CFZ A Cowboys Version of Chat-GPT. Ask Anything About 2022 Cowboys

T-RO

Reaction score
Time to share a little secret. I'm a database developer and I have a database containing every play of every game of the 2023 Cowboys. There's that, and more in my data collection.

Most of what I offer is destined to soon get replaced by AI, so I might as well enjoy a short season of usefulness. Maybe a couple stray likes and nice comments.

Here's a game we can play to pass some time during this dull period prior to training camp:
You ask a thoughtful interesting question, and I'll try to answer from the data I have collected. The catch? I get to provide my commentary with any answer. The other catch? I ignore questions I don't like, for any reason.

I'll provide some example questions to help you get the idea. One here...more late Wednesday.

Example Question #1

Question: If Sam Williams played as many defensive snaps as DeMarcus Lawrence who would have generated the most sacks?

Answer: Williams generated 4 sacks on 273 snaps. Lawrence generated 6 snaps on 697 snaps.

Had Williams played as many snaps as Lawrence (at the same production per play) he would have produced 10.2 sacks.

Sam Williams, had he played as many defensive snaps, projects to produce 4.2 more sacks, a 70% increase.

Commentary: The Cowboys appreciated that Williams was a rookie with numerous maturity issues, evidenced both in college and on Dallas streets during his rookie season. They gave Williams 245 special teams snaps (Lawrence had none), plus a part time role in the defense. Also Lawrence offered more as a run defender (68.2 PFF > William's tepid 61.3) and as a mature, seasoned leader.

It's likely that if Williams applies himself to his trade he can well surpass Lawrence in 2023 as a pass rush threat. The questions will continue for now about Williams ability to manage himself, on--and off--the field.

Last edited:

CowboyoWales

Reaction score
Time to share a little secret. I'm a database developer and I have a database containing every play of every game of the 2023 Cowboys. There's that, and more in my data collection.

Most of what I offer is destined to soon get replaced by AI, so I might as well enjoy a short season of usefulness. Maybe a couple stray likes and nice comments.

Here's a game we can play to pass some time during this dull period prior to training camp:
You ask a thoughtful interesting question, and I'll try to answer from the data I have collected. The catch? I get to provide my commentary with any answer. The other catch? I ignore questions I don't like, for any reason.

I'll provide some example questions to help you get the idea. One here...more late Wednesday.

Example Question #1

Question: If Sam Williams played as many defensive snaps as DeMarcus Lawrence who would have generated the most sacks?

Answer: Williams generated 4 sacks on 273 snaps. Lawrence generated 6 snaps on 697 snaps.

Had Williams played as many snaps as Lawrence (at the same production per play) he would have produced 10.2 sacks.

Sam Williams, had he played as many defensive snaps, projects to produce 4.2 more sacks, a 70% increase.

Commentary: The Cowboys appreciated that Williams was a rookie with numerous maturity issues, evidenced both in college and on Dallas streets during his rookie season. They gave Williams 245 special teams snaps (Lawrence had none), plus a part time role in the defense. Also Lawrence offered more as a run defender (68.2 PFF > William's tepid 61.3) and as a mature, seasoned leader.

It's likely that if Williams applies himself to his trade he can well surpass Lawrence in 2023 as a pass rush threat. The questions will continue for now about Williams ability to manage himself, on--and off--the field.
Interesting, on that question, do these figures differentiate between Sam's results after playing all three downs as opposed to coming in for 3rd down pass-rush.

T-RO

Reaction score
Example Question #2

Question: If Dallas wanted a "chunk play" or as some say a "splash play" from the running game, who was more likely to provide it, Zeke or Tony Pollard? Assume a splash play is 10 yards or more.

Answer: Most every fan now knows that Pollard was more likely to deliver such big running plays. But to be exact: Pollard provided it in 16% of his carries. Zeke only 6%. Tony was 250% more likely to provide a big run play.

It is not enough, to merely count splash plays, if we don't also consider how "splashy" they were. Here are the 10 yard plus carries for both backs.
Pollard, despite fewer carries: 30 10+ yard carries, 19.6 yard average, 6 TD-house calls
Elliott: 15 10+ yard carries, 14.9 yard average, 2 TD- house calls

Outlaw Heroes

Reaction score
Example Question #2

Question: If Dallas wanted a "chunk play" or as some say a "splash play" from the running game, who was more likely to provide it, Zeke or Tony Pollard? Assume a splash play is 10 yards or more.

Answer: Most every fan now knows that Pollard was more likely to deliver such big running plays. But to be exact: Pollard provided it in 16% of his carries. Zeke only 6%. Tony was 250% more likely to provide a big run play.

It is not enough, to merely count splash plays, if we don't also consider how "splashy" they were. Here are the 10 yard plus carries for both backs.
Pollard, despite fewer carries: 30 10+ yard carries, 19.6 yard average, 6 TD-house calls
Elliott: 15 10+ yard carries, 14.9 yard average, 2 TD- house calls
By your numbers, Pollard was actually 267% more likely to produce a splash run play.

Please provide Dak’s passer rating by receiver. Thanks in advance.

VaqueroTD

Reaction score
Why do other teams fans hate the Cowboys so much?

Or going with the latest headlines: If you were alive, what position would you play?

Maybe we can find another lineman?

giphy.gif

pancakeman

Reaction score
Whoa, you can see into the future!?

For each combination of offensive linemen, what was the average running play gain and the average passing play gain?

jazzcat22

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
How do you account for the play call itself? Moore insisted on running Zeke into a stacked box 3 plays in. a row therefore reducing the opportunity for a splash play. As opposed to using Pollard to the outside therefor increasing his opportunities for a splash play.

Great you built this database. But it seems it is based on mathematics and probabilities. Or basically extrapolating averages of what ifs.
I do not mean that in a derogatory way. I love those type of of databases and spreadsheet sheet informative methods. Congrats for a great effort.
There should be some good and interesting questions and answers. Which I have one.

In the early 90's I wrote a computer program. More so to learn programming than what the results I wanted. Now with spread sheets it is so much simpler.
Anyway. You input the teams records, and I weighted points based off the records. Nothing scientific, just a formula I made up. Similar to the NFL points system.
Then input the teams stats as in yards gained and yards given up, points for and against. Then home or away game.

And I came up with what team should win based on those stats. What the score should be, and yards. It was not anymore correct than my gut feelings.....:laugh:
But it was very fun doing it. it was easy and simple, but the computer program made it easier. And I learned from it about programming, more than I already knew.

My question is.
What were Dak's passing numbers when CeeDee line up outside vs. the slot?
Can you find what it is overall as well, only passes attended for CeeDee.

T-RO

Reaction score
For each combination of offensive linemen, what was the average running play gain and the average passing play gain?
It would take a lot of time to parse all that as quite early and again late in the season there were lots of o-line variations. The summary with all its details would get boring.

However, I do like the question...and will provide a partial report, which I think you might find quite interesting.

SteveTheCowboy

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
How do you account for the play call itself? Moore insisted on running Zeke into a stacked box 3 plays in. a row therefore reducing the opportunity for a splash play. As opposed to using Pollard to the outside therefor increasing his opportunities for a splash play.

Great you built this database. But it seems it is based on mathematics and probabilities. Or basically extrapolating averages of what ifs.
I do not mean that in a derogatory way. I love those type of of databases and spreadsheet sheet informative methods. Congrats for a great effort.
There should be some good and interesting questions and answers. Which I have one.

In the early 90's I wrote a computer program. More so to learn programming than what the results I wanted. Now with spread sheets it is so much simpler.
Anyway. You input the teams records, and I weighted points based off the records. Nothing scientific, just a formula I made up. Similar to the NFL points system.
Then input the teams stats as in yards gained and yards given up, points for and against. Then home or away game.

And I came up with what team should win based on those stats. What the score should be, and yards. It was not anymore correct than my gut feelings.....:laugh:
But it was very fun doing it. it was easy and simple, but the computer program made it easier. And I learned from it about programming, more than I already knew.

My question is.
What were Dak's passing numbers when CeeDee line up outside vs. the slot?
Can you find what it is overall as well, only passes attended for CeeDee.
Wow...I think we had the same question...and your comment VERY pertinent! Nice!

dagreat1_87

Reaction score
This is very cool. I'm moving more into a data analyst role and it's always nice to see how people like yourself create something like this

irishline

Reaction score
Not certain how you can be sure Sweat's interception TD from behind the line of scrimmage, during the Philly game, was on a curl route (especially since the "target" was listed as Shultz and he typically didn't run curls). That is just one I can think of off the top of my head.

That said, I do agree a sizeable portion of them probably were.

Dallasfann

Reaction score
How many snaps was Demarcus Lawrence in on that was a run play compared to Williams.