A decision about McFadden needs to be made in 3 weeks

Nightman

Capologist
Reaction score
I debunked it, but people don't want to listen....:lmao:....it's lonely being at the top of the de-bunk class....:laugh:.....
You didn't debunk anything......DAL prefers the ZBS and that is not McFadden's strength

Zeke and AMorris are thriving in the ZBS this year

DMC is competing with Dunbar for part time 3rd down back and losing

Echo9

Erik_H
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
Source: https://www.___GET_REAL_URL___/s/in...eing-tough-but-fair-with-darren-mcfadden/amp/

"There are three games left until Dallas has to either activate McFadden, release him, or place him on Injured Reserve."

I will preface by saying I believe the best player(s) should start despite draft status, contract size, etc.

I think it's a mistake if in 3 weeks we don't activate DMC to at the very minimum compete for RB2 against AM. In my opinion DMC (assuming he wins the spot or even gets a chance to compete for it) is simply just the better overall player despite being older.

Pros for McFadden:
- similar skill set to EE
- is a true 3 down back similar to EE
- not a liability in pass protection
- can catch the ball similar to EE
- cheap contract similar to AM
- proven success (1k yards rushing despite not being the full time starter at the beginning of the year with no QB)

Cons for McFadden:
- older
- labeled to be "injury prone" (which is fair given his history)
- hasn't been with the team all year till this point and may not instant chemistry

This isn't a knock on AM at all, I liked AM and was pleased when we signed him. I just think our offense would be more difficult to deal with when you are rotating 2 RB's that can do most of the same things in the backfield.

If AM and DMC compete for RB2 and AM still wins it, I will not have an issue with it.
Not positive, but I think the article is wrong. They have three weeks to have him start practicing. Then there's an additional three weeks before he has to be added to the 53 .

Nightman

Capologist
Reaction score
Not positive, but I think the article is wrong. They have three weeks to have him start practicing. Then there's an additional three weeks before he has to be added to the 53 .
I thought they had 5 weeks after Week 6 to have him start practicing and then 3 weeks until they were added to the roster or IR'd for good

This coming Tuesday would be 2 weeks from the deadline to have him start to practice...that would go for Hanna and JSmith

Commencing on the day after the conclusion of the sixth regular season weekend and continuing through the day after the conclusion of the 11th regular season weekend, clubs are permitted to begin practicing players on Reserve/Physically Unable to Perform for a period not to exceed 21 calendar days. Pads and helmets are permitted during the 21-day period. At any time during the 21-day practice period, or prior to 4:00 p.m., New York time, on the day after the conclusion of the 21-day period, clubs are permitted to restore such players on Reserve/Physically Unable to Perform to their Active/Inactive List.

Satchel89

Reaction score
I would like to see him dress for a game to see if he's a better option then Morris. Morris has been solid but I was thinking maybe McFadden has a little more burst and he was pretty good behind that O-Line last year. Or he could even take Dunbar's spot. Just to see what he's got

jazzcat22

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
You didn't debunk anything......DAL prefers the ZBS and that is not McFadden's strength

Zeke and AMorris are thriving in the ZBS this year

DMC is competing with Dunbar for part time 3rd down back and losing

Guess you didn't read my posts from the offseason...your loss.

And yes Zeke is thriving but Morris not so much.

Echo9

Erik_H
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
I thought they had 5 weeks after Week 6 to have him start practicing and then 3 weeks until they were added to the roster or IR'd for good

This coming Tuesday would be 2 weeks from the deadline to have him start to practice...that would go for Hanna and JSmith

Commencing on the day after the conclusion of the sixth regular season weekend and continuing through the day after the conclusion of the 11th regular season weekend, clubs are permitted to begin practicing players on Reserve/Physically Unable to Perform for a period not to exceed 21 calendar days. Pads and helmets are permitted during the 21-day period. At any time during the 21-day practice period, or prior to 4:00 p.m., New York time, on the day after the conclusion of the 21-day period, clubs are permitted to restore such players on Reserve/Physically Unable to Perform to their Active/Inactive List.
I think we are on the same page with a little wiggle because of the uncertainly of whether the bye week counts in any way.

Either way, if they had 5 weeks, they have roughly 3 weeks left to have him start practicing, then another 3 weeks after that. So since the article is saying it's 3 weeks until they have to decide whether to add him to the 53, the article is wrong.

Jarv

Loud pipes saves lives.
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
I would like to see him dress for a game to see if he's a better option then Morris. Morris has been solid but I was thinking maybe McFadden has a little more burst and he was pretty good behind that O-Line last year. Or he could even take Dunbar's spot. Just to see what he's got

This is what I would do, as a 3rd down back, McFadden is at least a better blocker, all else being even.

Supercowboy1986

Reaction score
I'm surprised by most of the responses to this thread.

For a board that has consistently complained about entitled players and lack of competition at various positions are against 2 running backs competeting for a BACKUP spot. This is what practice is precisely for.

I find it really ironic that most want to just drop him without pushing for RB2. If AM is in fact the better option for the job he should be able to win the job from DMC. As I said in my OP it would be a huge mistake to not have them compete for it.

theebs

Believe!!!!
Reaction score
We are hanging onto him because it appears the league is hellbent on finding something on Zeke and the usa today has a new story about another incident with his girlfriend from february apparently.

I get the sense that after the josh brown misstep and jerry confronting lisa friel that there is no way zeke gets out of this mess unscathed. They are going to get him for something. We are going to have to win a couple of games without him at some point.

Hardline

Reaction score
We all seen what McFadden can do behind this oline. If he would've played 16 games last year we would've had back to back rushing champions.
McFadden is a valuable asset to this team. All he has done on the field is produce.

Nightman

Capologist
Reaction score
I think we are on the same page with a little wiggle because of the uncertainly of whether the bye week counts in any way.

Either way, if they had 5 weeks, they have roughly 3 weeks left to have him start practicing, then another 3 weeks after that. So since the article is saying it's 3 weeks until they have to decide whether to add him to the 53, the article is wrong.
Correct, he has to start practicing by Nov 22nd but he can stay off the roster for 3 more weeks before he is added to the 53 man roster.....if he doesn't start practicing by Week 11 or playing by Week 14 he cannot return though

AzorAhai

Reaction score

The bye is irrelevant. They go by the week of the nfl season. They ultimately have until the day after the 14th week, or the Tuesday following Dallas' 13th game for him to be added to the roster or IR.