Recommended A good man in charge

KJJ

You Have an Axe to Grind
Reaction score
Here's a question after the Cowboys finished 5-3 under Garrett as the interim HC in 2010 with Kitna and Stephen McGee at QB how many expected the Cowboys to do no better than 8-8 under Garrett his next 2 full seasons with a healthy Tony Romo?

jobberone

Kane Ala
Reaction score
Well, if the NY Times said it then you can hook that rooster to the train. :cool:

CoCo

Reaction score
Everyone can line-up quotes from here to next week and it really proves nothing. I've long believed there is more than one way to skin a cat.No single formula. I think the NFL who's who in coaching clearly illustrates that.

I like the direction the team seems to be headed under Garrett. The FO seems to be productive. The roster seems to be improving. The players seem to respond to him. I even like that he isn't so resolute that he refuses change. He's a life-long learner type. I get that some will claim none of this matters because the record is unchanged. I think its coming but understand those who don't believe.

I also don't think it would necessarily be disasterous for this team to change HC's. No one is irreplacebale. Garrett certainly isn't. So much of course would depend on who succeeds him. Lots of good coaches out there (not necessarily available).

Many claim this is Garrett's watershed season. It still comes down to the talent for me and this work-in-progress O-line still very much concerns me. Garrett and company certainly have some responsibility for this. Though I appreciate the pick of Smith, and Frederick, I am still concerned by what we DIDN'T DO after Frederick in this year's draft - choosing to stake our claim with those returning. I've heard all the "stick to your board" "who we didn't like" etc. In the end I think we're all running out of patience with this unit and Garrett and his staff are responsible. Hope for all our sakes it works out this year.

Risen Star

Likes Collector
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Maybe he can print this out for his resume when he's fired after this year.

WV Cowboy

Waitin' on the 6th
Reaction score
I really enjoyed the OP.

If we go 12-4 or 11-5 it will become a classic post. The beginning of the next page of Cowboys history.

But if we do another 8-8, it will have lost it's ummph.

It's in the Cowboys hands.

john van brocklin

Captain Comeback
Reaction score
The Packers didn't feel at ease under Lombardi they feared him. I'm sure the Pats don't feel at ease under Belichick he doesn't take any crap and although he sounds dead during his pressers he comes alive on game day. Players didn't feel at ease under Landry he had that look he could give a player and was in charge of his roster. The Cowboys certainly didn't feel at ease under Jimmy he scared the hell out of his players.

Players seem to perform better when they have some fear in them. Fear is the greatest motivator which is why the best the Cowboys have performed under Garrett was when Jerry hired him as the interim HC and scolded the team after firing Wade telling everyone they were playing for their jobs.

Until we see better clock management, we need to keep the annointing oil on the shelf.

Eskimo

Reaction score
Here's a question after the Cowboys finished 5-3 under Garrett as the interim HC in 2010 with Kitna and Stephen McGee at QB how many expected the Cowboys to do no better than 8-8 under Garrett his next 2 full seasons with a healthy Tony Romo?

The big difference was turnovers. We caused an incredible number of turnovers in the second half of that season from some changes that Garrett and coach P put in place to stop the defense from collapsing the way it had the past 3 games. Those changes led to about 2.5 turnovers per game the rest of the year and gave the offense short fields that it took advantage of to score a bunch of points.

Now the last two years Rob Ryan tried to install his defense and minorly improved some statistical rankings and did improve points allowed by a decent margin. However, he just couldn't force any turnovers.

I really do believe the rate of TOs we were forcing in late 2010 was probably not sustainable with that scheme and with those players. But I also certainly believe the inability to generate turnovers is a large reason why Rob Ryan was fired. His defense just wasn't getting the job done and wasn't showing signs of major improvement even in the first 10 games of the year before the defense was decimated.

The problem was identified and drastic changes have been made on the defensive side of the ball. Some minor changes have also been made offensively to improve performance. I am eagerly anticipating a much improved team this year.

Redball Express

All Aboard!!!
Reaction score
Jason Garrett looks incredibly relaxed. Genuinely happy. Comfortable and in charge of his world.

Here's a guy we thought suffered through an awkwardly and brutally uncomfortable offseason. Brother got canned, hand-picked coaches appointed to him, ducking Jerry during a drunken postseason episode of Gailey and Campo flashbacks. Off to his room without any supper, sentenced to clean out the garage. Jason messed up really good this time.

Or so we all thought.

Oh I think he's a good guy..no problem..
just the best HC we could have right now..?
no..

We could be doing better. I think the team will go thru the motions again under Garrett and underachieve.
This is reminding me of the Dave Campo years.

One of Jerrah's handpicked choices to put the plan in place. too.

We'll see. Hope like heck I'm wrong but it's been 16+ years now.

Long stretch I never thought I'd ever see.

erod

Reaction score
I really enjoyed the OP.

If we go 12-4 or 11-5 it will become a classic post. The beginning of the next page of Cowboys history.

But if we do another 8-8, it will have lost it's ummph.

It's in the Cowboys hands.

Yep. LOL

My neck's out this season. I've been a bit of curmudgeon in recent years, but I think this is close to primed for a championship run. I certainly think its ready to win a division. If the offensive line could come together, it's a top 5 team in the league. Lot of work to be done there.

cowboys1981

Reaction score
The team looks completely different. Garrett is doing a good job and I see the difference of players we have on our roster. Our entire starting secondary from a few years ago are long gone and replaced with Mo, Carr, Church, Allen, and I have a hunch our stating tandem at the safety spots down the road will be Wilcox and Johnson. I know we fell short of the the playoffs, but I also know a depleted team took us all the way to wk 17.

Those who say JJ and Landry won right away are wrong. Just look at the stats.

Well written post and I know this team will turn some heads this year and make non believers out of those who will jump back on the band wagon.

khiladi

Reaction score
And you think the fact that Callahan is the OC/OL coach means Garrett is less involved in game planning? The only thing that's changed is he's not calling all the plays now during the game. The offensive game planning hasn't changed. Many are involved as it should be. Calling the plays game day is important but it's not even half the job of running the offense. This isn't protecting or being a Garrett fan....this is stating facts. I don't care who calls the plays. I care if the offense is effective and score points.

Look, the reality is he was demoted and there is nothing his defenders can do to spin it away. The OC duties were stripped away from him, whether or not he is still 'involved' in the game planning. That was the basis from which people allegedly claimed was his greatness. People argued from the strength of his alleged 'playbook' as further proof of this, yet he couldn't even dig deep into it to be a successful playcaller. It is what it is, and his cheerleaders need to accept the fact that all their Garrett-love was a myth. I mean he can turn out to be a great HC that delegates one day, but that doesn't mean it happened by design and part of some great overall plan, like you people want us to believe.

People within the organization giving organization speech doesn't change this reality either. Claiming He was for it, after the fact, isn't proof either, especially when all signs before point to the exact opposite, among them Romo not being allowed more input into the game-planning. i mean people want to talk personnel and Jerry over-ruled Garrett on taking Frederik and all signs pointed to Garrett at Tom being angry as hell. And Jerry over-ruled Garrett based upon what Marinelli said regarding Floyd, i.e. the best defensive line coach probably in the league.

Reality

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Look, the reality is he was demoted and there is nothing his defenders can do to spin it away. The OC duties were stripped away from him, whether or not he is still 'involved' in the game planning. That was the basis from which people allegedly claimed was his greatness. People argued from the strength of his alleged 'playbook' as further proof of this, yet he couldn't even dig deep into it to be a successful playcaller. It is what it is, and his cheerleaders need to accept the fact that all their Garrett-love was a myth. I mean he can turn out to be a great HC that delegates one day, but that doesn't mean it happened by design and part of some great overall plan, like you people want us to believe.

People within the organization giving organization speech doesn't change this reality either. Claiming He was for it, after the fact, isn't proof either, especially when all signs before point to the exact opposite, among them Romo not being allowed more input into the game-planning. i mean people want to talk personnel and Jerry over-ruled Garrett on taking Frederik and all signs pointed to Garrett at Tom being angry as hell. And Jerry over-ruled Garrett based upon what Marinelli said regarding Floyd, i.e. the best defensive line coach probably in the league.

I wish I could be demoted to head coach :D

/reality

khiladi

Reaction score
It's clear that Garrett supporters believe he is akin to a Prophet. I mean the rabid defense of his lack of emotion and stoic personality being the sign of a genius was the very same flaw they claimed Wade Phillips suffered from is evidence of that. For Garrett, it's being like Tom Landry, for other coaches, it's a sign of being clueless. They're homerism doesn't even fail to realize that examples of RKGs like Sean Lee are actually picks of Wade Phillips.

I swear, I think it's the way he looks that people like him. They think he looks like a coach, whatever that means, which is why they try so hard to make it appear that he has greatness. He looks like a politician to me.

khiladi

Reaction score
I wish I could be demoted to head coach :D

/reality

I wish I had his job as well. JG, was offered high-end pay, without a proven track record. And now he's been demoted and still getting paid, wiithout even a dock in his pay. I guess that's the perks of having your father tied into the organization for such a long time and further, Jerry is trying so hard to make this pick succeed, because it would make him look like a genius. I mean the story-line is incredible if you think about it.

If it was some other no-name guy, everybody on this forum would be calling for his head.

Reality

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I wish I had his job as well. JG, was offered high-end pay, without a proven track record. And now he's been demoted and still getting paid, wiithout even a dock in his pay. I guess that's the perks of having your father tied into the organization for such a long time and further, Jerry is trying so hard to make this pick succeed, because it would make him look like a genius. I mean the story-line is incredible if you think about it.

If it was some other no-name guy, everybody on this forum would be calling for his head.

I'm not a big Garrett fan myself, but I do find it funny that fans complained to have play calling taken away from him, and when it was, they now complain that it happened.

Just an FYI .. play-calling was taken away from Sean Payton in New York his last year as offensive coordinator there. Their fans were complaining about him too.

/reality

Avenger

Reaction score
Jason Garrett looks incredibly relaxed. Genuinely happy. Comfortable and in charge of his world.

Here's a guy we thought suffered through an awkwardly and brutally uncomfortable offseason. Brother got canned, hand-picked coaches appointed to him, ducking Jerry during a drunken postseason episode of Gailey and Campo flashbacks. Off to his room without any supper, sentenced to clean out the garage. Jason messed up really good this time.

Or so we all thought.

Just look at him. Bouncing around practice from station to station. No doubt who's in charge of practice, bantering with and confronting players and coaches, one and all. Head up, eyes piercing, ready to pounce on anything askew.

You can tell when someone is hitting their stride.

The offseason PR was handled poorly. But the moves were all right on cue, exactly what the team needed, no doubt in my mind. Jerry took front and center stage, as he does, as we all know by now, but these moves suddenly don't smell of Jerry alone. Not this time.

What's camping in Oxnard right now looks too logical and orchestrated to be the reactionary tomfoolishness of a January Jerry binge. Perhaps it started so, who knows, but the final product strongly hints of a coordinated meeting of minds. Jerry, Jason, Stephen, Lacewell, maybe even Jimmy or another mystery voice.... This was thoughful and strategic in a way that doesn't resemble circuses past.

Garrett is uniquely gifted in an important way. He's able to ignore the barbs and resist the cheese. He's OK if we're wrong and we don't know it. Think about that as posters on this site alone. How much does it bother you when someone is wrong and goes uncorrected? Garrett doesn't care, and in this market with this franchise, that's both admirable and fortunate for his well-being.

Garrett is compared to Landry in his general demeanor. Sure, I can see that. But you can also tell he studied Jimmy and Parcells, and other coaches and leaders he admires and has access to. He's not too Princeton to learn, which is cool. He's very much a willing and open book.

Future results undetermined, my favorite trait of Garrett is that you can tell he's simply a good man. A hard-working, principled, confident head football coach, and an equally committed husband, dad, and friend. You can't say that about many coaches. People in general, for that matter. Some may not care about that, but I certainly do. How you win matters.

Wherever this thing is headed this season, I feel confident that there's a real path in place. Forks in the road appear - see Rob Ryan's departure - but a compass is guiding this thing through the fog.

Only 17 players remain from 2010, playcalling has been reassigned, the 3-4 has been scrap-heaped, Jerry continues to calm his ways, while Garrett steps forward more front and center every day.

Structure and culture. While it still ain't perfect, it's got direction, regardless of what the media parrots regurgitate. Pay them no mind. This feels like a brand new football on Christmas morning to me.

Jerry didn't do that. Nor did Stephen. Credit them both, however, for identifying the man who did. This is Garrett's team now, regardless of what you may hear from people who simply don't measure up to, or even understand, the qualities of Jason Garrett.

Outstanding.

erod

Reaction score

You are just wrong. You don't know how organizations work.

Garrett has a CEO personality. He's an organizer, a true leader, and he sets a culture. That team plays hard - damned hard - in a way it simply did not for Wade Phillips. Wade had the leadership skills of a five-year-old.

Garrett will still build the gameplan; he'll still make all the critical decisions. He just won't make the 2nd-and-7 playcall in the first quarter. He'll be managing the team, the sideline, the staff, while Callahan sits in a quiet room upstairs calling down plays.

Luckily, Garret is above listening to you and I dribble on about something we aren't privileged to truly know. He simply doesn't care what we think, which is a TREMENDOUS character trait of his.

khiladi

Reaction score
I'm not a big Garrett fan myself, but I do find it funny that fans complained to have play calling taken away from him, and when it was, they now complain that it happened.

Just an FYI .. play-calling was taken away from Sean Payton in New York his last year as offensive coordinator there. Their fans were complaining about him too.

/reality

Whose complaining it was taken away from him? I'm quite happy it was. I just think the attempted myth-making out of this guy, who has a great QB as absurd.

As far as Sean Payton, he would have been fired, but he was re-hired by the Dallas Cowboys as an OC. Brian Stewart was demoted and fired the end of the season if I remember correctly. JG on the other hand, is only here as HC because Jerry is invested in making his bone-head move to make him HC, because it would make a nice story.

khiladi

Reaction score
You are just wrong. You don't know how organizations work.

Garrett has a CEO personality. He's an organizer, a true leader, and he sets a culture. That team plays hard - damned hard - in a way it simply did not for Wade Phillips. Wade had the leadership skills of a five-year-old.

Garrett will still build the gameplan; he'll still make all the critical decisions. He just won't make the 2nd-and-7 playcall in the first quarter. He'll be managing the team, the sideline, the staff, while Callahan sits in a quiet room upstairs calling down plays.

Luckily, Garret is above listening to you and I dribble on about something we aren't privileged to truly know. He simply doesn't care what we think, which is a TREMENDOUS character trait of his.

Yes, because you've worked for Garrett and you have inside access to Valley Ranch.

erod

Reaction score
Yes, because you've worked for Garrett and you have inside access to Valley Ranch.

No, because I've run organizations, and I understand what structure and culture is.

It doesn't matter who serves the meal; it's who put the recipe together and who's running the kitchen.