A&M Leaving Big 12

jimmy40

Reaction score
The30YardSlant;4045086 said:
A&M has one of the ten largest alumni bases in the country, receives more in athletic donations from boosters than Texas does annually and our athletic program generates the fourth most revenue annually. To say A&M isnt marketable is beyond ridiculous.
all I ever hear here in aggieland is how broke the a&m athletic dept. is.

TheCoolFan

Reaction score
Moving to the SEC would definitely help A&M recruiting. The draw of being the only Texas school in the SEC would help out a ton. It also opens up A&M to the Florida/Georgia/SC pipeline as well.

Stautner

Reaction score
Doomsday101;4041887 said:
Maybe so I'm more of a traditionalist. I hated to see the SWC break up.

Me too. I still hate it when I think about it.

jimmy40

Reaction score
What I see happening if a&m goes to the SEC.
Year one. The slimy SEC and their recruiting practices get a foot hold in Texas and a&m gets their butt kicked all over the football field and loses more recruits to LSU.
Year two. The slimy SEC and their recruiting practices gets an even bigger foothold in Texas. a&m loses recruits to several SEC teams and gets their butt kicked all over the football field. a&m returns to their slimy recruiting practices to compete.
Year three. a&m under investigation for major recruiting violations. SEC stealing recruits from all over Texas. a&m gets butt kicked all over football field.
Year four. a&m gets their *** handed to them by the NCAA because the SEC got what they wanted and won't protect them. a&m remembers when they were starting to compete in the Big 12-2 and wishes they would have quit crying about Texas, shut the hell up and stayed.

ABQCOWBOY

Regular Joe....
Reaction score
jterrell;4044686 said:
The year Notre Dame joins the Big 12 they finish ahead of UT for the first time in years in recruiting. Notre Dame already travels a good deal so the travel wouldn't bother them and the recruiting returns them to glory before they lose all relevance in football.

Not gonna happen. Texas will win the recruiting battle in the Big 12 for as long as they are in the Big 12. I think Notre Dame might be able to pull some recruits but they are not going to out recruit Mack Brown and Texas in the Big 12.

jimmy40

Reaction score
TheCoolFan;4045385 said:
Moving to the SEC would definitely help A&M recruiting. The draw of being the only Texas school in the SEC would help out a ton. It also opens up A&M to the Florida/Georgia/SC pipeline as well.
uhhh no

The30YardSlant

Benched
Reaction score
jimmy40;4045354 said:
all I ever hear here in aggieland is how broke the a&m athletic dept. is.

We took out a $16 million loan internally from our own university to help with facility upgrades, a loan which has been paid off for over a year. Other than that, I have no idea what you're talking about. A&M pulls in money like few other athletic programs do.

The30YardSlant

Benched
Reaction score
jimmy40;4045394 said:
What I see happening if a&m goes to the SEC.
Year one. The slimy SEC and their recruiting practices get a foot hold in Texas and a&m gets their butt kicked all over the football field and loses more recruits to LSU.
Year two. The slimy SEC and their recruiting practices gets an even bigger foothold in Texas. a&m loses recruits to several SEC teams and gets their butt kicked all over the football field. a&m returns to their slimy recruiting practices to compete.
Year three. a&m under investigation for major recruiting violations. SEC stealing recruits from all over Texas. a&m gets butt kicked all over football field.
Year four. a&m gets their *** handed to them by the NCAA because the SEC got what they wanted and won't protect them. a&m remembers when they were starting to compete in the Big 12-2 and wishes they would have quit crying about Texas, shut the hell up and stayed.

This is what you HOPE happens. Keep in mind that A&M would be considered the third best team if they were in the SEC this year based on the preseason polls, behind only LSU and Bama. A&M is expected to be better than everyone else in the SEC this year.

This is also not factoring in that A&M would immediately be one of the SEC basketball powers and would dominate almost every non-revenue sport.

jimmy40

Reaction score
The30YardSlant;4045444 said:
We took out a $16 million loan internally from our own university to help with facility upgrades, a loan which has been paid off for over a year. Other than that, I have no idea what you're talking about. A&M pulls in money like few other athletic programs do.
yeah I do remember something about a loan and a&m laying off people about the same time.

jimmy40

Reaction score
The30YardSlant;4045448 said:
This is what you HOPE happens. Keep in mind that A&M would be considered the third best team if they were in the SEC this year based on the preseason polls, behind only LSU and Bama. A&M is expected to be better than everyone else in the SEC this year.

This is also not factoring in that A&M would immediately be one of the SEC basketball powers and would dominate almost every non-revenue sport.

I hope the SEC starts recruiting in Texas? Well that's just stupid. preseason rankings are awesome though. I guess making the NCAA tourney would be a powerhouse in the SEC. Baseball would be very good, couldn't care less about the rest of it.

TheCoolFan

Reaction score
jimmy40;4045403 said:

It opens up their recruiting to those states much more than it did when they were in only the Big 12. Playing SEC schools, they'll get more exposure and can have a better chance of snatching up some of those recruits vs. just staying in the Big 12 and reaching out to those states, where they'd have NO chance of getting them because of lack of presence.

jimmy40

Reaction score
Dawgs0916;4045559 said:
It's no longer a rumor. It's been verified. Aggy to the SEC.
by aggieyell? I think the board of regents or whatever have to vote on it first, heard 8/22 at the earliest.

The30YardSlant

Benched
Reaction score
Board of regents is expected to approve the move at the August 22nd meeting. This looks like it's really going to happen.

jimmy40

Reaction score
TheCoolFan;4045510 said:
It opens up their recruiting to those states much more than it did when they were in only the Big 12. Playing SEC schools, they'll get more exposure and can have a better chance of snatching up some of those recruits vs. just staying in the Big 12 and reaching out to those states, where they'd have NO chance of getting them because of lack of presence.
a&m ain't getting recruits from the east coast or Alabama to come to College Station. I can certainly see Texas kids going to Florida though.

MC KAos

Reaction score
This is a bad move for A&M. It does look like august 22nd is when they are voting on it though, I guess at this point it's like my grandpa use to say, que sera, sera.

And they aren't doing this because of Texas anymore since the NCAA already ruled high school games can't be shown on university or conference channels, ever

The30YardSlant

Benched
Reaction score
jimmy40;4046847 said:
a&m ain't getting recruits from the east coast or Alabama to come to College Station. I can certainly see Texas kids going to Florida though.

We already recruit LA better than anyone outside of LSU, and we've landed four Mississippi kids over the last several years. That is WITHOUT being in the SEC. Three of our recruiters on staff have big ties to high school coaches across several southestern states. I think you'll be surprised at how many SEC states start losing big recruits to A&M. I doubt we ever make much of a dent in Florida with the big three out there or Bama with their two big schools, but Louisiana, Mississippi and Georgia all export a TON of recruits every year.

The30YardSlant

Benched
Reaction score
MC KAos;4046874 said:
This is a bad move for A&M. It does look like august 22nd is when they are voting on it though, I guess at this point it's like my grandpa use to say, que sera, sera.

And they aren't doing this because of Texas anymore since the NCAA already ruled high school games can't be shown on university or conference channels, ever

It still has a lot to do with Texas. It's part trying to blaze our own trail and get out of Texas' shadow, part not trusting Texas' administration anymore after all the crap they've pulled and part wanting a stable conference with an unbeatable TV deal.