CFZ A Dose of Reality

T-RO

Reaction score
Coaches are 100% reliant on the great QB.

Shanahan in SF says hello. (Jimmy Garoppolo, Mr. Irrelevant)
Bill Parcells also sends his greetings (made playoffs with Quincy Carter, Testaverde; won a super bowl with Hostetler.)
Troy Aikman also sends Christmas cheer. He credits the arrival of OC Norv Turner and the culture-setting leadership of Jimmy Johnson for Dallas's 90's success.

Aikman's words on coach Norv:
"There's no doubt in my mind that if Norv had not entered my life, I wouldn't be joining these men in the Pro Football Hall of Fame today. He meant that much to my career and to the Dallas Cowboys. Norv came to Dallas as an offensive coordinator in 1991, my third season, and turned around one of the worst offenses in the league."
Aikman's words on Jimmy Johnson:
"What struck me most about Jimmy was his fearlessness,"Aikman said. "Some coaches play not to lose. Jimmy always played to win. Some guard against overconfidence. Jimmy insisted on it. Jimmy's boldness set the tone for a young group of players who didn't know much about winning but were eager to learn. Jimmy was the right coach at the right time for the Dallas Cowboys, and I'm grateful to have been given the opportunity to play for him.

Wangchung83

Reaction score
It will be funny if Dak wins a couple of them. I will find it very amusing.
He won’t l, don’t worry. He’s got his contract that either allows the excuse that the defense didn’t do its job(no money on that side of the ball for 20+ years) or we spend on defense and dak loses what he has(downgrade oline, receivers, rb with huge contracts, etc). So my bet is Dak won’t win, bc he would have had to have gone further on his rookie deal:/. Just sayin, I’m hoping I’m wrong, but until then I’m calling like I see it. He’s not elevating anyone around him and it’s going to take a great d with weapons around him on offense.

Wangchung83

Reaction score
Two food-for-thought questions:

-Did Elway only "become a winner" at the end of his career, when the Broncos won the Super Bowl? Many would say that was in truth one of John's worst playoff games, going 12-22 for only 123 yards. He was a loser or a choker until then, but then after that very mediocre game he was suddenly "a winner?"

-Jim Kelly would have been a winner had Scott Norwood's last-second field goal not drifted "wide right" in Super Bowl XXV? But he's a choker, or less than all-time great because of the Bills kicker?
Dak isn’t elway 0r Kelly those are facts. Ekway went to Super Bowl year 4, and what 6 of his career. That’s pretty deep runs and won 2 before checking out. Known to have one of best arms of all time and dak doesn’t come close to that in stats or arm strength.
Jim Kely: bit was a boss with Thurman and I know I was worried when we played them in a thing vm called a Super Bowl. They won multiple playoff games, which Dak hasn’t even started to show he’s capable of.

Calvin2Tony2Emmitt2Julius

Reaction score
I will make an observation:
I agree this is a team game and QBs get too much of the glory or criticism.
But:
If dak had a better history of performaning well in our playoff losses, I think we would not get the level of criticism he currently gets.

You have the right to believe that, but come on my guy there are those who will hate Dak No matter what . Dak performed valiantly against Green Bay in the playoffs.

You probably, but there are those for whom it's personal and has come to an illogical hatred of the man. Again I have seen your post style and believe you would give the guy a fair assessment

unfortunately we not talking about you.

kskboys

Reaction score
Dak isn’t elway 0r Kelly those are facts. Ekway went to Super Bowl year 4, and what 6 of his career. That’s pretty deep runs and won 2 before checking out. Known to have one of best arms of all time and dak doesn’t come close to that in stats or arm strength.
Jim Kely: bit was a boss with Thurman and I know I was worried when we played them in a thing vm called a Super Bowl. They won multiple playoff games, which Dak hasn’t even started to show he’s capable of.
Lost 3 super bowls before winning the last 2.

Reid1boys

Reaction score
Bill Parcells also sends his greetings (made playoffs with Quincy Carter, Testaverde; won a super bowl with Hostetler.)
Troy Aikman also sends Christmas cheer. He credits the arrival of OC Norv Turner and the culture-setting leadership of Jimmy Johnson for Dallas's 90's success.

"There's no doubt in my mind that if Norv had not entered my life, I wouldn't be joining these men in the Pro Football Hall of Fame today. He meant that much to my career and to the Dallas Cowboys. Norv came to Dallas as an offensive coordinator in 1991, my third season, and turned around one of the worst offenses in the league."
"What struck me most about Jimmy was his fearlessness,"Aikman said. "Some coaches play not to lose. Jimmy always played to win. Some guard against overconfidence. Jimmy insisted on it. Jimmy's boldness set the tone for a young group of players who didn't know much about winning but were eager to learn. Jimmy was the right coach at the right time for the Dallas Cowboys, and I'm grateful to have been given the opportunity to play for him.
Bill Bellichek post Brady sends his regards... invites you to watch the playoffs with him from his couch.

Kingofholland

Reaction score
It's really comes down to coaching, many of the great teams we've had over the last 25 years have been headed by bad head coaches. Wade Phillips and Jason Garrett didn't bring the mental toughness to the team identity to overcome adversity. We wasted Romo years, and the early Dak years with them.

McCarthy is probably the best coach the Cowboys have had over this span, sans Parcells. I think the Cowboys have better mental toughness than in prior years and Dak is good enough to lead this team to a deep playoff run. My main question marks are if Moore can figure out how to be more consistent and if Quinn can reignite the pass rush.

john van brocklin

Captain Comeback
Reaction score
You have the right to believe that, but come on my guy there are those who will hate Dak No matter what . Dak performed valiantly against Green Bay in the playoffs.

You probably, but there are those for whom it's personal and has come to an illogical hatred of the man. Again I have seen your post style and believe you would give the guy a fair assessment

unfortunately we not talking about you.
Yep, there are those here who have drawn a line the sand about Dak.
He would have to win multiple Superbowls to win them over.
He gives us a chance to win most games and that more than most teams can say.

RonnieT24

Reaction score
Or maybe the lions have more than 1 playoff win

Jim Plunkett going from almost out of the league to two time champion says different. Brad Johnson and Trent Dilfer flamed out other places before landing on the right teams.. Bret Favre was going to be Jeff George's backup in ATL before being traded to Green Bay.. Anybody think Matthew Stafford suddenly became a better QB after being traded out of Detroit? Coaching matters.. the situation in which a player toils matters. To pretend otherwise is just soft headed nonsense. No one player has ever won or lost a football game on his own. Yes one can have disproportionate contributions plus or minus. But "won the game singlehandedly" is just a figure of speech.. Because it has never happened in the history of football.

Buzzbait

Reaction score
That's always the perception, and I get it, but a QB can only control what's in his hands. If the defense gets trucked for 273 rushing yards, gives up 30+ points, that's not on him.

Fun fact, the Cowboys have never won a playoff game when the opponent scored 30+ points. That includes Aikman and Staubach. It's a team game.
That's the simple truth Jake. It's hard to win games when your defense allows the other team to score over 30 freaking points.

T-RO

Reaction score
Tua was really horrible last year, and has big time limitations (short, poor arm strength, not elite athlete).

Yet get him a wunderkid offensive mind as coach, bring in Tyreek Hill...Tua was in MVP conversation for awhile. Dolphins were in thick of the race.

Verdict

Reaction score
They’re still playing for HFA. That in itself is a lot of incentive to go all in during a game.

It’s not as if Philly sat Hurts by choice to rest him for the playoffs. The man was injured.
I agree with everything you said.

john van brocklin

Captain Comeback
Reaction score

Good stuff!

john van brocklin

Captain Comeback
Reaction score
Jim Plunkett going from almost out of the league to two time champion says different. Brad Johnson and Trent Dilfer flamed out other places before landing on the right teams.. Bret Favre was going to be Jeff George's backup in ATL before being traded to Green Bay.. Anybody think Matthew Stafford suddenly became a better QB after being traded out of Detroit? Coaching matters.. the situation in which a player toils matters. To pretend otherwise is just soft headed nonsense. No one player has ever won or lost a football game on his own. Yes one can have disproportionate contributions plus or minus. But "won the game singlehandedly" is just a figure of speech.. Because it has never happened in the history of football.
Good insight.