Video: A good detailed video of Byron Jones CB Traits

Jinxx13x

Reaction score
Great video great post quick someone send this video to garrets office !

buybuydandavis

Reaction score
The plays he picked to prove his point were terrible choices and proved nothing good or bad.

Then he uses coverage of a TE to prove Jones is great in man coverage. Even the best receiving TEs are not the same as an NFL WR.

Yeah, the premise of the thread is off. Showing man coverage on TEs doesn't tell you much about man coverage of WRs.

I wonder how often Byron was even put in man coverage of WRs last year. I wouldn't think that often.

dogunwo

Franchise Tagged
Reaction score
I skipped around and stopped watching when I saw "Richard Sherman is what Jones can be"
Translation: I hate Byron Jones so despite any video evidence supporting the opposite of what I think I'm going to be stuck in my opinion.

The Natural

Reaction score
Translation: I hate Byron Jones so despite any video evidence supporting the opposite of what I think I'm going to be stuck in my opinion.
3 years of film doesnt lie. Enjoy his last year playing football before he hits the old navy modeling line.

nyc-cowboy

Reaction score
Thats just it - its not really "video evidence".

Generally speaking,TE play closer to the line of scrimmage, so obviously Jones can be much more aggressive, especially with TE being slower he doesn't really have to worry about a double move as he does with a much quicker WR.

Ken

Reaction score
I have been saying he wasn't a safety since like the 3rd game of 2016. It was very obvious.

It drives me nuts that he should have like 10 its right now but he refuses to stop being scared and only knock the ball down.

I think he can play man and cover T Es and big wrs...i don't think he has the instincts to play zone and I wonder how he would do playing corner against other types of wrs.

Leadbelly

Reaction score
He might be a CB but more than anything the video says to me he's not a CB who will get you INTs.

dogunwo

Franchise Tagged
Reaction score
Thats just it - its not really "video evidence".

Generally speaking,TE play closer to the line of scrimmage, so obviously Jones can be much more aggressive, especially with TE being slower he doesn't really have to worry about a double move as he does with a much quicker WR.
My point is more along the lines of you won't even look at the video because you already hate Byron Jones. Whether or not the video is proof is irrelevant to my point.

nyc-cowboy

Reaction score
My point is more along the lines of you won't even look at the video because you already hate Byron Jones. Whether or not the video is proof is irrelevant to my point.
Yes I see your point but my guess is a lot of people around here already know his game and dont need to look at the video. Now maybe a better video to put up would have been titled "Jones going up against WRs"

But yes I'm sure there are some that just hate the guy and won't look at anything.

BigD5

Reaction score
He can cover tight ends, but that doesn't make him a corner. He is too grabby when playing press and doesn't play well in space. There was a reason why they moved him from corner after his rookie year.

Holding on for dear life:

6JWSwL4.jpg
But he doesn’t get very many holding or PI calls against him

FuzzyLumpkins

The Boognish
Reaction score
The guy that does these videos is a moron.

The plays he picked to prove his point were terrible choices and proved nothing good or bad.

He picks a goalline play to show that a free Safety can't stand up an NFL RB by himself.

Then he uses coverage of a TE to prove Jones is great in man coverage. Even the best receiving TEs are not the same as an NFL WR.

Finally the fact that Jones is super fast chasing down a RB proves nothing about his coverage ability.

I do think Jones can be decent at CB but this video is not proof of anything.

You only watched the first couple of minutes is all I take from this post. He showed all 3 of the matchups including WR matchups which to me is a comprehensive look.

Jones got trucked and carried into the red zone by the RB. The author pointed out how Jones was too light and tackled too high. In contrast, Frazier was able to make plays like that and I don't know what planet you are from but on mine I want S that can make solo tackles in space.

He also never said that him catching Ajayi demonstrated he was good in coverage. He said that it showed his athleticism. The context was him whiffing at the poa coming up in run support for the run.

What I am seeing is a trend of people that are getting a take they don't want ot hear or consider and are shutting the video down before finishing.

kskboys

Reaction score
You only watched the first couple of minutes is all I take from this post. He showed all 3 of the matchups including WR matchups which to me is a comprehensive look.

Jones got trucked and carried into the red zone by the RB. The author pointed out how Jones was too light and tackled too high. In contrast, Frazier was able to make plays like that and I don't know what planet you are from but on mine I want S that can make solo tackles in space.

He also never said that him catching Ajayi demonstrated he was good in coverage. He said that it showed his athleticism. The context was him whiffing at the poa coming up in run support for the run.

What I am seeing is a trend of people that are getting a take they don't want ot hear or consider and are shutting the video down before finishing.
I watched the entire video.

What I saw was almost zero evidence that Byron can play CB at an NFL level. Now, maybe he can and maybe he can't, but the video didn't seem to prove much of anything.

thisiscowboyscountry

Reaction score
It seems Jones played much better as a rookie when he was being moved all around the field at cb and s. You can still play him in a hybrid role locking him up with a TE or playing more man corner. I like the young dbs right now, but need to find a legit safety to pair with the winner of the Woods/Frazier/Heath battle. Dream scenario is Earl Thomas, even though its not likely to happen.

Awuzie, Lewis, Jones, and Brown at CB with Earl Thomas and some combo of the other 3 safeties feels like a good group on paper.

xwalker

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan

Jones came in from the side. No DB is going to make that tackle.

The guy went on and on about Jones at CB while he was covering TEs.

He did reference CB when pointing out Jones catching the RB.

I agree that Jones would likely be good at CB but nothing the guy in the video said really proves it.

It's not surprising that you would like the guy that did the video since he does talk like Dez.

FuzzyLumpkins

The Boognish
Reaction score
Jones came in from the side. No DB is going to make that tackle.

The guy went on and on about Jones at CB while he was covering TEs.

He did reference CB when pointing out Jones catching the RB.

I agree that Jones would likely be good at CB but nothing the guy in the video said really proves it.

It's not surprising that you would like the guy that did the video since he does talk like Dez.

Your racism is showing. At least now we know the basis for your opposition.

Plenty of DBs could have made that tackle particularly if they had gone for the legs and driven through.

He was saying that dealing with TE jams would make it easy for him to deal with WR jam. That was about it.

xwalker

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Your racism is showing.
You're calling me racist because I lumped the guy in with your favorite player?

It's well known that you're the #1 fan of Dez.

I must have really been racist when I constantly praised Parnell and criticized Free...