9 owners blocking revenue sharing revealed

burmafrd

Reaction score
while the TV money is the largest single source, mechandizing and stadium sky box/luxury box money is big as well. those two sources are what really separates the haves from the have nots. Arizona gets little from either, while Dallas rakes it in.

AtlCB

Reaction score
Uh-Oh said:
They aren't big markets. But they are big money teams with owners who make NFL money in their sleep. The fight isn't about the markets, but about those who make the most $$$ outside the NFL revenue share deal, having to share with those who don't.

About Charlotte, here's a quote from a forum:
"Why is Carolina on the list? Mainly because Jerry Richardson is a keen and excellent owner who has carved his revenues from a lot of sources - PSL sales - luxury boxes - preferred parking - customized concessions - etc. He's probably wondering why he should now have to share that revenue with others who aren't as savvy. "

Much like your own Jerry Jones, Dan Snyder and Robert Kraft, Richardson is a business man who came up with a crafty way to make more money out of his team using his own smarts. There point of view is "Why do I share what I invested in with my own money, with the Rooneys?"
Thanks. That makes sense. I was actually surprised to see some very large metropolitan areas fairly low on that list - Miami. Makes you wonder what some of these owners are doing.

burmafrd

Reaction score
You have smart and busy owners and you have stupid and lazy owners. I agree that the smart and busy ones should not have to subsidize the stupid and lazy ones.

Uh-Oh

Reaction score
AtlCB said:
Thanks. That makes sense. I was actually surprised to see some very large metropolitan areas fairly low on that list - Miami. Makes you wonder what some of these owners are doing.
That's why owners always want new stadiums. Their old stadiums lacked luxury boxes or not enough seats/parking. They can make more money by having 3rd class, 2nd class, 1st class, then VIP seating. THEN luxury boxes.

And this money isn't in the revenue-sharing deal. So those owners make more money than owners like the Rooneys, the Dolphins owner, maybe even the Halases. So it seems kind of petty that they want what Jones and Snyder make through their own business smarts.

The NFL is plenty competitive as it is. No need to take away from the businessmen who can do better.

I think when it comes to making a profit, the NFL-first families are lacking compared to businessmen-first owners like Jerry Jones and Dan Snyder. Jones and Synder were self-made millionaires who made cash outside of the NFL. The Rooneys make their money from football. Advantage Jones and Snyder.

Rockytop6

Reaction score
Yeagermeister said:
I don't blame them for blocking it. They bust their arse to generate local revenue so should the others.

What he said!!!!!!!!!!

StanleySpadowski

Reaction score
One really needs to look at the ownership types of all 32 teams to see why aren't going smoothly. I'd break them down in several groups we have the uber-rich recent owners whose competitiveness drives them to explore generating revenue, not the need for revenue (like NE, Washington, Dallas, Carolina et.al.). Then there's the old guard that need revenue because football is their primary business interest (NYG, Chicago, Pittsburgh, Cincinatti...), There are a few owners that bought teams because they could and haven't shown a particular drive yet (Seattle...) as well as a few other groups, but the one that everyone should really point to is the flat out lazy/incompetent group. Bidwell's Cardinals are front and center followed by the Lions and a few others.

Where the Rooney's and others revenue streams are limited by lack of capital in some areas, these lazy/incompetent have the resources to do better but don't.

It is interesting to see that most of the poor revenue generating teams also historically field bad teams. Incompetence from top to bottom in everything they do.

Longboysfan

hipfake08
Reaction score
Yeagermeister said:
I don't blame them for blocking it. They bust their arse to generate local revenue so should the others.

Exactly. Then the NFL wants to cut back on their outside deals.
Then take more out of their pockets.

JJ should run a course for the 20 or so Idiot owners.
How to make $$$ in the NFL.

Doomsday101

Reaction score
StanleySpadowski said:
One really needs to look at the ownership types of all 32 teams to see why aren't going smoothly. I'd break them down in several groups we have the uber-rich recent owners whose competitiveness drives them to explore generating revenue, not the need for revenue (like NE, Washington, Dallas, Carolina et.al.). Then there's the old guard that need revenue because football is their primary business interest (NYG, Chicago, Pittsburgh, Cincinatti...), There are a few owners that bought teams because they could and haven't shown a particular drive yet (Seattle...) as well as a few other groups, but the one that everyone should really point to is the flat out lazy/incompetent group. Bidwell's Cardinals are front and center followed by the Lions and a few others.

Where the Rooney's and others revenue streams are limited by lack of capital in some areas, these lazy/incompetent have the resources to do better but don't.

It is interesting to see that most of the poor revenue generating teams also historically field bad teams. Incompetence from top to bottom in everything they do.

Guys like Rooney did not have to pay anything for the Steelers his dad owned the team and now he sits back and collects the money. Guys like Jones and other newer owners had to spend major dollars (Jones invested around 100 mill or more for the Cowboys) to buy their teams and any business man in his right mind is going to try and make that investment pay off and recoup the money that was spent on the purchase.

rlgiv

Reaction score
I will continue to support the Cowboys no matter what. Jerry is right here IMO. It is about time that the teams that are in non-competitive cites fall by the wayside. It is time to trim the fat.

StanleySpadowski

Reaction score
Doomsday101 said:
Guys like Rooney did not have to pay anything for the Steelers his dad owned the team and now he sits back and collects the money. Guys like Jones and other newer owners had to spend major dollars (Jones invested around 100 mill or more for the Cowboys) to buy their teams and any business man in his right mind is going to try and make that investment pay off and recoup the money that was spent on the purchase.

I think you missed my point on the "old guard" owners. If the NFL ceased to exist tomorrow, most of them wouldn't have a pot to pee in because their family's wealth is attributed almost solely to the NFL. I'm sure they've diversified some, but I doubt the new breed like Jones or Snyder would have to start selling off mansions or jets it it happened.

Doomsday101

Reaction score
StanleySpadowski said:
I think you missed my point on the "old guard" owners. If the NFL ceased to exist tomorrow, most of them wouldn't have a pot to pee in because their family's wealth is attributed almost solely to the NFL. I'm sure they've diversified some, but I doubt the new breed like Jones or Snyder would have to start selling off mansions or jets it it happened.

I agree and understood that. I was only pointing out that many of the old guard owners did not have to make the same investment that is seen today. Lucky for Dallas we had Tex who promoted the Cowboys every where he went and now Jones does the same. This franchise is successful from a business stand point because of the hard work put in by men like Tex and now Jerry. The Cowboys have never been a franchise who sits on their butts and I don't think the organization should share in all profits that are made because of the hard work. Things like TV contract is and should be shared by all teams, Official NFL gear should be shared by all of its members but other than that I think the organization that put in the hard work and can create more revenue should benefit because they put in the work

Future

Intramural Legend
Reaction score
Longboysfan said:
Exactly. Then the NFL wants to cut back on their outside deals.
Then take more out of their pockets.

JJ should run a course for the 20 or so Idiot owners.
How to make $$$ in the NFL.

see 1992, 1993, and 1995 seasons

im not a businessman but i think its simple, win and fans show up...loose and they dont

Doomsday101

Reaction score
Future 585 said:
see 1992, 1993, and 1995 seasons

im not a businessman but i think its simple, win and fans show up...loose and they dont

Dallas has had sellouts when we were not having a winning season and even in some off years we still rank at the top on merchandise sold. I agree it is easier to move products when you’re winning but having a loyal base helps a lot.

big dog cowboy

THE BIG DOG
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Future 585 said:
Actually that sounds like a simple answer. But the fact is that not every owner is as committed to winning as Jerry Jones is for example. A case can be made that there are several owners who are just figure heads going along for the ride and do nothing more make millions off other more agressive owners. Do they care about winning a super bowl? They will tell you yes but their actions say no.

david_jackson

Reaction score
To play devils advocate for a minute. The CBA ties salary cap minumums to revenue. Players push to include more revenue sources in the included pool from which the % is drawn. If that revenue pool is not shared then the small market team can see there costs skyrocket to pay for Jerry's business Acumen. The raised salary cap floor can just beat the crap out small markets with stable or slow growing local revenue streams. To not get cought in this, the poor small market team would have to grow at the same rate as the Average...someone will always be below average...

Most everyone is in favor of competition but the competetion with the salary cap growing to an unshared pool socks it to the little guy. Tax the big teams a little and the little teams alot (% wise). As a cowboy fan I realy appreciate Jerry's position but understand the small teams position as well.