A decision about McFadden needs to be made in 3 weeks

Supercowboy1986

Reaction score
Source: https://www.___GET_REAL_URL___/s/in...eing-tough-but-fair-with-darren-mcfadden/amp/

"There are three games left until Dallas has to either activate McFadden, release him, or place him on Injured Reserve."

I will preface by saying I believe the best player(s) should start despite draft status, contract size, etc.

I think it's a mistake if in 3 weeks we don't activate DMC to at the very minimum compete for RB2 against AM. In my opinion DMC (assuming he wins the spot or even gets a chance to compete for it) is simply just the better overall player despite being older.

Pros for McFadden:
- similar skill set to EE
- is a true 3 down back similar to EE
- not a liability in pass protection
- can catch the ball similar to EE
- cheap contract similar to AM
- proven success (1k yards rushing despite not being the full time starter at the beginning of the year with no QB)

Cons for McFadden:
- older
- labeled to be "injury prone" (which is fair given his history)
- hasn't been with the team all year till this point and may not instant chemistry

This isn't a knock on AM at all, I liked AM and was pleased when we signed him. I just think our offense would be more difficult to deal with when you are rotating 2 RB's that can do most of the same things in the backfield.

If AM and DMC compete for RB2 and AM still wins it, I will not have an issue with it.

lkelly

Reaction score
Cons:
Kind of sucks in a zone blocking scheme
Hasn't taken a snap in a long time
Can't fully extend his arm
Actually believed that "diving for a phone" was a real excuse for breaking his elbow

If you watched him last year he was the poster child for "any back could have success behind this line." He rarely had a run that made your heartbeat race and he was the master of going down when somebody touched him.

I think he's just been a cheap, non-roster spot insurance policy. I wouldn't expect him to be ahead of Morris but he's there in case they have a few injuries over the next few weeks. Dallas is sort of lucky that they were able to stash him for so long. They figured he was better as insurance than a conditional 7th rounder next year. The same thinking resulted in Leary, so hard to blame them.

LandryFan

Proud Native Texan, USMC-1972-79, USN-1983-2000
Reaction score
Source: https://www.___GET_REAL_URL___/s/in...eing-tough-but-fair-with-darren-mcfadden/amp/

"There are three games left until Dallas has to either activate McFadden, release him, or place him on Injured Reserve."

I will preface by saying I believe the best player(s) should start despite draft status, contract size, etc.

I think it's a mistake if in 3 weeks we don't activate DMC to at the very minimum compete for RB2 against AM. In my opinion DMC (assuming he wins the spot or even gets a chance to compete for it) is simply just the better overall player despite being older.

Pros for McFadden:
- proven success (1k yards rushing despite not being the full time starter at the beginning of the year with no QB)

Cons for McFadden:
- older
- hasn't been with the team all year till this point and may not instant chemistry

This isn't a knock on AM at all, I liked AM and was pleased when we signed him. I just think our offense would be more difficult to deal with when you are rotating 2 RB's that can do most of the same things in the backfield.

If AM and DMC compete for RB2 and AM still wins it, I will not have an issue with it.
Not at all trying to hijack your thread and I apologize for taking it in another direction, but doesn't the same apply to Jalen Smith? To me, that one's much more important.

CF74

Vet Min Plus
Reaction score
*Imaginary Gun at GM's Head*

Or

**Ticking Time Bomb**

Oh noes.....:eek:

jazzcat22

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Pros, he is better than Dunbar and Jackson, and Morris the way he has looked lately.
Cons, only the ones that the fans put on him from their stupidity and hate.

Supercowboy1986

Reaction score
Cons:
Kind of sucks in a zone blocking scheme
Hasn't taken a snap in a long time
Can't fully extend his arm
Actually believed that "diving for a phone" was a real excuse for breaking his elbow

If you watched him last year he was the poster child for "any back could have success behind this line." He rarely had a run that made your heartbeat race and he was the master of going down when somebody touched him.

I think he's just been a cheap, non-roster spot insurance policy. I wouldn't expect him to be ahead of Morris but he's there in case they have a few injuries over the next few weeks. Dallas is sort of lucky that they were able to stash him for so long. They figured he was better as insurance than a conditional 7th rounder next year. The same thinking resulted in Leary, so hard to blame them.

Fair points, I mentioned chemistry in my OP.

You also have to keep in mind, DMC would be the back up, not the starter. My point was there is less of a drop off in terms of scheme when DMC is in the backfield versus Morris.

Thanks for your response.

Supercowboy1986

Reaction score
Not at all trying to hijack your thread and I apologize for taking it in another direction, but doesn't the same apply to Jalen Smith? To me, that one's much more important.

No need to aplogize friend :)

I don't think it's the same because smith hasn't taken a single snap for us, whereas DMC has a full year of playing time with us. They also play different positions.

LandryFan

Proud Native Texan, USMC-1972-79, USN-1983-2000
Reaction score
No need to aplogize friend :)

I don't think it's the same because smith hasn't taken a single snap for us, whereas DMC has a full year of playing time with us. They also play different positions.
I see. I just thought that they were both on NFI so the same rule applied to both.

tyke1doe

Reaction score
What's up with Dunbar? Is he hurt? I don't see him anywhere?
Maybe DMC replaces Dunbar since the latter has been invisible since Week 1.

lkelly

Reaction score
Fair points, I mentioned chemistry in my OP.

You also have to keep in mind, DMC would be the back up, not the starter. My point was there is less of a drop off in terms of scheme when DMC is in the backfield versus Morris.

Thanks for your response.

I think they brought in Morris because he CAN run in this scheme. DMC, for all the Arkansas Hog glee he brings Jerry, is not a good fit for it. There was some wonderful analysis in the summer about his poor fit vs. Morris' in the offense.

What's the status of Dunbar? How many more weeks is he out?

jazzcat22

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I think they brought in Morris because he CAN run in this scheme. DMC, for all the Arkansas Hog glee he brings Jerry, is not a good fit for it. There was some wonderful analysis in the summer about his poor fit vs. Morris' in the offense.

No there was not, that was debunked.

Supercowboy1986

Reaction score

Do you have a link to that? I'd like to see it.

I don't know anything about LD

phildadon86

Reaction score

Pros for McFadden:

Cons for McFadden:
- older

Release him. Or put him on IR. No reason for our oline to have to now start man blocking as well as zone. They had to do this last season for DMC. I'd rather not mess with how they are playing now.

jazzcat22

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Where was the debunkery?

http://sportsday.***BANNED-URL***/d...wboys-snag-alfred-morris-run-scheme-low-price

I debunked it, but people don't want to listen....:lmao:....it's lonely being at the top of the de-bunk class....:laugh:.....

Aven8

Reaction score
I thought Fisher said we let go of Smith to activate Dmac?? Is that not correct?