Video: A good detailed video of Byron Jones CB Traits

northerncowboynation

Reaction score
Damn, how many slot corners does this team need? The secondary has lots of moving parts. Woods was used in the slot and S. Now talking Chido possibly playing safety and Jones playing CB. I like the video but like everything else, if you want to prove a point you can do it with any video. Good job to the OP though. Really good job in posting that. hey as long as Richards turns Byron into Richard Sherman and not Bobby Sherman, I'm good with that:laugh:

jterrell

Penguinite
Reaction score
Jones rookie year he was runner up for defensive rookie of the year. He played corner.
He played both as a rookie and they decided he was a safety.

I can't link the interview he did at season's end with Ben and Skin here but yo van google it easily enough:
Byron Jones on his rookie season being 'a good wake-up call'

MCMetal69

Reaction score
I value CB more than safety so never really thought he should have moved
I know they just wanted to get best 4 back there but I rather have guys in the spot they are best at

I'm not convinced of that ; a great safety ala Ed Reed allows corners to play fast & loose because of his own playmaking ability.The young Cowboy's secondary could be even better with a good to great safety covering for them..................

conner01

Reaction score
I'm not convinced of that ; a great safety ala Ed Reed allows corners to play fast & loose because of his own playmaking ability.The young Cowboy's secondary could be even better with a good to great safety covering for them..................
All you need is a HOF safety and that’s true
But in general CB’s are more impactful than safeties
Exceptions being all time great safeties

CATCH17

1st Round Pick
Reaction score
If this video was supposed to make him look great then it was a huge success

I don't get the hate at all

I kinda get the hate.

He's not that great and he was a first round pick.

He's not that bad either. He's definitely not a bust.

People have to take into consideration his age. He's young and there is still hope and he's definitely not in over his head.

I think they should move him back to corner but I think this all depends on how they draft.

glimmerman

Reaction score
He played both as a rookie and they decided he was a safety.

I can't link the interview he did at season's end with Ben and Skin here but yo van google it easily enough:
Byron Jones on his rookie season being 'a good wake-up call'
I think they made a mistake doing full time safety with him. If they exercise this 5th year option its gonna be costly. I would move him back and forth again. He seemed more productive. He can cover slot or TE pretty good.

glimmerman

Reaction score
I kinda get the hate.

People have to take into consideration his age. He's young and there is still hope and he's definitely not in over his head.

I think they should move him back to corner but I think this all depends on how they draft.
I was hoping Ben would hit harder. One thing I like about Heath is that he will hit you.

xwalker

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan

really good detailed video of Jones CB skills

The guy that does these videos is a moron.

The plays he picked to prove his point were terrible choices and proved nothing good or bad.

He picks a goalline play to show that a free Safety can't stand up an NFL RB by himself.

Then he uses coverage of a TE to prove Jones is great in man coverage. Even the best receiving TEs are not the same as an NFL WR.

Finally the fact that Jones is super fast chasing down a RB proves nothing about his coverage ability.

I do think Jones can be decent at CB but this video is not proof of anything.

Nightman

Capologist
Reaction score
I kinda get the hate.

Until I see a FS on the roster that can beat him out I will keep him at FS

Cheeto, JLewis, ABrown have established a good set of CBs and Frazier, Heath and Woods can handle the rest

stilltheguru88

Reaction score
Until I see a FS on the roster that can beat him out I will keep him at FS

Cheeto, JLewis, ABrown have established a good set of CBs and Frazier, Heath and Woods can handle the rest
Woods will beat him out. The play Woods made on Kelce is better than anything Jones ever did in his career. Heath is better suited for FS as well and he’s better than Byron as a FS. Jones is only the best player on the tram to guard tight ends.

Nightman

Capologist
Reaction score
Woods will beat him out. The play Woods made on Kelce is better than anything Jones ever did in his career. Heath is better suited for FS as well and he’s better than Byron as a FS. Jones is only the best player on the tram to guard tight ends.
No way

btcutter

Reaction score
Big CB who does a good job covering athletic TE definitely has a role on any team! Teams are always using TE to exploit defense weakness at LB/S.

It's really the fault of our coaches who cannot utilize his skill set or help expand it.

I really would try to extend Jones to a cap friendly contract for 3-4 years. Our coaches do not know how to maximize the skills of their players. Hopefully with the next DB coach Jones will be better (hard to be worse).

kskboys

Reaction score
Could someone tell the guy who made the video that covering a TE is a wee bit diff that covering a WR.

Not saying he can't be a decent CB but I dont see him being anywhere near a Sherman level.
I was actually a little shocked at how bad the vid was in trying to promote him as corner. There was pretty much nothing in there to signify that.