9 owners blocking revenue sharing revealed

conner01

Reaction score
jgboys1 said:
The worst thing they could do is get rid of revenue sharing. Look at baseball, it is a joke with the Yankees every year spening over $200 mill., while KC and Pittsburgh cant even hit $50 mill. It would ruin the game.
no one is considering getting rid of revenue sharing. the argument is over locally crerated revenue like stadium naming rights.teams like the cards had the tax payers pay the entire bill for their stadium, while jerry is paying half himself.teams like the cards can't market locally cause they want spend the money to win and no one wants to buy their crap. teams klike jerry's spend the money and should not have to share local money.if we are not careful we will create a welfare system where good teams pay for crappy teams and hurt the whole league

WoodysGirl

U.N.I.T.Y
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Some Owners Could Sue if Forced to Share

By Leonard Shapiro and Mark Maske
Washington Post Staff Writers

Tuesday, February 21, 2006; Page E04

The revenue-sharing debate among NFL team owners has become so combative that a group of owners of the most prosperous franchises has threatened to take legal action if a revenue-sharing plan they don't like is forced upon them.

Pittsburgh Steelers owner Dan Rooney said yesterday that the threat has been made by a group of six to nine teams. Rooney said he regards it as "an idle threat" that will not be carried out by the clubs, which he did not identify.

"I think they might vote against revenue-sharing, but what are they going to sue for?" Rooney said in a telephone interview. "They're trying to say if we get the votes [to approve a revenue-sharing plan], they'll sue. I don't see what they can sue about. They have the right to vote no."

The threat is a sign of how fractious revenue-sharing deliberations among owners have become. Commissioner Paul Tagliabue is attempting to get owners to agree to a plan to increase the amount of locally generated revenues that teams would share, but a faction of owners of the wealthiest clubs has resisted.

Revenue-sharing deliberations among owners are taking place as they attempt to negotiate an extension of their labor agreement with the NFL Players Association. Union chief Gene Upshaw said in recent days those talks also were at a standstill and he regards the end of this week as the deadline for agreeing to an extension of the collective bargaining agreement that would keep the current salary-cap system in place beyond the 2006 season. Rooney said yesterday that he took Upshaw's comments as more than a bargaining tactic.

"I think Gene is serious," Rooney said. "I think that [the labor negotiations] is more serious than this [the revenue-sharing deliberations] is. I think it's a little more serious now that we're getting to the wire."

Upshaw said over the weekend his understanding was that nine wealthy teams were threatening to sue if a revenue-sharing plan was forced upon them. Rooney and other league sources yesterday confirmed the threat of litigation but had differing accounts of the number of teams involved. Several other owners declined to comment publicly on the labor and revenue-sharing deliberations or did not return telephone messages.

Any revenue-sharing plan would have to be approved by at least 24 of the 32 teams. It has been widely believed around the league throughout the revenue-sharing debate that a group of eight teams has surpassed the rest of the league in revenue-generating capabilities. Those eight are thought to include the Washington Commanders, New England Patriots, Houston Texans, Dallas Cowboys, Philadelphia Eagles, Denver Broncos, Chicago Bears and Cleveland Browns.

The 32 teams share national revenues, primarily from television contracts, equally. But growing disparities in locally generated revenues -- including those from stadium-naming rights, local TV and radio deals, sponsorships and luxury suites -- have created sizable revenue gaps between teams. The Commanders are the top revenue-generating team and are thought to have annual revenues, at approximately $300 million, that are about twice those of the bottom-dwelling Arizona Cardinals and Minnesota Vikings.

The less-prosperous teams are seeking a system by which a greater portion of the local revenues would be shared, arguing that the NFL always has maintained its competitive balance on the field by keeping franchises on relatively equal footing financially. Owners of the wealthier clubs have argued that they should not be forced to subsidize poorly operated teams.

Upshaw, meantime, is seeking in labor negotiations to expand the pool of revenues from which players are paid at a time when league revenues are burgeoning, with new national TV contracts worth nearly $4 billion per season. The current labor deal keeps the salary-cap system in place through the 2006 season, then expires after a 2007 season that would be played with no salary cap.

Labor-negotiating sessions are scheduled for today and Wednesday. The NFL's free agent market is scheduled to open on March 3, and teams are having trouble planning for the offseason with labor and revenue-sharing debates ongoing.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2006/02/20/AR2006022001206.html

Hostile

The Duke
Reaction score
I agree with Rooney though. What is there to sue for? The by-laws of how many dissenting votes are set and ratified by the ownership. If they don't have enough votes to block the measure too damned bad. That's just rich kids throwing tantrums. Snyder has to be the one who threw the lawsuit angle out there.

david_jackson

Reaction score
Players won't extend the CBA without including more revenue in in the figure that the percentage is taken from. The Cap % includes revenue from non-shared revenue then this can put small market team in a financially precarious position. Everytime Jerry makes an addition million they are forced (because of cap minimums) to shell out a greater % of team revenues.

That being said some teams are worth more becouse of the individual market revernue streams. To Share that would be to take value away from the larger market teams and transfer it to the smaller market teams. The only way this could be equitable would be for the smaller market teams to give a % ownerhip of the clubs to the large market teams to compensate therm for the loss in value.

A solution might be for teams to be able to trade cap space with each other for draft pick and/or players. This would allow smaller market teams to lower the amount they must spend on players (by allowing them to trade cap space) while allowing the teams to maintain value by picking up players.
The players should like that since the total amount spent would actually go up as there would be less unused cap space. Teams like the Cowboys and Commanders wouldhave much higher payrolls. The Market would determing the value capspace is in draft picks. An example might be that each 100 points in draft value (see value charts) might be worth 500,000 in cap space. Again teams trading with each other would determine the exact value.

RiggoForever

Benched
Reaction score
If there are 9 truly against the measure, isn't it now a non-issue as there needs to be a 3/4 ownership majority to make changes?

david_jackson

Reaction score
Hostile said:
I agree with Rooney though. What is there to sue for? The by-laws of how many dissenting votes are set and ratified by the ownership. If they don't have enough votes to block the measure too damned bad. That's just rich kids throwing tantrums. Snyder has to be the one who threw the lawsuit angle out there.

I disagree here. If they can't just vote to tranfer wealth from one owner to another....They could all get together and decide they don't like Al Davis (not farfetched) and tax all teams basein Oakland by 50%.

Just because you have the majority doesn't mean you can do what you want. Look at law firms for an example of this.

Hostile

The Duke
Reaction score
RiggoForever said:
If there are 9 truly against the measure, isn't it now a non-issue as there needs to be a 3/4 ownership majority to make changes?
I believe it says 6 to 9. In other words they need 9 to defeat it.

AtlCB

Reaction score
Murph80 said:
These are all big market teams. Why isn't Chicago on the list. Both Ny teams Houston is the 4th biggest market.
I'm not sure that I would consider Dallas, Denver, and Charlotte large markets.

Hostile

The Duke
Reaction score
david_jackson said:
I disagree here. If they can't just vote to tranfer wealth from one owner to another....They could all get together and decide they don't like Al Davis (not farfetched) and tax all teams basein Oakland by 50%.

Just because you have the majority doesn't mean you can do what you want. Look at law firms for an example of this.
Valid point. I still don't think it makes sense.

Doomsday101

Reaction score
AtlCB said:

Dallas is a big market because it takes in Dallas and Ft. Worth. Not sure about Denver and Charlotte.

AtlCB

Reaction score
Hostile said:
Dallas is a top 5 market.

Do you have a link for this? The last census that I saw was showing that the metropolitan areas of New York City, Miami, Houston, Atlanta, Washington-Baltimore, Los Angeles, Chicago, SF-Oakland, Philadelphia, etc. were all larger than Dallas-Ft. Worth.

Hostile

The Duke
Reaction score
AtlCB said:
Do you have a link for this? The last census that I saw was showing that the metropolitan areas of New York City, Miami, Houston, Atlanta, Washington-Baltimore, Los Angeles, Chicago, SF-Oakland, Philadelphia, etc. were all larger than Dallas-Ft. Worth.
Sorry it was #7.

http://www.nielsenmedia.com/DMAs.html

Doomsday101

Reaction score
AtlCB said:

Houston is a larger city than Dallas but the Dallas market consist of Dallas and Fort Worth it is a larger area than Houston as far as market shares.

RiggoForever

Benched
Reaction score
AtlCB said:

Well the size of the market area doesn't take into account that football is close to a religion in Texas. Therefore if you have X million in the market area and only a small percentage follow the team, it doesn't help as much as if the area is filled with rabid and loyal fans.

notherbob

Reaction score
Hostile said:
I believe it says 6 to 9. In other words they need 9 to defeat it.

Whatever measure the owners eventually pass among themselves, it will have to be agreeable to the union. Right now the union wants local revenues included in the CBA, as do the majority of owners. If the issue passes and an agreement for a new CBA is reached, the losing owners can sue all they want, it won't stop the season but if there is no agreement, there may eventually be a lockout and a strike. I don't really need that.

Hopefully, sooner or later these greedy bastia are going to come to some agreement on how to divvy up your money and will churn out some kind of agreement and play football. Whatever they ultimately decide won't affect me one bit as long as I get to watch good honest football where superior play and game breaks determine the outcome, not the mood of the officials.

Cowboy Junkie

leonargized
Reaction score
TruBlueCowboy said:
I'm surprised Carolina is on that list. I thought they not only had a small market team, but they had problems selling tickets even in winning seasons.

I live fairly close to Charolette and it is very difficult to get tickets to the games.
They have a yearly lotto for tickets and there is about 500/700 people waiting at this open lotto for their number to be called . I think like the top 60 called in the lotto get the tix.

Jersey

Reaction score
The egirls are ONLY on this list because they just got their new ghetto, and are in minute 14 of their 15 minutes of fame. Soon, when they begin to dwell the cellar again, they'll become the Ralph Nader of revenue sharing. He spent all of mommies money and doesn't have a creative bone in his body. He just plays off of the stupidity of their loyal to see what they'll NEVER see fans.

Uh-Oh

Reaction score
AtlCB said:
They aren't big markets. But they are big money teams with owners who make NFL money in their sleep. The fight isn't about the markets, but about those who make the most $$$ outside the NFL revenue share deal, having to share with those who don't.

About Charlotte, here's a quote from a forum:
"Why is Carolina on the list? Mainly because Jerry Richardson is a keen and excellent owner who has carved his revenues from a lot of sources - PSL sales - luxury boxes - preferred parking - customized concessions - etc. He's probably wondering why he should now have to share that revenue with others who aren't as savvy. "

Much like your own Jerry Jones, Dan Snyder and Robert Kraft, Richardson is a business man who came up with a crafty way to make more money out of his team using his own smarts. There point of view is "Why do I share what I invested in with my own money, with the Rooneys?"