CFZ A bold roster strategy I would support

Bobhaze

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Let me say right off the bat, what I’m about to suggest will never happen. Why? Because Jerry Jones no longer takes big risks in attempts to build a championship roster. In fact, sadly Jerry and Stephen clearly make sales and marketing the centerpiece of what drives this organization more than sound roster moves that give us better chances of winning playoff games.

Most fans around here probably would not support my roster plan either. And I understand that. But I believe this is the way to make this team better in the long run. So what is the roster building strategy I would support? Here it is:
  • Make 2024 an aggressive rebuild. Simply put, if we are being honest, there is no core of this team that has done anything important in the playoffs. Yes, the last 3 years have given us 3 playoff appearances, BUT…that has resulted in 1 wild card win. That’s not worth building around IMO.
  • Seek trades for Cedee Lamb, Micah Parsons, Dak, Zack Martin and D-Law. Having all these top paid guys (Lamb and Parsons will be soon) collectively have given us 3 wild card wins - one back when Romo was QB. Here’s my thinking on this:
    • Trade Cedee Lamb- why? Yes Lamb deserves a big payday. But I would not pay him top market dollar because keeping him here at top market value does not make this team better. It keeps it the same. He has disappeared at times in big games and pouts way too easily. I would see if we could get a first round pick for him.
    • Trade Micah Parsons- I would think long and hard about paying this guy top of the defensive market. Not because of talent. He’s the most talented guy on this team. But he’s also the biggest head case on this team. Hate to say it, he disappears in big games, pouts and talks waaaay too much. Trade him while his value is high. He might garner a first and a second round pick.
    • Trade Dak Prescott- I know the Jones boys don’t have the stones to do this but I would be vigorously seeking trade partners right now for Dak. They should have shopped him to Pitts because I think Dak would have agreed to that trade. That “no trade clause” just means they need to find a team he would like. It may be too late now.
    • See what trading Zack Martin, Trevon Diggs and D-Law could garner- doubtful there would be much value for Martin and Law at their age but I would explore it. Diggs maybe.
  • Use the haul in draft picks for a rebuild of the core of this team.
    • Draft a QB in the first round for a change.
    • Draft a LT, G/C, WR and edge rusher the next two years that you can build around.
As stated earlier, the current core of this team has not given us much of anything in playoff wins. Isn’t that what we are supposed to be about? Winning playoff games? Like I said at the beginning, this will never happen. The Jones boys are mostly about sales and marketing. This is why they sign their “marquee” players whether or not having them means we have a legit shot at a Lombardi.

IMO it is long past the time to move on from this core of players who have underachieved. A new era of Cowboys football should be in the making. Don‘t hold your breath. There are jerseys and commercials to sell first.

Bobhaze

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
You're getting bold here Haze I love it!!!! I wonder what the cap problems we would accrue doing all of this, instead of not letting the guys like Martin/lawrence play out their last season here
Good question. I did not research that. I was just trying to focus on whatever kind of flush we could do here that would usher in a new core of talent.

Like I said in the OP, this will never happen as long as JJ is alive.

Chocolate Lab

Run-loving Dino
Reaction score
I understand Dak, because he's had enough chances and has proven he can't get it done. I understand guys like DLaw, because he's older. (Plus he's very tired.)

But why do people want to get rid of CeeDee? I don't get it. He's a stud at one of the most coveted positions in the league, and he's still young.

Coogiguy03

Reaction score
Good question. I did not research that. I was just trying to focus on whatever kind of flush we could do here that would usher in a new core of talent.

Like I said in the OP, this will never happen as long as JJ is alive.
Micah would get us the most back it appears, and would Ceedee want to stay here during a rebuild??? Dak in 2025 is an El Paso!! lol

Bobhaze

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I understand Dak, because he's had enough chances and has proven he can't get it done.

But why do people want to get rid of CeeDee? I don't get it. He's a stud at one of the most coveted positions in the league. and he's still young.
It’s not about how good Cedee is. I like the kid. To me it’s about what he would do for us at top paid market value. Would paying him top of the market make us better? Not necessarily. And honestly, finding a really good WR is not as hard as QB, LT and edge rusher.

Chocolate Lab

Run-loving Dino
Reaction score
It’s not about how good Cedee is. I like the kid. To me it’s about what he would do for us at top paid market value. Would paying him top of the market make us better? Not necessarily. And honestly, finding a really good WR is not as hard as QB, LT and edge rusher.
How many have we had in the last 15 years? Basically him and Dez. (And Amari before he refused a certain mandate.)

Feels like some people are throwing a tantrum and wanting to get rid of every good player we have. That's not how you get better.

rambo2

Reaction score
Let me say right off the bat, what I’m about to suggest will never happen. Why? Because Jerry Jones no longer takes big risks in attempts to build a championship roster. In fact, sadly Jerry and Stephen clearly make sales and marketing the centerpiece of what drives this organization more than sound roster moves that give us better chances of winning playoff games.

Most fans around here probably would not support my roster plan either. And I understand that. But I believe this is the way to make this team better in the long run. So what is the roster building strategy I would support? Here it is:
  • Make 2024 an aggressive rebuild. Simply put, if we are being honest, there is no core of this team that has done anything important in the playoffs. Yes, the last 3 years have given us 3 playoff appearances, BUT…that has resulted in 1 wild card win. That’s not worth building around IMO.
  • Seek trades for Cedee Lamb, Micah Parsons, Dak, Zack Martin and D-Law. Having all these top paid guys (Lamb and Parsons will be soon) collectively have given us 3 wild card wins - one back when Romo was QB. Here’s my thinking on this:
    • Trade Cedee Lamb- why? Yes Lamb deserves a big payday. But I would not pay him top market dollar because keeping him here at top market value does not make this team better. It keeps it the same. He has disappeared at times in big games and pouts way too easily. I would see if we could get a first round pick for him.
    • Trade Micah Parsons- I would think long and hard about paying this guy top of the defensive market. Not because of talent. He’s the most talented guy on this team. But he’s also the biggest head case on this team. Hate to say it, he disappears in big games, pouts and talks waaaay too much. Trade him while his value is high. He might garner a first and a second round pick.
    • Trade Dak Prescott- I know the Jones boys don’t have the stones to do this but I would be vigorously seeking trade partners right now for Dak. They should have shopped him to Pitts because I think Dak would have agreed to that trade. That “no trade clause” just means they need to find a team he would like. It may be too late now.
    • See what trading Zack Martin, Trevon Diggs and D-Law could garner- doubtful there would be much value for Martin and Law at their age but I would explore it. Diggs maybe.
    • Draft a LT, G/C, WR and edge rusher the next two years that you can build around.
As stated earlier, the current core of this team has not given us much of anything in playoff wins. Isn’t that what we are supposed to be about? Winning playoff games? Like I said at the beginning, this will never happen. The Jones boys are mostly about sales and marketing. This is why they sign their “marquee” players whether or not having them means we have a legit shot at a Lombardi.

IMO it is long past the time to move on from this core of players who have underachieved. A new era of Cowboys football should be in the making. Don‘t hold your breath. There are jerseys and commercials to sell first.
Bad idea. Let's see what they have got this year. They could end up much better than you think.

Bobhaze

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
How many have we had in the last 15 years? Basically him and Dez. (And Amari before he refused a certain mandate.)

Feels like some people are throwing a tantrum and wanting to get rid of every good player we have. That's not how you get better.
It’s not a tantrum. I view players first and foremost about whether or not their presence on the team makes us better able to win playoff games in proportion to what we’re paying them. IMO paying Cedee Lamb top dollar as a WR does not make us better.

fivetwos

Reaction score
I don’t want a full rebuild until it’s gotten so bad that they realize the time has come to hire real football people to handle it.

I don’t see that as remotely possible until Jerry is gone and Stephen no longer wishes to deal with the negative media as they approach 50 years of futility.

Take your vitamins people!

Chocolate Lab

Run-loving Dino
Reaction score
It’s not a tantrum. I view players first and foremost about whether or not their presence on the team makes us better able to win playoff games in proportion to what we’re paying them. IMO paying Cedee Lamb top dollar as a WR does not make us better.
Why not? Can you imagine our WR corps without him?

It sounds like you don't want to pay anyone a second contract, except, what, QB, LT, and Edge rusher? The league looks at WRs differently. Look at how many WRs go in the first round every year now.

FanofJerry

Reaction score
I understand Dak, because he's had enough chances and has proven he can't get it done. I understand guys like DLaw, because he's older. (Plus he's very tired.)

But why do people want to get rid of CeeDee? I don't get it. He's a stud at one of the most coveted positions in the league, and he's still young.
If Dak goes...so should CeeDee. We will be hoping to capture lightening in a bottle by relying on a rookie to produce well the first few years.

Micah would be the only large contract I would think about keeping. He is harder to replicate. WR's are easier to find.

I am a HUGE HUGE HUGE Lamb fan. He has no on field flaws other than temper tantrums. He is a top receiver that deserves top money. But not worth keeping and paying with a rookie QB.

I would measure the market on Dak, CD, Micah, Diggs.

Bobhaze

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I love you @Bobhaze , but I don't fully agree with this. I don't think getting rid of Micah and CeeDee is such a good idea. Besides, look at how our FO screwed up when we traded away A. Cooper!! You think they would get any of these other trades right? LOL
Lol, thanks Mary. I knew most fans would not agree with this. And it’s all good to disagree. I’ve just come to believe if your best players aren’t collectively getting you anywhere in the playoffs, why pay top dollar to keep them around, getting the same results?
Why not? Can you imagine our WR corps without him?

It sounds like you don't want to pay anyone a second contract, except, what, QB, LT, and Edge rusher? The league looks at WRs differently. Look at how many WRs go in the first round every year now.
Yes, I can imagine our WR corps without him if we drafted another guy in round one with one of the first round picks we have in my scenario.

It’s all good Choc. I’m not upset by disagreement.

jazzcat22

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
But would keeping and paying CeeDee be worth it, if they had a much better QB?

Bobhaze

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
But would keeping and paying CeeDee be worth it, if they had a much better QB?
It’s a good question Jazzy. Maybe. But the FO would have to get a lot more aggressive to get a new QB before that would make more sense IMO.

I just don’t see this FO doing that. They have drafted one QB in the first round in 35 years. And he’s the only one in the Jones era to ever even win a divisional playoff game, much less a conference championship or a SB.

pitt33

Reaction score

Keep CD.

Trade Parsons

Flamma

Reaction score

There is nothing to dislike about this plan. Get a ton of picks and new blood. I'd actually be excited if they did this. But couldn't they just have been a little more active in FA to try to improve upon our current team? Of course that would include extending Dak, and that might be a mistake. But they might end up extending him anyway.

All I am saying is, had they wanted to be a true SB contender they could have improved the team. They chose not to. But I kind of like your idea better.

Big_D

Reaction score
At this point, why not? I don’t think it would help any with Jerry and his kid, but it would be interesting to watch them even screw up a clean slate.