A Brandin Cooks stat

America's Cowboy

Reaction score
Yup, yet so many posters claim we don't need to draft a WR early because we are fine with only CeeDee as a legit WR.

Pfft! We've got no other legit WR other than CeeDee. We need another top WR to help CeeDee out who can also help better open up our Offense against tough Defenses.

blueblood70

Reaction score
It took over half the season for the Cowboys to figure out how to use Cooks.

If he picks up where he left off next year he should get close to or exceed 1000 yards even with Lamb and Ferguson options 1 and 2.
As much as I agree with what you're saying is Brandin cooks is a legitimate #2 at least for now when you got a guy like lamb eating up targets there isn't a lot of balls to go around,

people in here think that but go look at the other teams with the absolute stud at wide receiver they want the ball and if you don't get it to them, they'll start complaining and most of them they have a young #2 that are up for a contract that believe they're #1 they're holding out and they're demanding trades.

I looked around most number twos on a team with a legitimate #1 like Justin Jefferson and jamar chase their number twos are in the 600 to 800 yard mark yes even T Higgins and those other guys are not putting up over 1000 yards regularly, if you're going to have a legitimate #1 it's much like the old Cowboys when you have Michael Irvin you feed them as early and often then you go to your top tight end and then you go to your number two wide receiver but then you also have your running back out of the backfield there's just not enough balls to go around..

This place has this picture in their mind that we should have the greatest show on turf type numbers at wide receiver that we almost had that three years or so ago where we nearly had three guys with 1000 yards that doesn't happen very often and when it does it's usually because you're not running the ball a lot and you're forced to pass a lot or you're playing from behind in that case yeah you might have a number 2 with over 1000 yards...​
She could already see the animosity right now between A.J. Brown and Smith I don't think they're going to be able to keep both most of the teams that did have a couple really good receivers on the same team those backups are leaving they've already demanded trades they might hold out when you have jamar chase A.J. Brown Justin Jefferson CD lamb those guys those are what you look for you feed them as much as possible and it doesn't leave a lot left... I don't remember our backups to Michael Irvin having huge years stat wise they contributed when call the pawn but they didn't put up a ton of yards so I think 600 to 900 yards is acceptable especially if you add 8 touchdowns but go around and show me the number 2 receivers on all 32 teams and show me the ones that are getting over 1000 yards yearly?? And I'll show you a team that probably played from behind a lot and are probably not big winners..​
This whole spread the ball around nonsense is just that look as long as you have a solid run game a number one wide receiver and a dependable #1 tight end who cares how the ball is distributed to the rest of the guys those are just table scraps... If CD lamb was injury prone I'd really worry about it but he is not I don't remember him missing many games in his career yet... And yes I think Brandon cooks is dependable for now they may need to find another number too but it's not gonna be high in the draft.. We have far too many holes to worry about the number two wide receiver..​

blueblood70

Reaction score
CeeDee is the #1 and plays like one.
Cooks is the #2 and plays like the #3.
I guess Fergy is our new #2. Most of the best TEs are (in some cases they are #1 option), so hope he keeps it up!
He actually doesn't I'm not gonna keep repeating myself so I'm just gonna copy and paste this from my last post,

I looked around most number twos on a team with a legitimate #1 like Justin Jefferson and jamar chase their number twos are in the 600 to 800 yard mark, yes even T Higgins and those other guys are not putting up over 1000 yards yearly, if you're gonna have a legitimate #1, it's much like the old Cowboys when you have Michael Irvin you feed them as early and often then you go to your top tight end and then you go to your number two wide receiver but then you also have your running back out of the backfield there's just not enough balls to go around..

This place has this picture in their mind that we should have the greatest show on turf type numbers at wide receiver that we almost had that three years or so ago where we nearly had three guys with 1000 yards but that doesn't happen very often and when it does it's usually because you're not running the ball a lot and you're forced to pass a lot or you're playing from behind in that case yeah you might have a number 2 with over 1000 yards...

you could already see the animosity right now between A.J. Brown and Smith , Higgens wants out, they got rid of Theilen, I don't think they're going to be able to keep both most of the teams that did have a couple really good receivers on the same team those backups are leaving they've already demanded trades,
they might hold out when you have jamar chase A.J. Brown Justin Jefferson CD lamb those guys those are what you look for you feed them as much as possible and it doesn't leave a lot left... I don't remember our backups to Michael Irvin having huge years stat wise, they contributed when call the upon but they didn't put up a ton of yards, so I think 600 to 900 yards is acceptable especially if you add 8 touchdowns but go around and show me the number 2 receivers on all 32 teams and show me the ones that are getting over 1000 yards yearly?? And I'll show you a team that probably played from behind a lot and are probably not big winners..

This whole spread the ball around nonsense is just that look as long as you have a solid run game a number one wide receiver and a dependable #1 tight end who cares how the ball is distributed to the rest of the guys those are just table scraps... If CD lamb was injury prone, I'd really worry about it but he is not I don't remember him missing many games in his career yet... And yes I think Brandon cooks is dependable for now they may need to find another number too but it's not going to be high in the draft.. We have far too many holes to worry about the number two wide receiver.

MoistMayonnaise

Devil's Advocate
Reaction score
Lamb had as many targets as receiver 2 and 3 combined. Dak wasn't looking for other recievers, he's not really capable of check downs in a reasonable time frame. So he throws to target 1 all day. Doesn't really matter who the other receivers are, they won't get the ball enough to consistently make a difference.

Player Games Tgt Rec Yds
CeeDee Lamb*+ 17 181 135 1749
Jake Ferguson* 17 102 71 761
Brandin Cooks 16 81 54 657
Michael Gallup 17 57 34 418
Jalen Tolbert 17 36 22 268
Rico Dowdle 16 22 17 144
KaVontae Turpin 16 18 12 127
Luke Schoonmaker 17 15 8 65
Deuce Vaughn 7 7 7 40
Jalen Brooks 7 6 6 64
Peyton Hendershot 8 7 4 38
Hunter Luepke 17 4 3 18

blueblood70

Reaction score
Lamb had as many targets as receiver 2 and 3 combined. Dak wasn't looking for other recievers, he's not really capable of check downs in a reasonable time frame. So he throws to target 1 all day. Doesn't really matter who the other receivers are, they won't get the ball enough to consistently make a difference.

Player Games Tgt Rec Yds
Rico Dowdle 16 22 17 144
Deuce Vaughn 7 7 7 40
Jalen Brooks 7 6 6 64
Hunter Luepke 17 4 3 18
why does this matter to you guys?? the ball distribution doesn't matter as long as you have a clear number one and that you're at the end of the year have an offense that can move the football and it's clear we did we had one of the top offenses in the league as far as yards and touchdowns.

Literally, blaming Prescott for feeding his number one wide receiver is insane, seriously that's the way offenses are designed, if you can get your number one 117 catches for 1749 yards that's exactly what the offense was designed to do.. I don't know about using your number one as a decoy but some of you had that in your mind that he should look off his number one just to feed his other guys to make you happy about the stat sheet????

So, in a year that lamb broke receiving catches and yards all time for the Dallas Cowboys, somehow you think that the other guys were supposed to get fed we were supposed to just not throw the ball to the two? Lmab and the 1 are usually open , you throw it to your first read, lamb was open A LOT, got the targets and catches and it shows.

you literally look around the league most backups the number 2 receivers on the team have under 900 yards most of them are between 600 and 900 there are very few examples, and this is the problem when you go look at the yardage 1749 on 117 receptions... Sure if you change the ball distribution and give lamb only 100 targets and he got 1100 yards then you have 600 yards you can split between the next two dudes but why does it matter as long as you have the production????!!!

that is what people are trying to beat into your mind, I mean you could be the Seattle Seahawks yeah, they had two 1000 yard receivers they both barely had over 1000 yards.. So they had 2200 yards between them what exactly did that get their offense that ours didn't do literally as long as you're moving to football it doesn't matter about ball distribution... Literally acting like this is like some kind of negative it's ridiculous,

you're not gonna have those type of numbers every year so city labs not gonna have that many targets that many receptions or that many yards and therefore the number 2 and the tight end will have a few more and it'll all look more even if that makes you all feel better but there is no balance sheet it's the total yards and touchdowns by your offense that matters...

Many of those #2 that you see in around the league there's maybe three and T Higgins devante Smith and jaylen waddle and I already mentioned Tyler Lockett but he only had 1000 yards but so did his number one literally if you give DJ Metcalf 1700 the Tyler Locket would not have had 1000 yards...

All these teams I don't believe any of them made it past the first round of the playoffs and one of them didn't even make the playoffs... I can't remember but didn't see at all not make the playoffs so they had two 1000 yard players who cares and again devante Smith first round exit jalen waddle I believe weren't the Miami Dolphins also a first round exit what does it really matter of what your number two is doing if you're number one is clearly got so many targets and so many yards...

I mean in most cases when you have a lot of receivers that all have a lot of yards it's because you're playing from behind all the time and you're checking the ball in the air most of them are garbage yards and most of the time you're not seeing those teams in the playoffs...

Why don't you go breakdown what the Kansas City Chiefs wide receiver group looked like show me what their offense look like and why does it really matter they're usually using a running back by committee since hill left and they're using a running back by committee and somehow they're winning Super Bowls...

Just because you see say 3 or maybe 4 backups with 1000 yards look at what their number ones did and then also look at what their teams did overall I can tell you it doesn't matter I don't really understand the reasoning behind worrying as long as the office is productive of what the number two had and again I believe CD lamb's gonna get a little bit less this year and they'll be a little bit more for others but it doesn't matter as long as your offense is moving the football and scoring touchdowns...

I mean if you wanna stay with just the Dallas Cowboys I think the best year they had with Gallup amari Cooper and CD lamb all getting close to 1000 yards or over 1000 yards wasn't that the losing season wasn't that the one Prescott got hurt I don't remember either way has it got us to a championship game and a Super Bowl?? I mean that year the ball was more distributed evenly we had more targets and more threats and it didn't get us any further...

Aerolithe_Lion

Reaction score
Here’s another one I posted last summer:

6 times in his career, he was the number 1 WR and posted over 1000 yards. The 1 time he wasn’t the #1 WR? LA Rams lining up with Cooper Kupp… 583 yards. THAT was the Cooks to expect.

charron

Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
Cooks has almost identical stats the last 2 years with 2 different teams. That is why I was wondering if he's just starting to slow down a bit. The concern isn't in the regular season but in the post season where the entire offense seemed to struggle. This high profile offense disappears in tough games, that's why you have to worry about if other players can step up when they take CD away.

blueblood70

Reaction score
Here’s another one I posted last summer:

6 times in his career, he was the number 1 WR and posted over 1000 yards. The 1 time he wasn’t the #1 WR? LA Rams lining up with Cooper Kupp… 583 yards. THAT was the Cooks to expect.
Yes ,you should expect 6 to 900 from your #2 when your number one has 117 catches for almost 1800 yards ,there's not a lot of balls to go around, that's like #1 and #2 yardage from your 1...

literally just look at for instance Lockett and DJ maybe 2200 between them. so, Seattle's pair both got 1k each YEA but ours got drum roll please =2406

the Cowboys were top five in the NFL in passing yards.. they had more than the eagles , lions,or the 49ers..

So can we stop the nonsense does it doesn't matter as long as your offense can move the ball and score the football and we were a top five offense believe we were number one in scoring but I can't remember and I'm not going back to look at it I can tell you this the run game is where things went wrong when you're 1 dimensional and the team knows they can get stops in your run game with a four man line and create pressure and play zone that's the problem it's not the passing game it's fixing the run game so it's a threat enough to actually help with time of possession and moving the football when it really matters and in the playoffs we haven't had a good run game in so long I can't remember the last second round where we had an actual run game that was dangerous or a physical offensive line..

Last edited:

blueblood70

Reaction score
the Cowboys were top five in the NFL in passing yards.. they had more than the eagles , lions,or the 49ers..

So can we stop the nonsense does it doesn't matter as long as your offense can move the ball and score the football and we were a top five offense, I believe we were number one in scoring but I can't remember and I'm not going back to look at it..

I can tell you this the run game is where things went wrong when you're 1 dimensional and the team knows they can get stops in your run game with a four man line and create pressure and play zone that's the problem it's not the passing game it's fixing the run game so it's a threat enough to actually help with time of possession and moving the football when it really matters and in the playoffs we haven't had a good run game in so long I can't remember the last second round where we had an actual run game that was dangerous or a physical offensive line

America's Cowboy

Reaction score

Player Games Tgt Rec Yds
Rico Dowdle 16 22 17 144
Deuce Vaughn 7 7 7 40
Jalen Brooks 7 6 6 64
Hunter Luepke 17 4 3 18
Baloney.

Cooks and Gallup weren't getting as open.

Look at Dak's yearly stats and targets. He gets the football to receivers who frequently get open. It hurt us badly not having another legit WR during the playoffs.

JayFord

Reaction score
Cooks did exactly what he was supposed to do

run his routes well and not have the defense bracket CeeDee which is why he had a career year

everything aint about stats

J12B

Reaction score
We should go Brian Thomas or McConkey Round 1.

J12B

Reaction score
We should go Brian Thomas or McConkey Round 1.

Mr_437

Reaction score
Top 3 WRs are starters. Are we comfortable with CeeDee, Cooks, and Tolbert as the starting WRs? Of course not. There's a draft filled with solid WR prospects, draft one who can become WR2 when Cooks becomes a UFA.

I thought Cooks had a solid season, and I can see him being more productive next season.

LACowboysFan1

Reaction score
Seems like even more evidence pointing toward the cold hard fact that Dak doesn't come off his first read.
That's incorrect. Watch the games, his progressions were much better, as was noted by several of the commentators as on the NFL Network next day shows. That's partly the reason he cut way down on the interceptions vs. the year before.

I know, Dak's not "elite", but he does have skills....