Video: A good detailed video of Byron Jones CB Traits

conner01

Reaction score
I value CB more than safety so never really thought he should have moved
I know they just wanted to get best 4 back there but I rather have guys in the spot they are best at

silvrNblue

Reaction score
I think most of us who pay attention know Jone's is NOT a S, he IS a CB. This is just more evidence the clapping moron has no clue how to use his players to THEIR strengths! I said it all last season, they have screwed the pooch moving players all over to fill the gaps. Just plain *** stupid. Ask your self about our oh so great O-line... what happened last season, other then 2 players leaving, and why was it so piss poor protecting Dak.... easy answer, we had less then viable replacements for Leary and the other LT who retired, BUT also clapper MOVED guys out of their main stays and as is par the course for that idiot, never adjusted anything to "fix" what he Facked up!
We HAVE got to dumb the clapping carrot... end of story.

McKDaddy

Reaction score
Nicely done Kazz!! I have learned over the years there are guys who can play in space & guys who can't. It's just the way it is. Its foolish to ask them to do different than their nature. It's almost like finding a unicorn to find one who can do both at a high level.
Byron clearly struggles with floating as a safety. But you put him in man or even small area zone & he plays pretty darn well. If he can truly give us another starting caliber corner & we can find consistency at the safety spot, things are going to get fun.
One thing that I really like about Byron & our young guys is being able to play the ball with the off hand without creating PI. That is one of the areas where length & athleticism shows up.

jazzcat22

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I think most of us who pay attention know Jone's is NOT a S, he IS a CB. This is just more evidence the clapping moron has no clue how to use his players to THEIR strengths! I said it all last season, they have screwed the pooch moving players all over to fill the gaps. Just plain *** stupid. Ask your self about our oh so great O-line... what happened last season, other then 2 players leaving, and why was it so piss poor protecting Dak.... easy answer, we had less then viable replacements for Leary and the other LT who retired, BUT also clapper MOVED guys out of their main stays and as is par the course for that idiot, never adjusted anything to "fix" what he Facked up!
We HAVE got to dumb the clapping carrot... end of story.

They ruined more players, and the game suffered because of it, but moving players around way too much. Been saying that for years.

The OL, I could see that move, but they did a poor job of the back ups. I expect the OL play to be better for several reasons, it will be their 2nd year together, as chemistry means a lot. If they sign Cooper. Though an upgrade is needed. We have a new and better OL coach in Alexander. If they draft OL early though, I am fine with that. Last years moves looked like a disaster, but it had to do with Smith's injuries more than anything else.

Dak must have that protection and time, as he holds onto the ball longer than he should. of course with Zeke back and knowing he will be there week to week, teams just can't line up and come after Dak.

silvrNblue

Reaction score
Your right jazzcat, there's a video out that compares last season to this one in reference to Dak's play. And what it come's down to was just out right gutless play from the likes of green and the other numpty they inserted, add to that moving our pieces around like a chess board and it spelled disaster for Dak Prescott...just remember the Atlanta game, the wheels totally fell off, and you could SEE Dak's utter disgust in that game...

jterrell

Penguinite
Reaction score
Various notes:
Byron Jones was more athlete than player when drafted. Everyone knew that.
He had played a variety of roles at UConn.
Here at the time we had prime Carr/Mo/Scandrick and he couldn't beat those guys out.... the best place to put a rookie on the field was safety.
And we had struggled with interchangeable run crushing type safeties who were lacking in coverage.

Sometimes the criticism the team receives is absolutely warranted.
Other times it really is just one long deafening cry of the uninformed led by a media that want to appear smarter than they are and create talking points.

But now as we have added a DB coach who loves tall CBs of course it makes sense to re-evaluate BJ's best positional fit in a revamped secondary.

But again calling him terrible at safety seems a fairly large stretch given he was ranked top 20 by PFF and by the Bleacher Report NFL1000 scouting guys.
His best ability is his speed which allows him to cover sideline to sideline as a deep middle guy. He also is good as a blitzer with his speed and length and jumping ability.
He can man cover guys in his size area but struggles with quickness and size out of the slot. He is a grab and wrap up type tackler.
Athletically he is top notch.
But he has limitations in his instincts and play-making.
Like a lot of really good athletes he almost always gets to the spot but doesn't always make the play.
Heath has come on as a rather opposite guy. He makes plays but can be caught out of position.

It's a long off-season and we have not much better to do than examine guys for sure...
But, Richard is here to elevate our secondary and let's let him do his work without assuming we are the experts.

silvrNblue

Reaction score
{quote}
It's a long off-season and we have not much better to do than examine guys for sure...
But, Richard is here to elevate our secondary and let's let him do his work without assuming we are the experts.

HEY speak for yourself, we is ALL self made experts around this hea place!!! LOL

CyberB0b

Village Idiot
Reaction score
He can cover tight ends, but that doesn't make him a corner. He is too grabby when playing press and doesn't play well in space. There was a reason why they moved him from corner after his rookie year.

Holding on for dear life:

6JWSwL4.jpg

kskboys

Reaction score
He is going to get destroyed at CB
He'll prolly be fine in zone, but I don't see him having the ability to man up when necessary. He has the speed and burst to cover straight routes, yes, but it looked to me like he loses a step in transition.

If they move him to corner, I dang sure hope I'm wrong!!!

glimmerman

Reaction score
Jones rookie year he was runner up for defensive rookie of the year. He played corner.

glimmerman

Reaction score
But don’t that mean we pick up his 5th year option. Like 9 million? We are losing Scandy.

Nightman

Capologist
Reaction score
Various notes:
Byron Jones was more athlete than player when drafted. Everyone knew that.
He had played a variety of roles at UConn.
Here at the time we had prime Carr/Mo/Scandrick and he couldn't beat those guys out.... the best place to put a rookie on the field was safety.
And we had struggled with interchangeable run crushing type safeties who were lacking in coverage.

Sometimes the criticism the team receives is absolutely warranted.
Other times it really is just one long deafening cry of the uninformed led by a media that want to appear smarter than they are and create talking points.

But now as we have added a DB coach who loves tall CBs of course it makes sense to re-evaluate BJ's best positional fit in a revamped secondary.

But again calling him terrible at safety seems a fairly large stretch given he was ranked top 20 by PFF and by the Bleacher Report NFL1000 scouting guys.
His best ability is his speed which allows him to cover sideline to sideline as a deep middle guy. He also is good as a blitzer with his speed and length and jumping ability.
He can man cover guys in his size area but struggles with quickness and size out of the slot. He is a grab and wrap up type tackler.
Athletically he is top notch.
But he has limitations in his instincts and play-making.
Like a lot of really good athletes he almost always gets to the spot but doesn't always make the play.
Heath has come on as a rather opposite guy. He makes plays but can be caught out of position.

That is the fairest evaluation I have ever seen of BJones

He has done nothing but what the team has asked from him and done it pretty well even as a rookie

FS is one of the hardest jobs in football and we expect our young guy to immediately be DWoodson or Ed Reed

How bout just telling the kid "Thanks" or "Good Job"

nyc-cowboy

Reaction score
Could someone tell the guy who made the video that covering a TE is a wee bit diff that covering a WR.

Not saying he can't be a decent CB but I dont see him being anywhere near a Sherman level.