A&M Leaving Big 12

Chocolate Lab

Run-loving Dino
Reaction score
Any of you insiders out there hearing anything on this? We have to have some hard core A&M fans out there...

Personally, I have zero affiliation with A&M, but I've always kind of liked them for some reason... Probably just that I feel like they're a sleeping giant down there. No reason they can't be a big, big-time program much like Auburn is to Alabama.

But what do you guys think about this? As a fan of Texas football going back to the SWC days, I'd hate to see some of these rivalries vanish. But the SEC is pure awesome and in a way I would love to see A&M join them. Plus, to a lesser extent, I admire their resolve to break away and not let UT run their conference anymore.

Thoughts?

Doomsday101

Reaction score
Chocolate Lab;4041850 said:
Any of you insiders out there hearing anything on this? We have to have some hard core A&M fans out there...

Personally, I have zero affiliation with A&M, but I've always kind of liked them for some reason... Probably just that I feel like they're a sleeping giant down there. No reason they can't be a big, big-time program much like Auburn is to Alabama.

But what do you guys think about this? As a fan of Texas football going back to the SWC days, I'd hate to see some of these rivalries vanish. But the SEC is pure awesome and in a way I would love to see A&M join them. Plus, to a lesser extent, I admire their resolve to break away and not let UT run their conference anymore.

Thoughts?

I would hate to see them leave just as I hated to see Arkansas leave and while they would not have Texas running their conference any longer they would have top teams in the SEC who have a lot of stroke as well.

MC KAos

Reaction score
I hope they and OU leave, I'd rather Texas be an independent anyway and get the same deal that Notre Dame has with the BCS

Doomsday101

Reaction score
MC KAos;4041869 said:
I hope they and OU leave, I'd rather Texas be an independent anyway and get the same deal that Notre Dame has with the BCS

Texas is about to launch the Longhorns Network starting sept 3rd. So who knows

MC KAos

Reaction score
Doomsday101;4041874 said:
Texas is about to launch the Longhorns Network starting sept 3rd. So who knows

Yup, we would get a lot more money as an independent, plus we wouldn't have to ask for permission from the conference to show high school games. Seeing as how the PAC 12 has said they want to show high school games on their network, I think the NCAA will eventually approve it

Doomsday101

Reaction score
MC KAos;4041881 said:
Yup, we would get a lot more money as an independent, plus we wouldn't have to ask for permission from the conference to show high school games. Seeing as how the PAC 12 has said they want to show high school games on their network, I think the NCAA will eventually approve it

Maybe so I'm more of a traditionalist. I hated to see the SWC break up.

Chocolate Lab

Run-loving Dino
Reaction score
Doomsday101;4041856 said:
I would hate to see them leave just as I hated to see Arkansas leave and while they would not have Texas running their conference any longer they would have top teams in the SEC who have a lot of stroke as well.

Yeah, but the SEC doesn't let one or two teams run everything. As the Big Ten doesn't.

I know you're a UT fan and I really don't blame UT for getting all they can... That's the way things work. But it's really not good for the overall conference if you ask me.

The bad thing is that eventually the whole thing will fall apart and these schools like Tech and Baylor and Kansas and Oklahoma State will be scrambling for whatever they can find. I'd hate to see the west schools join the Pac 10 (12) and the east schools go east and no native conference in the middle of the country.

StylisticS

Reaction score
MC KAos;4041869 said:

What about the other sports? Where will they play? The WAC? Conference USA? I dont believe Texas has the same national brand as Notre Dame. They are a special case that has experience in this independent thing. Personally, if A&M leaves, I think the superconferences will get started and Texas plays in a conference and I think they head west with OU,OSU, and Tech. Larry Scott still desires to get Texas.

ZeroClub

just trying to get better
Reaction score
CLab - In response to your post I just made a call to a trusted SEC media type. Apparently there are fresh rumors (last night and today) within the SEC (bloggers, twitter, etc.), that A&M might be joining the SEC. The media type told me that the A&M President has denied it in the past, but where there is smoke, there may be fire.

That's all I got. So I guess my bottom line is that I don't really have much to add. :)

I used to follow the SWC. Was sorry to see it go. As an SEC fan, I'm lukewarm on expanding the conference. Why mess with it? Sure, A&M is a worthy addition (Florida State would be too), but how big is too big?

Doomsday101

Reaction score
ZeroClub;4041948 said:
CLab - In response to your post I just made a call to a trusted SEC media type. Apparently there are fresh rumors (last night and today) within the SEC (bloggers, twitter, etc.), that A&M might be joining the SEC. The media type told me that the A&M President has denied it in the past, but where there is smoke, there may be fire.

That's all I got. So I guess my bottom line is that I don't really have much to add. :)

I used to follow the SWC. Was sorry to see it go. As an SEC fan, I'm lukewarm on expanding the conference. Why mess with it? Sure, A&M is a worthy addition (Florida State would be too), but how big is too big?

IWould not be surprised to see college go to what has been called Super conference with 16 teams in each. I think if they ever can agree to a playoff system that super conference may end up being the best way to go

Chocolate Lab

Run-loving Dino
Reaction score
ZeroClub;4041948 said:

Thanks ZC. :)

Didn't really mean for this thread to be all about Texas... I'm curious what people would think about the implications of this move for A&M and everyone else, including the SEC (as you commented on).

I have to admit I'd kind of like to see it. I was sort of disappointed when it didn't happen last year... Even though I would hate to see so many years of tradition blown up.

BTW, what would you (and others) think about the idea of Oklahoma joining along with A&M? I know there was some talk about that last year if Texas had gone to the Pac-10.

jterrell

Penguinite
Reaction score
TAMU is talking about this to get TU to kill their plans for the showing of high school games on the network.

TAMU does not want to leave the Big 12 rivalries it has. Arkansas did and look at their recruiting results.

They can't recruit anyone out of Dallas at all now here yet they dominated here as a SWC school.

OU almost certainly won't leave. Recruiting again is the main reason amd they have a very strong class incoming.

People want to keep as many games in Texas as possible.

As a Techsan I am all for TAMU and OU bolting. Let Tech go tell recruits how we play more games in Texas than either and the recruiting rankings will change mightily.

TAMU and OU have solid positions in the big 12. Moving to the SEC means battling teams just as talented and just as well coached week in and week out and only a loon wants to do that. Any Aggie fans wanting to move are basically proving that Aggies are only smart enough to gig frogs. They are just now getting strong enough to win in the Big 12 and they want to go sell the SEC to Texas kids as the lone Texas school?

OU spent years in the Big 8 struggling to recruit Texas, joined the Big 12 and quickly became a recruiting powerhouse again. Anyone think they really want to move to the SEC?

Force TU to adapt but don't bail and let Texas have an even easier road to the national title game every year. That's insane.

BTW, watch for a possible Notre Dame Big 12 signing. Notre Dame is not that solid an independent and would like the kind of deal Texas has with the Big 12 just fine. Especially if they can join as TAMU leaves. Notre Dame was a powerhouse when they recruited Texas well. They pulled Tim Brown out of Dallas.

Chocolate Lab

Run-loving Dino
Reaction score
Yeah, but JT, I don't think this is about going where you can win the most games. A&M would be almost guaranteed to win more games in the Big 12, but the SEC would pay them more money. They might do it for financial reasons alone... Or at least primarily.

You don't think a bunch of Houston and Dallas kids would want to play in the best league in the country every week? I kind of do.

BTW, I went to Arkansas my freshman year and I sort of hated to see them join the SEC. That said, I can see why they did it. But the difference is, they needed to play in Texas to recruit in Texas. A&M is already there (here).

And back to OU, I know they don't want to leave the Big 12. But if they think UT is going independent and the entire league is going to fall apart, they'd eventually have to go somewhere anyway.

The30YardSlant

Benched
Reaction score
A&M is going to the SEC eventually, it's only a matter of when. Texas and Dan Beebe have burned too many bridges and pissed off too many of the A&M powers that be for a long-term reconciliation to even be a possibility. Starting up the LHN was the beginning of the end, and now that it has come out that Deloss Dodds and ESPN were in bed together from the beginning and flat out lying about their intentions for the network A&M simply has no choice but to go. Texas has repeatedly shown they are only out for themselves, care nothing for this conference or maintaining historic rivalries, so screw them. That program's almost unfathomable arrogance will be their downfall one day.

UnoDallas

Benched
Reaction score
good one more team for Arkansas to pound

I don't see it

Ark had the balls to move from SWC to SEC

while Texas and AM ran to the Big 12

UT knowing they should be in the title game every year

ZeroClub

just trying to get better
Reaction score
Chocolate Lab;4042101 said:
BTW, what would you (and others) think about the idea of Oklahoma joining along with A&M? I know there was some talk about that last year if Texas had gone to the Pac-10.

I gotta believe that these conference decisions are based most heavily on $$.

But I like the conference as it stands now. Although to be honest, it wouldn't bother me if Arkansas and Vandy were somehow booted and replaced by other schools located in the southeast.

For the most part, the SEC is an actual regional conference. The proximity of schools helps intensify league rivalries. Geographic expansion dilutes proximity. OU and A&M are fine institutions with great histories. Notre Dame is too. But none of them are located in the southeast, so I wouldn't include them in the conference.

But $$, not geography, will likely win the day.

The30YardSlant

Benched
Reaction score
UnoDallas;4042202 said:
Ark had the balls to move from SWC to SEC

while Texas and AM ran to the Big 12

You are really misrepresenting the events that transpired.

Arkansas had begun to lose their recruiting foothold in this state in the mid-80s due to A&M's resurgence and Texas still being Texas, which was reflected in them getting pounded regularly in their final two years of SWC play. Arkansas' brass felt that their recruiting would improve if they got out from the shadow of the state schools and moved to the prestigious SEC, but as it turned out it onyl hurt their recruiting even more. In hindsight, it was a poor decision on their part. 20 years later and all they have to show for their efforts are three blowout losses in the SEC title game and only four years with fewer than five losses. Once a powerful program, they have been reduced to competing for whatever scraps LSU, Bama, Florida, Auburn, etc. see fit to throw their way.

As for A&M and Texas, they were literally days away from signing with the SEC both in 1991 and 1994 and both times the Texas legislature threatened to cut their state funding if they didnt agree to stay with poor ol' Tech and Baylor and keep them afloat.

jimmy40

Reaction score
The30YardSlant;4042186 said:
A&M is going to the SEC eventually, it's only a matter of when. Texas and Dan Beebe have burned too many bridges and pissed off too many of the A&M powers that be for a long-term reconciliation to even be a possibility. Starting up the LHN was the beginning of the end, and now that it has come out that Deloss Dodds and ESPN were in bed together from the beginning and flat out lying about their intentions for the network A&M simply has no choice but to go. Texas has repeatedly shown they are only out for themselves, care nothing for this conference or maintaining historic rivalries, so screw them. That program's almost unfathomable arrogance will be their downfall one day.
Texags would be proud.

The30YardSlant

Benched
Reaction score
jimmy40;4042296 said:
Texags would be proud.

I don't post there and agree it can be a cesspool at times, but acting like it's any worse than orangebloods or shaggybevo is intellectually dishonest.

And anyhow, what I posted wasnt some hatred-driven drivel. Texas almost seems to want this conference to fail with the way they've been conducting business. They are scoffing at Beebe, the conference itself and the NCAA as a whole with their dealings in this LHN charade, almost daring someone to actually do something about it. We can't show high school games on our network? Watch us. We can't have multiple conference games on our network? Too bad, we're doing it anyway. We can't show UIL title games on our network? Sorry, we're gonna do what we want. The arrogance is astounding. They walk around spouting that "We're Texas" crap as if their program is inherently untouchable. I don't hate Texas, in fact I really respect the school and their success as an athletic program, but their behavior throughout this ordeal has been nothing short of childish.

MC KAos

Reaction score
StylisticS;4041907 said:
What about the other sports? Where will they play? The WAC? Conference USA? I dont believe Texas has the same national brand as Notre Dame. They are a special case that has experience in this independent thing. Personally, if A&M leaves, I think the superconferences will get started and Texas plays in a conference and I think they head west with OU,OSU, and Tech. Larry Scott still desires to get Texas.

i think other sports its really not that big of a deal what conference they end up in, obviously it wont be the SEC, Big Ten, Pac 12 or big east, but in all other sports there is no such thing as a BCS and no matter what conference you are in, if you win all your games you WILL be a national champion.

I think what will happen eventually is that TAMU with head to the SEC, OU will either follow or go to the Pac 12 (where i think they should, i think they dominate that conference for the foreseeable future) and the rest of the big twelve will go to the big ten (maybe mizzou) the big east (iowa state, kansas and kansas state possibly) or the WAC and MWC (pretty much anyone left could go this route)

lets take basketball for instance, your telling me a WAC or MWC basketball league with Kansas, K state, Texas, Baylor, UTSA, etc wouldnt be a powerhouse?

The30YardSlant;4042186 said:

i think they act that way not because they want to deliberately piss people off, i think they see the advantage for recruiting of showing high school games and having their own network show multiple games for money purposes. I think they WANT to become independent, but at the same time, they want TAMU to be the ones that pull the trigger so to say. (again, this is all speculation on my part)

The30YardSlant;4042230 said:
You are really misrepresenting the events that transpired.

Arkansas had begun to lose their recruiting foothold in this state in the mid-80s due to A&M's resurgence and Texas still being Texas, which was reflected in them getting pounded regularly in their final two years of SWC play. Arkansas' brass felt that their recruiting would improve if they got out from the shadow of the state schools and moved to the prestigious SEC, but as it turned out it onyl hurt their recruiting even more. In hindsight, it was a poor decision on their part. 20 years later and all they have to show for their efforts are three blowout losses in the SEC title game and only four years with fewer than five losses. Once a powerful program, they have been reduced to competing for whatever scraps LSU, Bama, Florida, Auburn, etc. see fit to throw their way.

As for A&M and Texas, they were literally days away from signing with the SEC both in 1991 and 1994 and both times the Texas legislature threatened to cut their state funding if they didnt agree to stay with poor ol' Tech and Baylor and keep them afloat.

truth, thats probably why TCU, UH and SMU got screwed out of possibly being in the big twelve