A closer look at Jayron Kearse’s interception that was called defensive PI

Runwildboys

Confused about stuff
Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
I do not approve of blocking. It means you are intolerant.
Cowboyroy has me blocked.

It's because he can't make reasonable arguments for his points, and can't logically refute mine.

I like ya blue...I do...but I disapprove of cancel culture/.
I have several people blocked. The reason is that I have a tendency to decide after a while that I may have been judging too harshly, so I give them a second, third, even fourth chance, and I regret it every time. It's just easier to remove the vitriol from my view

robertfchew

Reaction score
Watching the replay from behind when they showed it, you could easily see the grab and pull. I did not easily see OPI, but I admit that I wasn't looking for it because I was trying to figure out why they made the call against Kearse.

At first, I was upset because I thought they called it for him reaching over to contest the ball, which was a clean play. But when they showed the replay, the grab and pull was clear. I don't see how anyone can argue against that.

I didn’t see the actual play but I’m just gonna go off what you say. The flag needs to come out right when it happens then they don’t get to watch the whole thing and then decide ok there was a penalty.

TheHerd

Reaction score
Doesn't matter. The official saw the grab and made the call. The call was legitimate even if DBs get away with it all the time.
It's like holding. Happens every play. The part I hate is what another poster mentioned - some teams know for being physcial defenses get away with it regularly.

DCreppinBoysfan

Reaction score
Is it me or does it sound like this guy thinks Kearse was on the Cowboys last season ?
I was listening to hanging with the boys and one of the guys made a point that Kearse is the one who gathers the secondary together and is giving the pregame speech and talking the most during the prehuddle. And he’s the guy that’s taking the coaching and bringing it to the football game. He’s breaking it down for the secondary to where they need to me and what they should be doing. He’s a leader out there. And that’s what we need and been lacking. Somebody that understands what we’re doing and need to be doing and it only vocalizing but demonstrating. He might not be the physically gifted but he’s smart and understands the game. He sounds like Darren Woodson and he can play multiple secondary position. I like this guy and hope he keeps getting a majority of the snap

Last edited:

ultron

Reaction score
That call enraged me….a guy makes a perfect play and is penalized for it. The absolute state of officiating….
Yea, I’m not a ‘beat the referees up’ or blame the referees kinda guy, but like I said this was the first play of the game that I saw and I mostly feel bad for Kearse because this was 2 guys physically fighting for the ball and he won the fight and it’s a beautiful play on his part.

SteveTheCowboy

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I have several people blocked. The reason is that I have a tendency to decide after a while that I may have been judging too harshly, so I give them a second, third, even fourth chance, and I regret it every time. It's just easier to remove the vitriol from my view
Good point. You may have changed my mind. I might have to use the feature after all. :cool:

G2

Taco Engineer
Reaction score
Same here, people don't change. I accidently hit on someone I ignore and was quickly reminded what a d-bag they purposely try to be. What a better place without that.

gimmesix

Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life
Reaction score
I didn’t see the actual play but I’m just gonna go off what you say. The flag needs to come out right when it happens then they don’t get to watch the whole thing and then decide ok there was a penalty.

There wasn't much of a time difference between the grab and tug and Kearse jumping up to bat the ball. I'm not sure exactly when the flag came out.

gimmesix

Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life
Reaction score
Because it is rarely called and the replay shows the elbow to the head the same time he pulled to be honest. You hear it every week. "Yeah the defender had his arm around him but did not turn him"

This was classic of that case and in this case he pulled as he was getting pushed away up top.

He held him, which helped him go over the top and bat the ball. He didn't turn him because it wasn't that kind of interference. The grab and tug impeded the receiver and drew a flag.

JohnsKey19

Reaction score
He didn't impede nothing. But watch the TE push him off his spot at the 4-5 second mark.

Weak penalty call or not, the good thing is Kearse is capable of making this type of play against a huge and agile target like Cook. I imagine we'll see him matched up against Goeddert and/or Ertz this week.

Runwildboys

Confused about stuff
Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
He didn't impede nothing. But watch the TE push him off his spot at the 4-5 second mark.

Really hard to tell anything from that angle. Obviously he grabbed jersey, but I can't tell if he pulled or just used the jersey to keep track of him. Nor can I tell if there was a push off. In either case, we've certainly seen much worse that wasn't called...I'm just glad we won the game, so this isn't as big an issue as it otherwise would've been.

xwalker

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I missed the whole first quarter and this was the first play I saw as soon as I turned the TV on. In real time I said they were both fighting for the ball and Cook initiated the contact, Kearse has an equal right to go after that ball & it was perfect coverage and a bad call. Here’s a look (courtesy of Akoye Media on YouTube - link below for his video)

Kearse tugged the Jersey briefly, but it's just too easy and obvious for the refs to see.