaches are paid millions to do
no, in the salary cap era that’s why you make them cornerstones and extend them with big contracts. You do it off assumption they’ll hold up long term and you won’t need to split that money at that position to other people.

For Dak, yes you can say they’ve made a misevaluation, but for the OL, they don’t have many more resources to put behind those star players.

They were also the only team in the league going against the grain making it back into a run first team when everyone else is throwing more.

It just hasn’t had the longevity of success we all assumed in 2014 and 2016

visionary

Reaction score
Against SMU and Nebraska. H

no, in the salary cap era that’s why you make them cornerstones and extend them with big contracts. You do it off assumption they’ll hold up long term and you won’t need to split that money at that position to other people.

For Dak, yes you can say they’ve made a misevaluation, but for the OL, they don’t have many more resources to put behind those star players.

They were also the only team in the league going against the grain making it back into a run first team when everyone else is throwing more.

It just hasn’t had the longevity of success we all assumed in 2014 and 2016

My bad
The other teams don't have a salary cap

PA Cowboy Fan

Reaction score
Why can't I? He's a part of the war room that selected this stiff. He apparently believes in this empty vessel. Unless we can prove he's been completely against pushing out Romo, not moving up for Wentz and drafting Prescott then I can blame him right with the Jones twins.

They are farther away from winning a title now than they were when he got here because they don't have a QB.
You were right. They should have moved up for Wentz.

rwalters31

Reaction score
This should be a simple thread with no drama...

Are we a better team after 8 yrs of Jason Garrett as head coach or are we worse?..
I see the answers say the same. The up and down records say we are an average NFL team. Until the Cowboys find a way to make both sides of the ball good at the same time we will not be better.

atlantacowboy

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
This is exactly what I've said numerous times. It was NEVER the plan for Dak to be a starter in year 1, nor year 2, or even year 3 probably. He was what so many cry and whine about on here and elsewhere that the Cowboys don't do - draft a developmental QB. But the perfect storm happened.

In today's NFL, teams get on a roll and can ride that to the Super Bowl. The Cowboys were in that situation with Dak and I won't fault them for staying with him. Too many people make the leap that a different decision would yield better results. I've seen it posted often and loud that we beat GB if Romo was the QB. Maybe, maybe not. There's no way to know. That game was lost by the defense the same as in 2014. Maybe, just maybe a case can be made that they should've gone back to Romo before the 2017 season. But Romo was not the future and was waaaay nearer the end than being in the "prime" and it seemed they did have the future (and may still, but that's for another thread).

Now, to the question posed in the thread title - yes, we are better today than 8 years ago. But, as with any corporate leadership, the style and skills needed differ as an organization grows or markets and economies shift. At this point, Garrett may have served his purpose and it's time for a change. However, it's highly, highly unlikely in my opinion that a change will actually produce better results simply because of Jerry and past history. There is no stadium on the horizon he needs to get approved so a Parcells-like move is not likely. He said at the time after Parcells was gone that time was the least fun he ever had and he wouldn't do that again (paraphrasing). The only hope is that Stephen and Charlotte wield enough power and legitimacy with Jerry for him to relent. Stephen is not perfect, but I don't sense that his weaknesses are that he needs to be in total control or is an egomaniac.

They should have given Romo the opportunity to compete for the job. That is what Romo requested and they said no.

9darter

Reaction score
Country club nepotism then, country club nepotism now. That's why you have a fraud GM and fraud HC.

Blame the drunk egomaniac.

JustChip

Reaction score
They should have given Romo the opportunity to compete for the job. That is what Romo requested and they said no.

In hindsight, yeah. In general, every position should be competed, but that doesn’t happen and not just here. Look at Peyton and Indy.