A gift to the Falcons

RS12

Reaction score
That timeout made no difference. Atlanta was not about to let us run all the time off the clock and they kicked a FG with 40 seconds. The pivotal moment was the Devonte Freeman catch and rune before the half.

Pivotal moment was Weeden's interception. Momentum swung there.

CowboyRoy

Reaction score
Yes. Even a novice Madden player would know better than to call that timeout. Bad.

Only in Dallas would Garrett still have a job in the NFL.

Garrett, McFadden, Weeden....................some of the more mystifying talent blunders of Jerry's career. The media was all but laughing at Jerry over his comment about Weeden throwing the prettiest ball he has ever seen. LOL

CowboyRoy

Reaction score
Pivotal moment was Weeden's interception. Momentum swung there.

Absolutely. And that was about as bad as it gets. You get Weeden on the run just a little bit and he cant handle it.

CowboyRoy

Reaction score
you're just so smart, bro. you should be the coach.
how did we got 12-4 and a win a playoff game with an incompetent coach?

We went 12-4 with great coordinators and by Garrett staying out of the way on game day.

Garrett isnt incompetent in all areas, just when it comes to game day management, play calling, personnel......those type of things.

Fanny patting, clapping, coach speak, politics, these are things he is capable. When kept pigeon holed with ONLY these responsibilities, he can be effective in those areas.

Sooooooooooooo do you think Garrett calling a timeout there was a great coaching move or are you just defending your hero against any attack?

LandryFan

Proud Native Texan, USMC-1972-79, USN-1983-2000
Reaction score
This is one of the reasons I am refraining from posting for now. As well as responding to some posts. This board is bad enough to begin with at times. But some of the posts and threads seem to extreme. But I have not read very many , just glanced through them.

There are a handful of posters on here that have well established agendas and they will take every opportunity to attempt to further that agenda. Their position isn't based on anything meaningful other than the drivel they hear in the media or read about on the internet. Their football knowledge level is right up there with that of my 19 month old grand daughter. I sometimes kick myself for opening any thread that they start, but it's kind of like that car wreck up ahead...you know it's not going to be a pretty sight, but you slow down to look anyways.

Idgit

Fattening up
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Yeah, this is pretty much textbook carping after a loss. You can understand using the timeout in that situation, given you're working with your backup QB and you want to get the ball into the end zone. No problem at all with that. The real issue isn't leaving the extra seconds on the clock. The real problem was the defense giving up points on a 40 second drive (or whatever it ended up being). That almost ended in 7, and not just 3.

Idgit

Fattening up
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Guys, even in poorly disguised Jason Garrett Rant threads, it's still important to not let things get personal. Oblique references to other posters aren't really that much different from direct insults. Please be polite.

Idgit

Fattening up
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Ok. Rant thread got out of hand there a bit. Hopefully we'll be able to keep it civil now that CowboyRoy is taking an opportunity to cool his jets and review the forum guidelines.

It's perfectly ok to discuss how the use of a timeout may or may not have been a good move on Jason Garrett's part. Please let's try to do with without calling the people we disagree with clowns or morons or whatever. Just try to win the argument with an actual argument. Thanks.

erod

Reaction score
Garrett must still be in "training" so all if well because he will master time management very soon.Garrett got a BIG extension in the Off Season so there are no excuses. Romo is not there to save his butt. Other "Great" HCs win games without their starting QBs and other key players present due to injuries. Furthermore, Garrett and second half adjustments just do not seem to work. I do not know if he realizes that sometimes your game plans need to change during football games. Princeton Smart - Football Stupid.

Romo, Dez, Gregory, Hardy, Mincey, Scandrick, McClain, other McClain.....

PAINFROMUKRAINE

Reaction score
Only in Dallas would Garrett still have a job in the NFL.

Garrett, McFadden, Weeden....................some of the more mystifying talent blunders of Jerry's career. The media was all but laughing at Jerry over his comment about Weeden throwing the prettiest ball he has ever seen. LOL

This is a true fact. I saw a stat last night that Harbargh and Fox were the only Head Coaches to have over 40 Wins in their first 4 years with a team and not be there for the 5th year. If Denver and SF can have high standards for Coaching then why can't the Cowboys. Elway said that it was a failed season for not winning the Super Bowl. Fox was fired. Plain and Simple. Yet, Dallas with an elite QB like Romo, has time for a "novice" Head Coach that is always in "the Training Mode". For a World Class Organization, this is an embarrassment and not the correct way to build a Super Bowl Contender. Furthermore. Injuries are part of the game and the real "Head Coaches" know how to handle adversity (aka Injuries) with minimal effect on the Team.

Idgit

Fattening up
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
This is a true fact. I saw a stat last night that Harbargh and Fox were the only Head Coaches to have over 40 Wins in their first 4 years with a team and not be there for the 5th year. If Denver and SF can have high standards for Coaching then why can't the Cowboys. Elway said that it was a failed season for not winning the Super Bowl. Fox was fired. Plain and Simple. Yet, Dallas with an elite QB like Romo, has time for a "novice" Head Coach that is always in "the Training Mode". For a World Class Organization, this is an embarrassment and not the correct way to build a Super Bowl Contender. Furthermore. Injuries are part of the game and the real "Head Coaches" know how to handle adversity (aka Injuries) with minimal effect on the Team.

Garrett would have another HC job next season if he were let go in Dallas. Only he was extended here, instead of being let go.

I'd dispute the rest of the post, but it's pretty much just the amorphous stuff we heard for years here. Anything new from the game yesterday? I mean, apart from the apparently unforgivable sin of calling a timeout to make sure he got into the end zone on the other side of the field before we coughed up the quick score on the other end?

Idgit

Fattening up
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Broaddus' take on the timeout. Unsurprisingly, he's not as harsh as the OP was, either.

At the time I saw it from the press box, I had my questions why Jason Garrett would use a timeout right before the end of the half with the ball on the Atlanta goal line. If Tony Romo had been on the field, Garrett would have most likely taken another 15-20 seconds off the clock, then called the time out. By calling the timeout when he did, Garrett accomplished two things: he was able to get the right personnel on the field for the situation, but he could have also wanted to save Brandon Weeden some clock in case the first down run failed. What Garrett didn’t account for in his clock management was the possibility of two Atlanta plays that went for 50 yards – which happened.

CrownCowboy

Reaction score
I don't care what hypotheticals you people want to put out there about how the timeout and field goal before the half didn't contribute to the outcome of the game.

The bottomeline is that it was an idiotic decision that enabled the Falcon's to have time to put points on the board before halftime. It would be a tad easier to let go but for the fact that this is hardly the first time something like this with the clock has happened with Garrett.

We lost the game because our team is a walking medical ward, that's obvious, but the timeout at the goalline and the gameplan in the 2nd half leaves alot to be desired from this coaching staff and they are valid concerns.

Idgit

Fattening up
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Correction, Tony Romo is hurt. Rowdy runs this team.