A changing of the guard defensively?

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
These are my own thoughts on what's happening internally regarding the defense. I'm curious if anyone else is getting the same vibe or indications?

I think Rod Marinelli is scaling things back. Word was that he was contemplating retirement after the 2017 season wrapped up, and that he was also willing to step aside if Matt Eberflus wanted the defensive coordinator job. That shows me a guy with one foot out the door, or at the least a guy who wants to take on a lesser workload.

Enter Kris Richard, a former defensive coordinator just last year, and by all indications a young coach on the rise. In fact, Richard interviewed for the Colts head coaching job before accepting the defensive backs coach job here. It seems odd to me that a person would interview for a head coaching role and then quickly accept a job two notches down from that in the coaching tree. That is, unless there were things discussed other than just coaching the defensive backfield.

My belief s that we're seeing a passing of the torch and a transition of power from Marinelli to Richard. I think that Rod is content to focus on what he truly loves, and that's coaching the defensive line, while turning more of the responsibilities for the defense over to Richard, who is being groomed to ultimately replace him. Coach Rod's career is winding down and I think he's fine working with and turning things over to his eventual successor.

I don't expect it to be announced formally, but I'm seeing enough signs to think that's what's happening. I also noticed on draft day that Marinelli was quick to involve Richard and turn the phone over to him to talk to the rookie draft picks. In fact, it looked to me like Richard spoke to them more than Marinelli did. A small thing, but something noticeable.

Has anyone else gotten this same impression?

xwalker

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Yes, I noticed he was in the draft war room often.

As defensive passing game coordinator, he'll be involved with the entire defense.

When he arrived, he immediately said Byron Jones was moving to CB. I don't think the previous secondary coaches had the authority to make that type of decision in the Spring.

cern

Reaction score
These are my own thoughts on what's happening internally regarding the defense. I'm curious if anyone else is getting the same vibe or indications?

I think Rod Marinelli is scaling things back. Word was that he was contemplating retirement after the 2017 season wrapped up, and that he was also willing to step aside if Matt Eberflus wanted the defensive coordinator job. That shows me a guy with one foot out the door, or at the least a guy who wants to take on a lesser workload.

Enter Kris Richard, a former defensive coordinator just last year, and by all indications a young coach on the rise. In fact, Richard interviewed for the Colts head coaching job before accepting the defensive backs coach job here. It seems odd to me that a person would interview for a head coaching role and then quickly accept a job two notches down from that in the coaching tree. That is, unless there were things discussed other than just coaching the defensive backfield.

My belief s that we're seeing a passing of the torch and a transition of power from Marinelli to Richard. I think that Rod is content to focus on what he truly loves, and that's coaching the defensive line, while turning more of the responsibilities for the defense over to Richard, who is being groomed to ultimately replace him. Coach Rod's career is winding down and I think he's fine working with and turning things over to his eventual successor.

I don't expect it to be announced formally, but I'm seeing enough signs to think that's what's happening. I also noticed on draft day that Marinelli was quick to involve Richard and turn the phone over to him to talk to the rookie draft picks. In fact, it looked to me like Richard spoke to them more than Marinelli did. A small thing, but something noticeable.

dak over tony and sayonara dez shows a changing of the guard at the highest level. imo, Stephen's taking over the helm. and he hasn't been happy with the coaching. Marinelli, linehan and garrett are all on the hot seat. it's about time we had some accountability at the coaching spots.

Batman1980

Reaction score
Linehan is the worst of the 3. His units have to be just right at so many key spots or you get what we got in the second half of the 2017 season. Even Romo with less talent on offense than we had last year was consistently at least average. Marinate is a defensive guru but the game has passed him by, just like it did his close friend and mentor Monte Kiffin.

jazzcat22

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan

I have often posted for. long time that we a dedicated DE coach. Maybe rod takes more of the role this year. I never liked a DE / DT coach as well as CB / S coaches as separate coaches. Felt they just need a DL and DB coaches, with assistants.

Seems that may be what they are going for more so with the DB's, as Richard also has more responsibility than the old Baker / Henderson fiasco. I have not been impressed with Leon Left as DT coach, as no one ever seems to develop. And that DE coaching took away Rod's focus on DC duties. Maybe I am off a bit there, but it is just my thoughts. Maybe if they actually drafted players with high picks for Leon I would feel different. And when I say he hasn't developed anyone, I am not talking about any players that are just naturally good. If that makes any sense. it does to me. LOL.

Anyway there is a lot to work with at De this year. But sure will feel better about Dt when Collins returns, and after Irving is off suspension. But I do think Ward will surprise a lot of people.

Batman1980

Reaction score
He likely took the DB coaching job here because they talked to him about a promotion to DC later.

Marinelli is about where Kiffin was in 2013 so it wouldn't surprise me if this is his last season. I want the new DB coach to eventually be the HC, would be nice.

glimmerman

Reaction score
Marinelli is about where Kiffin was in 2013 so it wouldn't surprise me if this is his last season. I want the new DB coach to eventually be the HC, would be nice.
Just hoping there isn’t a big change in Defensive scheme. Taken some years to get the personel to run this style. Would hate to see them switch back to a 3-4 or something.

Doomsday101

Reaction score
Heck right now I would love 1 season where we were not forced to start the season with defensive players being suspended. Seem each year we have to start off short handed and make adjustment for 2 to 4 weeks. Injuries are something that will happen but adding to the misery is seeing others miss because of stupidity

Silver Surfer

Reaction score
Just hoping there isn’t a big change in Defensive scheme. Taken some years to get the personel to run this style. Would hate to see them switch back to a 3-4 or something.

You'd think they'd be smart enough to bring a guy in with a similar philosophy.....

Batman1980

Reaction score

We still lack depth at LB and DE, not to mention there are no ballhawks in the secondary and no one at DT scares anybody.

Supercowboy1986

Reaction score
My understanding was that our 4-3 scheme is either very similar or the same as the Seahawks which is why Richard was an off-season target for the coaching staff

You'd think they'd be smart enough to bring a guy in with a similar philosophy.....

OmerV

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
He likely took the DB coaching job here because they talked to him about a promotion to DC later.

He was going to have to take a job as a position coach somewhere, whether with the Cowboys or another team, but certainly the possibility that Marinelli may be close to stepping aside may have been the difference in why he chose Dallas.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
Rod has probably done about all he can. The defense is poised to be the most improved this year after finishing strong last year. Probably be a good time to bow out.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Rod has probably done about all he can. The defense is poised to be the most improved this year after finishing strong last year. Probably be a good time to bow out.

I agree that I also see the potential for the defense to show marked improvement. Provided they can come up wth a manageable answer at 1-technique so teams can't attack them with the running game.

Bobhaze

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan

Been my impression for sure. Will be interesting to see if our defense adopts a more agressive approach. Richard was much more agressive in Sea than Marinelli has been here. This young defense has more raw talent than it’s had in years and Richard is an excellent guy to develop it.

Here’s another question- if Garrett doesn’t get us to the playoffs or worse, will Jerry make Kris Richard the next HC?

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Been my impression for sure. Will be interesting to see if our defense adopts a more agressive approach. Richard was much more agressive in Sea than Marinelli has been here. This young defense has more raw talent than it’s had in years and Richard is an excellent guy to develop it.

I think the two styles are very different, even if they share some similarities. Richard places a much bigger emphasis on harassing receivers than Marinelli ever did. And I really, I see two guys honestly emphasizing different areas of the team. Marinelli focused on the defensive line, Richard on "the rest".

Here’s another question- if Garrett doesn’t get us to the playoffs or worse, will Jerry make Kris Richard the next HC?

In my opinion? It would have to depend on what other candidates were actually available and in the running. If Jerry had a flashier name in kindle, maybe not. But if he didn't, I could see Richard getting his shot here.

JoeKing

Diehard
Reaction score

I agree but the Cowboys defense couldn't be in better hands than with Chris Richard. The hybrid D that Marinelli coaches is what Richard is also known for since his days with the Legion of Boom.