A common complaint about Dak is he is horrible in the redzone

PAPPYDOG

There are no Dak haters just Cowboy lovers!!!
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
@PAPPYDOG I’m with you Pappy. It’s 100 of them and only 10 of us. That is not fair. They need to get more people.
Veteran-In-the-darkest-hour-when-demons-come-call-on-me-brother-and-we-will-fight-them-together-poster.jpg

DeaconMoss

Reaction score
Is that he's horrible in the redzone. Look at these stats and who he's ahead of.

https://www.pro-football-reference.com/years/2019/redzone-passing.htm

He certainly needs to improve inside the 20 no argument. But he’s done pretty good as far as TD’s which is my point.
:huh:
Dak Career Stats (unlike posting 1 season's worth of stats to somehow show a skewed approach):

Opponents Red Zone

137 of 253 54.15% Comp % 981 Yards 59 TD's 7 INT's 20 Sacks

Opponents 1-10 Yard Line

56 of 116 48.28% Comp % 241 Yards 36 TD's 4 INT's 7 Sacks
:flagwave:

MountaineerCowboy

Reaction score
In 2020, when it was the 4th quarter, within 7, he threw a whopping 61.1%, a 4.6 YPA, his longest was 24 yards, he threw 0 TDs had 1 INT, 2 sacks (pass protection was holding up) and a QBR of 60.8. He was 22 for 36.

Dak is the very definition of a “part tiger”. People say he was bringing the team back, when in reality, the defenses simply tightened up at the end and he floundered.

https://www.nfl.com/players/dak-prescott/stats/situational/
My point exactly. Thank you for providing actual data to back things up instead of relying simply on your feels.

The defenses simply went back to playing how they played when they weren't up by 3 TDs and Dak went back to looking like Dak.

Rockport

AmberBeer
Reaction score
Come on Rocky. You're smarter than that, aren't you? I can easily prove that he doesn't attempt those throws very often, if at all. I suppose I can't really "prove" it's because he can't, but that's where a little reason, and common sense comes in to play. Why on earth would an OC handcuff himself in those critical situations by consistently choosing NOT to attack the entire field. That makes no sense at all. It also now spans two different OC's.

Every TD throw Dak has made is there for us to view. It would be relatively easy to find the throws that refute my claim and offer them as evidence.

Yet nobody does.
I'm not going to waste my time trying to prove you wrong when no matter what I prove you're not going to believe it or change your mind because of it.

MountaineerCowboy

Reaction score
I'm not going to waste my time trying to prove you wrong when no matter what I prove you're not going to believe it or change your mind because of it.
When you say "I'm not going to waste my time proving you wrong" it really means I can't prove you wrong, because you're not wrong, so I'll just pretend like you're below me instead.

Vtwin

Safety third
Reaction score
Here's the thing Rocky, in this case all the video evidence necessary to prove it one way or the other is there for us to see. This is one of the rare provable points brought up here. There is no way for me to argue against video proof. This is a golden opportunity for you to definitively prove me wrong. No stats to interpret. No "expert" opinions to debate. Nothing but inarguable video proof.

Why don't you jump on this opportunity to shut up a "hater" once and for all?

Bailing out using some emotionally motivated reasoning, like you just did, seems weak. It indicates you have no counter argument.

You're inside the 10 now Rocky. Go ahead, test my safeties. Hit that TE on the quick slant.

Vtwin

Safety third
Reaction score
If you've been saying this this whole time, kudos to you for your consistency.

But take that one criticism, which may be legit and I'm not even disrupting it, into context of the entire player and its not some fundamental flaw. Room for improvement? Sure. But I take offense at people acting like one issue completely disqualifies the entire player.
I see what you're saying and the vast majority, if not all QB's have a flaw in their game.

I do think this particular flaw is as close to a deal breaker as it gets though. For all the great attributes Dak brings to the table, he still needs to have the confidence and ability to test the defense in this situations. So far he hasn't shown that. I also think this is exactly where the rubber meets the road regarding the 'can't teach accuracy' philosophy. Anyone can improve, to a point. Not everyone can improve to the level he needs to be in these scenarios. It's a much a mindset as it is physical ability. Dak has never been a risky thrower of the ball. That can be, and has been a great attribute at times. It hurts him in these situations because he seems to lack the confidence to thread the needle. Maybe because he doubts his ability to do so.

I sincerely hope he proves me wrong this year.

SteveTheCowboy

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
HE didn't win (or lose) those games himself, it's a TEAM sport. So the correct way to phrase your silly comment would be, "The team is 42 - 27. Thanks for asking." Leaving off the asine comment about the bad defense as the defense for the most part has not really been that horrible. It hasn't been as bad as in years past, it hasn't been great I will grant you that. Yes, last year was sad, but your boy wasn't there for that mess.

Oh, and you seem to have started another Dak thread, thus again throwing some shade on your false narrative of leaving all that talk about Dak to the "haters" on the Dak channel. Must be some sort of "agenda".
Exactly. He puts on airs...but he is a true real troll. He puts all these dak thing up...knowing what's gonna happen...then battles them. Like he's missing his active duty action. This behavior should not be allowed.

SteveTheCowboy

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I see what you're saying and the vast majority, if not all QB's have a flaw in their game.

I do think this particular flaw is as close to a deal breaker as it gets though. For all the great attributes Dak brings to the table, he still needs to have the confidence and ability to test the defense in this situations. So far he hasn't shown that. I also think this is exactly where the rubber meets the road regarding the 'can't teach accuracy' philosophy. Anyone can improve, to a point. Not everyone can improve to the level he needs to be in these scenarios. It's a much a mindset as it is physical ability. Dak has never been a risky thrower of the ball. That can be, and has been a great attribute at times. It hurts him in these situations because he seems to lack the confidence to thread the needle. Maybe because he doubts his ability to do so.

I sincerely hope he proves me wrong this year.
This about as fair assessment as you can get. With such clarity. My compliments.

khiladi

Reaction score
My point exactly. Thank you for providing actual data to back things up instead of relying simply on your feels.

The defenses simply went back to playing how they played when they weren't up by 3 TDs and Dak went back to looking like Dak.

It also shows how he curls up and takes the underneath in the pressure situations. On the other hand, take a look at Deshaun Watson, since the comparison was made in a thread, last year, with pretty much no WRs and no OL:

55 of 71 for a 77% completion percentage rate,
a WHOPPING 10.4 YPC, 6 TDs and only 1 INT, while getting sacked 8 times, which reveals most probably how much worse his pass protection was in those moments as compared to Dak. His QBR on those circumstances was over 130.

https://www.nfl.com/players/deshaun-watson/stats/situational/

This idea Dak is clutch or a big time gamer is completely absurd and all built on the first year, when he played ball control while Zeke was punishing defenses and wearing them down.

Also, it’s pretty evident even with Zeke’s decline, he still is forcing the coverages that favor man on man (nobody can cover Amari in those situations) and Gallup can out run plenty of guys on the sidelines, which is why his Go route numbers are so high relative to the rest of the WRS in the league.

Also, as far as the Giants game last year that “Dalton won, but the win is for Dak”, if one actually looks at the game logs, the only reason the Cowboys took the lead is because Moore completely went away from Dak pass attack, which led to TOs and Giants building a lead, and started force-feeding Zeke who couldn’t be stopped. The same pattern continued we Dalton, in that the real impact was in the RG and Zeke, which forced the go route look once again to Gallup. Dak is pretty much a 1 read QB, of which big chunks of yardage come play action on man forced by Zeke.

Dalton’s play was better seen after the bye, when Dallas adjusted to a short passing game and Dalton was getting the ball out quickly. Dallas went on a solid win streak and he played way better in the division playoff clinching game than Dak did against the Eagles, with third string CBs on defense the year prior and Dak put up like 10 pts, despite having all three of his linemen in Collins, Smith and Martin. In fact, Dalton didn’t even get to play a single game outside less than a quarter with Martin, while Dak played all his games under Martin in 2020, with an offense tailored to Dak’s for basically five years. If Gallup didn’t drop one of his wide open passes in the red zone right on cue, Dalton would have beat the Giants with all the chaos on the OL. Give Dalton those OL and no dirty hit concussion, meaning more time to adjust the offense, the season would have most likely been completely different.

Last edited:

Cowboy4ever

Reaction score
Here's the thing Rocky, in this case all the video evidence necessary to prove it one way or the other is there for us to see. This is one of the rare provable points brought up here. There is no way for me to argue against video proof. This is a golden opportunity for you to definitively prove me wrong. No stats to interpret. No "expert" opinions to debate. Nothing but inarguable video proof.

Bailing out using some emotionally motivated reasoning, like you just did, seems weak. It indicates you have no counter argument.

You're inside the 10 now Rocky. Go ahead, test my safeties. Hit that TE on the quick slant.

So I went and watched every TD by Dak - I was curious. It includes all TD, passing, rushing and receiving and can be found on you tube. Anyway, 138 total TDs watched, Inside the 20 I counted 9 total TDs thrown in the middle of the field and Inside the 10 - 6 total TD thrown in the middle of the field. I am sure you can watch it and see more or less depending on what you consider "middle" of the field, I tried to be generous in what I was counting but to each their own.

While I was watching the video a couple things really stood out though:

• Once they acquired Cooper, they didn't really attack the middle of the field in the Red Zone with passes anyway. In the video prior to Cooper, the RPO , fake and quick throw to the TE over the middle was a go to but it has all but disappeared in the last few years. Saw it only once and it was a TD, go figure.
  • They seemed a lot more aggressive inside the 30 in the last few years with attacking the end zone - is this the Moore effect?
  • Daks foot work has improved a lot since his rookie year and the result is what appears to be a much stronger arm today. Hopefully he is consistent which would eliminate my biggest compliant and concern with him.
  • I was not in favor of drafting a RB at 4, but man Zeke is a beast in pass protection. If you are going to have a QB worth 40 mil, you need a Zeke back there to protect him. (Still not worth the 4th overall pick)
It was a fun watch, ready for some Football now! Go Cowboys.

Rockport

AmberBeer
Reaction score