A Conglomeration of James Marten Projections

Cajuncowboy

Preacher From The Black Lagoon
Reaction score
BigWillie;1476315 said:
Just because he is rated as a 3rd round pick by scouting services doesn't mean he was a 3rd round pick on our board. In the end, it only matters what the Cowboys think of him, right?

Although I know Goose and Scott Wright are God's, they are not the only ones who evaluate these prospects. Sometimes (but I've only heard of this once or twice), these teams do scout players. Crazy, ain't it?

well I agree with that. It really only matters what the Cowboys themselves think. That's what's so funny about some of the goofballs on here that get bent out of shape when someone has an opinion on an opinion driven message board.

Some people need some Prozac and in a hurry.

DragonCowboy

Reaction score
Cajuncowboy;1476324 said:
Beaten? In the very thread started to defend the pick, there are 4 sources that say he is a second day pick. How is that beaten? Just because you scream louder doesn't mean you are right.

And no one here is right or wrong. It's about opinion. An opinion can't be wrong. Only facts can be wrong. And facts are that there are multiple sources that agree with my opinion.

Some people really have ego problems.

It's not about screaming louder, it's about more people screaming it. When there are more people who hold a belief (it's about 4:1), one can assume they're right more than wrong.

And if it's our opinion, why are you assailing it like no other (that sarcasm WAS a shot at our beliefs).

:lmao: you really are the one looking as if he has ego problems.

Cajuncowboy

Reaction score
DragonCowboy;1476337 said:
It's not about screaming louder, it's about more people screaming it. When there are more people who hold a belief (it's about 4:1), one can assume they're right more than wrong.

And if it's our opinion, why are you assailing it like no other (that sarcasm WAS a shot at our beliefs).

:lmao: you really are the one looking as if he has ego problems.

Just because more people say it doesn't mean it's right or wrong. Most people said we would never walk on the moon. They were wrong.

Most people said the world was flat at one time. They were wrong.

Your point is now invalid.

Bob Sacamano

Benched
Reaction score
cajun, the problem is that you took the lowest round grade for Marten and ran with it like it was the end all, beat all justification of where he should go, when there are numerous other grades that put him around where we got him, maybe he went a few picks higher in the 3rd than he should have, but the 3rd/4th round was his grade

leaving out that trading out of the 2nd round netted us more than just the 3rd round pick isn't helping your standing in this argument either, we get you don't like the pick, but it's not fair to project him as a monumental reach

DragonCowboy

Reaction score
Cajuncowboy;1476355 said:
Just because more people say it doesn't mean it's right or wrong. Most people said we would never walk on the moon. They were wrong.

Most people said the world was flat at one time. They were wrong.

:lmao:

Nice spin.

First of all, people gave reasons for not being able to walk on the moon. Yes, they might've been wrong, but giving actual facts and reasons would make it more plausible. Same for the world being flat.

I haven't seen anything from you except whining in this thread.

Nothing is sure for now, but things can be more plausible.

Nice try, though.

Doomsday

Rising Star
Reaction score
Who cares where they have him, whether or not he can play is all that matters.

StanleySpadowski

Reaction score
Cajuncowboy;1476324 said:
Beaten? In the very thread started to defend the pick, there are 4 sources that say he is a second day pick. How is that beaten? Just because you scream louder doesn't mean you are right.

And no one here is right or wrong. It's about opinion. An opinion can't be wrong. Only facts can be wrong. And facts are that there are multiple sources that agree with my opinion.

Some people really have ego problems.

It would be one thing if your 4 sources that have him ranked lowly were at least somewhat credible. One is just some guy who decided to list players, no different than the hundreds of people here who compile draft boards (should we include those also?), one has people that were taken in the first round listed in the 70s and people in the 30s that weren't even selected on the first day, one has a history of being the "outlier", it's how they try to make their name and one looks absolutely clueless.

If the legitimate draft "experts", you know, the few guys who actually make a living dealing almost exclusively with the draft like Mayock or Kiper would agree, you might not look the fool defending this drivel.

NinePointOh

Reaction score
Doomsday;1476373 said:
Who cares where they have him, whether or not he can play is all that matters.

Go away. This thread is for draftniks like me who feel an obsessive need to quantify every draft selection because they don't want to wait eight months to figure out "whether or not he can play." :p:

Cajuncowboy

Reaction score
Condraft.com 4th

Scout.com day 2 "Guy"

DMN 8th best

Here are three more after a cursory look on the net. Yeah, looks like he is a landslide pick for what we did to get him.

Awakened

the Dude abides
Reaction score
Just to be fair, most of the third round predictions that specify an exact number value are lower than 67, as noted below.

NinePointOh;1476217 said:
For those who think we got poor value in the third. All I've compiled so far ...

Sports Illustrated: 2nd round
Draft Notebook: 2nd round
John Murphy at Yahoo Sports: 2nd round
Jazz Sports: 2nd round
BoltHype: 2nd round
Rivals.com: 2nd round
Draft Stock: Late 2nd round
Walter Football: Late 2nd round
Football Forecasters: Late 2nd round
Todd McShay at Scouts, Inc.: High 3rd round
Mel Kiper, Jr.: 3rd round - 92
NFL Draft Dog: 3rd round
Six Talking Heads: 3rd round - 78
NinersNation: 3rd round - 81
Mile High Report: 3rd round - 81
Big Blue Interactive: 3rd round -
Great Blue North: 3rd round 91
Rick Gosselin: 3rd round - 85
Consensus Draft Services: 3rd round
NFL Draft Countdown: Day one pick
Peter Schrager at Fox Sports: Early 4th round
DraftAce: 4th round
Northwest Scouting: 4th round
New Era Scouting: 5th round

Cajuncowboy

Reaction score
DragonCowboy;1476371 said:
:lmao:

Nice spin.

First of all, people gave reasons for not being able to walk on the moon. Yes, they might've been wrong, but giving actual facts and reasons would make it more plausible. Same for the world being flat.

I haven't seen anything from you except whining in this thread.

Nothing is sure for now, but things can be more plausible.

Nice try, though.

Maybe you should read more. Whining seems like something you are used to btw.
http://cowboyszone.com/forums/showthread.php?t=86453&page=8

Spectre

Reaction score
so he's good, great, average, has potential, below average and a campbody...

okay, good.

Cajuncowboy

Reaction score
Bob Sacamano;1476368 said:
cajun, the problem is that you took the lowest round grade for Marten and ran with it like it was the end all, beat all justification of where he should go, when there are numerous other grades that put him around where we got him, maybe he went a few picks higher in the 3rd than he should have, but the 3rd/4th round was his grade

leaving out that trading out of the 2nd round netted us more than just the 3rd round pick isn't helping your standing in this argument either, we get you don't like the pick, but it's not fair to project him as a monumental reach

#1 I didn't call him a monumental reach. If this was our original pick and we hadn't moved to that point and we took him, so be it. But we moved to get this guy. We gave up a second round player who could help us and got anywhere from a late second round player that is a project and that is what I called him to a fourth or fifth round guy. also, I don't think netting the 4th rounder mitigates the value difference.

With all that said, I hope he is a great player for us.

The main bone of contention here now is not my opinion of the selection but the fact that it differs and some people can't stand to have differing views and they go on the attack.

Bob Sacamano

Benched
Reaction score
Cajuncowboy;1476475 said:
#1 I didn't call him a monumental reach. If this was our original pick and we hadn't moved to that point and we took him, so be it. But we moved to get this guy. We gave up a second round player who could help us and got anywhere from a late second round player that is a project and that is what I called him to a fourth or fifth round guy. also, I don't think netting the 4th rounder mitigates the value difference.

With all that said, I hope he is a great player for us.

The main bone of contention here now is not my opinion of the selection but the fact that it differs and some people can't stand to have differing views and they go on the attack.

I think it's more to do w/ us not liking the field of athletes available in the 2nd, and not wanting to pay a 2nd round contract to a player they're not that all set for drafting there, than moving down just to get Marten, plus you have to think about Dallas not having a 3rd round pick and liking the value presented there more than in the 2nd

Marten is also considered a 3rd round guy too

Cajuncowboy

Reaction score
StanleySpadowski;1476381 said:
It would be one thing if your 4 sources that have him ranked lowly were at least somewhat credible. One is just some guy who decided to list players, no different than the hundreds of people here who compile draft boards (should we include those also?), one has people that were taken in the first round listed in the 70s and people in the 30s that weren't even selected on the first day, one has a history of being the "outlier", it's how they try to make their name and one looks absolutely clueless.

If the legitimate draft "experts", you know, the few guys who actually make a living dealing almost exclusively with the draft like Mayock or Kiper would agree, you might not look the fool defending this drivel.

It's amazing how they are right all the time isn't it?
I think the fools are the ones who attack someone for an opinion.
And the ones you quoted, specifically Mayock who I heard say he will need a lot of coaching. So that tells me that he is a project. Which is what I said from the very beginning.

Only a fool would not understand that.
Understand?

Bob Sacamano

Benched
Reaction score
Cajuncowboy;1476485 said:
It's amazing how they are right all the time isn't it?
I think the fools are the ones who attack someone for an opinion.
And the ones you quoted, specifically Mayock who I heard say he will need a lot of coaching. So that tells me that he is a project. Which is what I said from the very beginning.

Only a fool would not understand that.
Understand?

dude, you musn't have been following along, Jerry just said today that Marten wasn't a pick based on need, but of best available talent

Cajuncowboy

Reaction score
Bob Sacamano;1476483 said:
I think it's more to do w/ us not liking the field of athletes available in the 2nd, and not wanting to pay a 2nd round contract to a player they're not that all set for drafting there, than moving down just to get Marten, plus you have to think about Dallas not having a 3rd round pick and liking the value presented there more than in the 2nd

Marten is also considered a 3rd round guy too

Actually that makes more sense than anything posted so far by anyone, myself included in all likelihood. It is a reflection on value and what one places on the player/position.

I just don't see the value in making the moves then ending up with this player/position as being anything of any substantial gain.

But we really won't know the answer to that for a few years.

Too bad more people on here don't convey their opinions more like you and less like Atilla The Hun.

Bob Sacamano

Benched
Reaction score
Cajuncowboy;1476502 said:
Too bad more people on here don't convey their opinions more like you and less like Atilla The Hun.

naw, I'm just in a good mood today ;)

Cajuncowboy

Reaction score
Bob Sacamano;1476491 said:
dude, you musn't have been following along, Jerry just said today that Marten wasn't a pick based on need, but of best available talent

Honestly I didn't hear Jerry say that, I missed that. Nevertheless, if the guy needs a lot of coaching and has problems with his footwork that would classify him as a project, IMO.