A Brandin Cooks stat

RoboQB

Reaction score
That's incorrect. Watch the games, his progressions were much better, as was noted by several of the commentators as on the NFL Network next day shows. That's partly the reason he cut way down on the interceptions vs. the year before.

I know, Dak's not "elite", but he does have skills....
Watch the games? Oh, okay thanks. I hadn't thought of that. Watch the games. Brilliant!
Next, someone will tell me I don't know football.

No buddy, you are incorrect. Maybe you should take your own advice and watch the games instead allowing commentators on NFL Network tell you what to think.

"Watch the games." Good grief.

khiladi

Reaction score
Maybe becayse the Texas West Coast offense has Dak bailing early and Dak sucks at going down his progressions..

khiladi

Reaction score
Cook wasn’t supposed to be the number 2. He was the number 3. Gallup was supposed to be the 2, this the contract. Cooks was supposed to stretch the field.

khiladi

Reaction score
Team had 4397 net passing yards last year. 3rd in the NFL and only 117 behind first place Miami. What do you guys want, 6000 yards with multiple 1500 yard receivers?

The receiver group is one of the least of Dallas' issues. The run game is where Dallas' base offense problems start.
Both have widely over-rated QBs too…

gimmesix

Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life
Reaction score
Team had 4397 net passing yards last year. 3rd in the NFL and only 117 behind first place Miami. What do you guys want, 6000 yards with multiple 1500 yard receivers?

The receiver group is one of the least of Dallas' issues. The run game is where Dallas' base offense problems start.
Although I do think Cooks is more of a No. 3 than No. 2 at this point in his career, I agree that we need to pay attention to the whole picture. We were not going to take plays away from Lamb to give them to other receivers, so the other receivers' numbers were going to be down unless we passed it even more often than we did. I'd prefer to get younger at the No. 2 spot and let Cooks slip into being the No. 3, but we're going to feed Lamb because most of the time, he deserves to be fed. We need those other receivers, though, to step up when a good defense schemes to take Lamb away.

And yes, I also agree that fixing the run game is more of a priority, and it will help all of our receivers.

Toro9

Reaction score
I don't care what anyone says; Cooks is a threat. The coaches put a lesser player out there when it was 2 WR sets and I'm sure Dak missed seeing him a few times.They really wanted Gallup to come alive but he couldn't.

LACowboysFan1

Reaction score
Watch the games? Oh, okay thanks. I hadn't thought of that. Watch the games. Brilliant!
Next, someone will tell me I don't know football.

No buddy, you are incorrect. Maybe you should take your own advice and watch the games instead allowing commentators on NFL Network tell you what to think.

"Watch the games." Good grief.
Well, that's all I could think of, if you think Dak can't make secondary reads, I don't know how you could have missed all the announcer's comments and the replays showing where Dak was looking at before the throws.

RoboQB

Reaction score
Well, that's all I could think of, if you think Dak can't make secondary reads, I don't know how you could have missed all the announcer's comments and the replays showing where Dak was looking at before the throws.
Looking off the safety is not the same as progressing through your reads. You're old enough to know better than to mindlessly listen to commentary.
Unless it's a check down, Dak goes first read nearly every play. Look at the total targets.

HungryLion

Reaction score
To be fair. Cooks is the 3rd target in the offense.

Lamb, Ferguson, then Cooks.

So I think he is perfectly fine as a #3 option in the passing game.

CowboysFaninHouston

CowboysFaninDC
Reaction score
Dak didn't start looking his way till halfway thru the season.
and McCarthy didn't have the right game plan using him. he is fast, deep threat and MM started the season with a bunch of 5 yard routes like old WCO. once we started to attack deep is when the offense found a lot of success.

SteveTheCowboy

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
- McCarthy did not design, scheme or care to involve Brooks into games ... until the media actually called him out.
And even then, coaches seem to use Brooks as more a possession guy than dangerous vertical guy

- Dak had issues connecting with speedy Brooks in deep fly-go routes - overthrowing him every time .

- Frankly we just flat have not being using Cooks the way he needs to be .... the way he could be. the way he should be.
Seems to me this has been a problem for quite a few receivers in our passing game...including RB's.

There is a common denominator and it ain;t Jerry.

LACowboysFan1

Reaction score
Looking off the safety is not the same as progressing through your reads. You're old enough to know better than to mindlessly listen to commentary.
Unless it's a check down, Dak goes first read nearly every play. Look at the total targets.
If the player is open, then maybe Dak's just running the play that was called.

As most quarterbacks do. Just because he turns his head doesn't only mean he's looking off the safety, we have no way to tell what he's really looking at.

It's obvious you don't care for Dak at all, unlike me and others that just notes he has issues but also has skills. And that we'll never agree.

But that's what makes being a fan interesting. Thanks for your post....

RoboQB

Reaction score
If the player is open, then maybe Dak's just running the play that was called.

As most quarterbacks do. Just because he turns his head doesn't only mean he's looking off the safety, we have no way to tell what he's really looking at.

It's obvious you don't care for Dak at all, unlike me and others that just notes he has issues but also has skills. And that we'll never agree.

But that's what makes being a fan interesting. Thanks for your post....
I never claimed he didn't have skills. You've mentioned that twice now. Maybe you're trying to convince yourself. I don't know. He locks in to his first read. An easy example is his pick 6 against GB. Cooks is right in front of him but he was looking Lamb the whole way. Dak was late, the DB jumped and he threw it anyway. It's all there on the video.

The original point was that he doesn't come off his first read. I don't recall any TV personalities praising Dak for
progressing through his reads. And yes, you can absolutely tell where a QB is going if you have the knowledge and understanding of the formations and schemes and the benefit of All-22 video.

It's an obviously lazy comment to claim it's personal toward Dak. Nice passive aggressive dig there, pal.
Bless your heart...

LACowboysFan1

Reaction score
" I don't recall any TV personalities praising Dak for
progressing through his reads"

I do. You must have missed them.

And there's also this, from the Dallas Cowboys website:
"This offensive line is playing at a high level and it's allowing Dak to fully go through his reads and progressions..."

No way could Dak throw the 36 tds and reduce his 15 ints from the year before if he doesn't go through progressions, defense can easily read that. And quite frankly EVERY NFL quarterback goes through progressions, some just do it better than others.

But like I said, plainly we don't agree, time to move on.....

RoboQB

Reaction score
" I don't recall any TV personalities praising Dak for
progressing through his reads"

I do. You must have missed them.

And there's also this, from the Dallas Cowboys website:
"This offensive line is playing at a high level and it's allowing Dak to fully go through his reads and progressions..."

No way could Dak throw the 36 tds and reduce his 15 ints from the year before if he doesn't go through progressions, defense can easily read that. And quite frankly EVERY NFL quarterback goes through progressions, some just do it better than others.

But like I said, plainly we don't agree, time to move on.....
Who? Aikman? Nope. Greg Olsen? Dudes a clown.
"Hurry up and score so Philly can get the ball back."
Yeah, that Olsen is quite the game management guru.

A quote from the Dallas Cowboys website?
By who, Mackey Spagnola? And what game was this quote in reference to? I mean, if you're gonna cherry pick, at least provide some details that support your claim.

TV is not much different than a high school debate.
They essentially are told who to push to the viewers.
Pay attention long enough and you'll see them contradict every comment they previously made.

Check out Skip Bayless vs. Skip Bayless in reference to Aaron Rodgers. It's a hilarious side by side video of him
praising and bashing Rodgers. He's slime, but they all do it eventually.