A Conglomeration of James Marten Projections

Cajuncowboy

Preacher From The Black Lagoon
Reaction score
DragonCowboy;1476513 said:
Have I whined about this?

I haven't even whined about your whining. I've just made some observations.

This my friends is what we call an oxymoron.

And you don't read.

DragonCowboy

Reaction score
Cajuncowboy;1476520 said:
This my friends is what we call an oxymoron.

And you don't read.

Again, noting that you were whining is not, in fact, whining. It's making an observation. YOU, sir, don't read.

Cajuncowboy said:
He was the 5th or 6th ranked OT in the draft. A so-so draft class at that regarding OTs. We traded away a second round pick to get resigned a guy who most people on here didn't even know existed before his name was called.

Well, Mayock had him rated as the 4th OT in the draft, so there're conflicting opinions on that. Marten wasn't the ONLY thing we got from our 2nd rounder

Cajuncowboy said:
We have just resigned Columbo, got L. Davis, resigned Gurode.

Colombo is resigned for a year, Marten could be for the year afterwards. Marten may be able to play LG for Kosier, and he might replace Flozell at LT.

Cajuncowboy said:
We have a need at WR for depth, but we didn't have anyone to shoot for at this pick, so the one area where we can always use players because of the 3-4 scheme is LB and with Buster Davis sitting there we could have used him and he would contribute.

I agree with you there, we probably could've used a WR, but OT is also important. Jerry also probably felt that we had enough players at the LB position (Ware, James, Ayodele, Ellis, Burnett, Carpenter, Spencer, etc). Marten makes for good depth.

Cajuncowboy said:
This guy has awful footwork from what I've read and he needs ALLOT of coaching.

And we gave up a second for this?

Yeah, I've given it some thought.

He is also very strong from what I've read, and who doesn't need coaching, he's coming out of college, and he's a third rounder.

No, we gave up a third for this.

As have I.

silverbear

Semi-Official Loose Cannon
Reaction score
Cajuncowboy;1476241 said:
So this averages out to a 3rd round pick. Right where we got him. We traded a second round pick away to do this. This is value how?

Perhaps that extra, early 4th rounder??

kmd24

Reaction score
Cajuncowboy;1476475 said:
If this was our original pick and we hadn't moved to that point and we took him, so be it. But we moved to get this guy. We gave up a second round player who could help us and got anywhere from a late second round player that is a project and that is what I called him to a fourth or fifth round guy. also, I don't think netting the 4th rounder mitigates the value difference.

Either you did a bad job of explaining your point, or your logic is bad.

This reads as though you would have preferred picking Marten at 53 instead of picking him at 67 even though picking at 67 got an extra 4th (103) and swapped the 6th rounders, moving the Cowboys from 195 to 178.

Anyway, I think if there's a reason Dallas picked this guy aside from his size and talent, it's his versatility. If he can back up several positions on the line he could possibly save a spot on the active roster on gamedays.

NinePointOh

Reaction score
Cajuncowboy;1476303 said:
You have four that place him fourth or lower.

Yes, and more than twice as many that place him in the second. I don't understand why you would cling to the small minority and ignore the consensus.

I could have intentionally left off every source that put him lower than the 3rd just to make myself look good, but I included every one that I could find to fairly establish the consensus value of the player.

Picking up the 4th doesn't mitigate the value of the second when we are drafting for the future.
What are you talking about? A very high third and a very high fourth (plus a late round swap) are enough to mitigate the value of a mid-to-late second.

Mr Cowboy

Reaction score
We could have picked at our second round slot and still fot Marten in the third round. That garbage about an extra fourth and switching places in the sixth is really dumb.

How many of our draft picks will even make the team? There are not many slots open. We have a project Tackle on the roster, and now we have two. Jerry should have packaged all those second day picks to try to get an extra 3rd of fourth and be done with it. Chances are that all of today's picks, (or the majority of them) will be no more than camp bodies, so what did we gain with the extra fourth and a higher sixth round pick? Better camp bodies?

I am happy with Spencer, and that we have we fleeced Clevland for next year, but it seems that we gave up the rest of th draft while crowing about it.

What about this year? I can't believe there wasn't a player in the second who could come in an contribute immediately, while still picking our project Tackle in the third.

zrinkill

Cowboy Fan
Reaction score
When did the 4th round become trash rounds?

Some of you do realize that of last years draft the only one who started was a 5th round pick????

:rolleyes: some of you guys need to wait and see who we pick before ya jump off the bridge

Mr Cowboy

Reaction score
zrinkill;1477386 said:
When did the 4th round become trash rounds?

Some of you do realize that of last years draft the only one who started was a 5th round pick????

:rolleyes: some of you guys need to wait and see who we pick before ya jump off the bridge

By the same token you don't get rid of early picks to accumulate late round picks hoping to hit on them. There is a far better chance of hitting on a second rounder than a fifth rounder.

Last year we probably had as many FA's make the team as draft picks.

NinePointOh

Reaction score
Mr Cowboy;1477371 said:
We could have picked at our second round slot and still fot Marten in the third round.

What about this year? I can't believe there wasn't a player in the second who could come in an contribute immediately, while still picking our project Tackle in the third.
I guess I'll be the one to point out the obvious.

Until we traded down, we didn't have a third round pick. We traded it to Philly to get Spencer. We could not have taken Marten (or anyone else, for that matter) in the third.

WoodysGirl

U.N.I.T.Y
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Mr Cowboy;1477371 said:
We could have picked at our second round slot and still fot Marten in the third round. That garbage about an extra fourth and switching places in the sixth is really dumb.

How many of our draft picks will even make the team? There are not many slots open. We have a project Tackle on the roster, and now we have two. Jerry should have packaged all those second day picks to try to get an extra 3rd of fourth and be done with it. Chances are that all of today's picks, (or the majority of them) will be no more than camp bodies, so what did we gain with the extra fourth and a higher sixth round pick? Better camp bodies?

I am happy with Spencer, and that we have we fleeced Clevland for next year, but it seems that we gave up the rest of th draft while crowing about it.

The 'boys didn't have a 3rd after the trade with Philly. They gave it up when they moved back into the 1st for Spencer.

As for who they pick in the 4th, I guess it's a matter of who they pick before we know if they're projects or not and what kind of impact they can make.

Bob Sacamano;1476483 said:
I think it's more to do w/ us not liking the field of athletes available in the 2nd, and not wanting to pay a 2nd round contract to a player they're not that all set for drafting there, than moving down just to get Marten, plus you have to think about Dallas not having a 3rd round pick and liking the value presented there more than in the 2nd

Marten is also considered a 3rd round guy too
This is exactly how Jerry explained it yesterday. They just didn't see the value in the 2nd for the players they wanted. The players they wanted, they felt they could get in the 3rd. Which they were able too...

I'm one who doesn't care that he was selected higher in the 3rd than some draft mags had him rated. One thing I noted after Marten was selected was the run on linemen. The 'boys had they moved back, prolly wouldn't have been able to get him or any other lineman if that was the position they were targeting.

Mr Cowboy

Reaction score
OK, so we pick our project tackle in the fourth, what difference does it make? According to Norm (last night), the most value left on the board are OL. And who is to say that Marten wouldn't be there this morning at our first 4th round pick, or even the later one?

Or if trading was the object of the day, why not package the later round picks to get back into the third round?

I feel we missed some opportunities while patting ourselves in the back.

NinePointOh

Reaction score
Mr Cowboy;1477394 said:
By the same token you don't get rid of early picks to accumulate late round picks hoping to hit on them.

We didn't "get rid of" any picks, except to trade up. Moving down ten or fifteen spots isn't the end of the world.

If you're targeting a guy with your pick and you believe you can get him (or a player of similar caliber) later, then the decision to trade down and accumulate more picks makes sense. Drafting the same guy higher doesn't increase his chances of success.

There is a far better chance of hitting on a second rounder than a fifth rounder.
Which is why we didn't trade a second rounder straight up for a fifth rounder.

NinePointOh

Reaction score
Mr Cowboy;1477413 said:
I feel we missed some opportunities while patting ourselves in the back.

So tell us who we missed out on at 53 that we couldn't have had in the 3rd, because among the players taken between 53 and 67, I don't see a single player we'd have been extremely likely to draft:

Eric Wright, Turk McBride, Josh Wilson, Tim Crowder, Victor Abiamiri, Ikaika Alama-Francis, Ryan Kalil, Samson Satele, Gerald Alexander, Dan Bazuin, Brandon Jackson, Sabby Piscatelli, Quentin Moses, Usama Young

Mr Cowboy

Reaction score
NinePointOh;1477431 said:
So tell us who we missed out on at 55 that we couldn't have had in the 3rd, because among the players taken between 55 and 67, I don't see a single player we'd have been likely to draft.

How about the player that Cleveland took with our pick..........Eric Wright.

Gosselin said he was the best athlete in this draft and a very good corner. sure he had some character problems, but he supposedly cleaned up. He could come in and contributed from day one. Or how about Kalil or Satele or Brandon Jackson?

WoodysGirl

U.N.I.T.Y
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Mr Cowboy;1477452 said:

Gosselin said he was the best athlete in this draft and a very good corner. sure he had some character problems, but he supposedly cleaned up. He could come in and contributed from day one. Or how about Kalil or Satele or Brandon Jackson?
You should've listened to the ticket, yesterday. Apparently, they were targeting a WR and an OL. Once Jarrett came off the board, that's when they began working the phone. Satele and Kalil might have been in that group of guys on their radar in addition to Marten.

After the trade back, it became more and more likely, they were going for an OL.

NinePointOh

Reaction score
Mr Cowboy;1477452 said:

So you honestly think the CB with character problems, who had 3 interceptions in his entire college career, and who missed his entire junior year with an injury was the obvious choice, and that we missed out big time by not taking either him or a backup center?

Silverstar

Reaction score
Mr Cowboy;1477452 said:

Gosselin said he was the best athlete in this draft and a very good corner. sure he had some character problems, but he supposedly cleaned up. He could come in and contributed from day one.

Yep, I really wanted Wright to be a Cowboy.

I think the Browns got themselves a starting CB for years to come.

I'll feel a lot better though, if we draft Courtney Brown today.

http://www.nfldraftscout.com/ratings/profile.php?pyid=21669