A HUGE "what if?"- Young to Dallas

dbair1967

Arch Defender
Reaction score
sporadic said:
So you are saying that you wouldn't take arguable the BEST athlete in the draft mid-1st round??? That's just plain silly.

who cares what kind of ATHLETE he is? he's a QB...if he doesnt have elite QB skills, he isnt worth a 1st rd draft pick, period.

and Vince Young doesnt have even GOOD QB skills...he is an option QB, plain and simple, and those guys never succeed in the NFL (at least not at QB)

David

dbair1967

Arch Defender
Reaction score
Cowboy_love_4ever said:
We know what Cobra is all about now. *You've been exposed*

What is the big deal with a QB that has the ability to run? What's Anglo America so bitter about? I don't get it....... This guy takes a team with no WRs on it, an okay running game, and all by himself with one of the best QB ratings (passer ratings) and forced his way to a Championship.

Now, I'm going to save this thread and if VY takes a team all the way and wins the SB, I will know that America has an agenda. (Remember, Steve Young could run too)

you are truly living in a revisionist history fantasy land

Texas is one of the most loaded teams in college football, and has been for several years now...the guy was surrounded by 1st day draft picks left and right...he hardly won the championship all by himself

as for the Steve Young comparisons, please...Vince Young doesnt possess HALF th passing ability Steve Young had, Young was also a great college passer at BYU in a highly advanced, pro style passing attack...he wasnt some shotgun, option style QB

David

Jethro75

Reaction score
dblair

How do you know Young will suck? He hasn't even played yet! And his receivers got better as the year went on but still they aren't "that great". I hope he gets drafted by the Titans and can sit and learn from Mcnair. I think Vince redshirted his first year and got the feel of the program. Your way off base if you think the guy will amount to nothing. HE led that team to Championship...PLAIN and SIMPLE!!!

Go Pokes!

Tex

Reaction score
I actually hope he doesnt fall to us. I want him picked at the top so someone else gets pushed down to us.

Tex

SuspectCorner

Still waiting...
Reaction score
it's almost amusing to read vince young referred to as a "poor passer". almost.

he can flick the dang ball 40 yards standing flat-footed - with accuracy. now, his mechanics might not be pretty but... ask me if i give flip. he flat gets it done. good coaching could clear up his mechanical issues.

besides, his 3/4 delivery isn't even an issue with me. i'd just like to see his footwork in the pocket improved.

the guy is an awesome talent. talk of him being drafted as a receiver is just ludicrous. dude's gonna be a weapon at QB.

Alexander

What's it going to be then, eh?
Reaction score
nathanlt said:
In the back of my mind, I wonder if he wants to play for a team with better surrounding talent than the top 10 teams in the draft.

So you are suggesting there is the chance he is sabotaging his own draft rating?

:lmao2:

sporadic

Reaction score
VY is not really an option QB...zone read and classic triple option are two completely different things. And VY is a winner, plain and simple. He is twice the QB that Mike Vick is, and Vick turned a terrible Falcons team into perrinial playoff contenders. I don't understand the blatant hate on VY...am I on texags.com right now?

nathanlt

Reaction score
Alexander said:
So you are suggesting there is the chance he is sabotaging his own draft rating?

:bow:

if it makes for a better career overall, yeah. Elway refused to play for the Colts. He wanted to play elsewhere.

Hey, it's not impossible that he would want to do that. If he could step in and play for a perennial success story, it would give him a chance to compete in the championship much more often than if he played for a basement team.

dfense

Reaction score
My opinion is based solely on watching Young in the Championship game. It's the only time I've seen him play. It looked to me like he had 3 plays called the whole game. Short crossing passes, handoff or run to the right. Especially if he ran, I noticed he would look at his first read and then go. He never stayed very long in the pocket. To me, I thought, their playbook is not very deep.

Derinyar

Reaction score
Young has further to go than most college QB's to become an NFL QB. Thats what worries me about him. The rate of failure for QB's who are playing in pro-style offenses in college is high. Theres almost no failure rate for college QB's playing in a system like UT's last year in the NFL, the reason is almost no QB playing in an offense like that gets drafted as a QB. Vince Young is a great college QB, I think its a far strech to predict him as a great NFL QB right now, but he definately has some potential.

Silverstar

Reaction score
The best thing about Young is not his arm strength or his running ability....which are fantastic!

The best thing I like about him is the confidence he displays on the field time and again. He never looks rattled or shaken up and flicks the ball almost effortlessly. He knew he could make that TD to win the Championship, even though most of the country didn't give him a snowballs chance. He just rolled out of the pocket and ran it in, barely acknowledging his moment in the sun.

As if to say...."what did you expect people?"

Young is a great leader and if Parcells can't see that quality in a QB anymore, then he shouldn't be allowed to evaluate the position in terms of the draft.

burmafrd

Reaction score
There are just too many questions about Young to risk a pick on him.
Intelligence.
ability to adapt to a totally different way of playing.
ability to learn a complicated offense.
ability to change his mechanics at least partly.
Just too many questions.

Chuck 54

Reaction score
bula said:
Bear with this folks .. its a hypothetical.

Given the recent IQ tests on Young, what would happen if these tests results really gain traction and fire up concern about Young's ability to handle a complex offense and he falls to the midddle of the 1st. Does Jerry bite or pass?
I'm no Young fan...on record with that...I'm a Leinart fan.

That said, Young is a special, though still very raw, talent. There's no way he drops out of the top 5, but if he were to drop all the way to #18, We'd be fools not to select him, regardless of our current needs...talented QB's aren't available to the Cowboys often...we passed on Leftwich...if we passed on Young as well, I'd just give up.

When it comes to QBs, it's not just about Parcells last 1-2 years...it's about the next decade of our franchise.

dbair1967

Arch Defender
Reaction score
wayne_motley said:
I'm no Young fan...on record with that...I'm a Leinart fan.

That said, Young is a special, though still very raw, talent. There's no way he drops out of the top 5, but if he were to drop all the way to #18, We'd be fools not to select him, regardless of our current needs...talented QB's aren't available to the Cowboys often...we passed on Leftwich...if we passed on Young as well, I'd just give up.

When it comes to QBs, it's not just about Parcells last 1-2 years...it's about the next decade of our franchise.

not getting Leftiwch is turning out to be absolutely no big deal...the guy is an average QB at best, nothing more at this point...Newman is a better CB than Leftwich is a QB, and its not even close

and Young is nowhere near the passing talent Leftiwch is, so passing on him is certainly no big deal either...the guy is destined to be a huge bust

David

kartr

Reaction score
cobra said:
Some people here believe a quarterback should be a running quarterback. Some people here believe that a team has a better chance of winning with a quarterback who is inclined to take off running. Some people here think Vick is a good quarterback. Some people here like Quincy and thought he offered something to this team.

These are all the same people. And these people all like Vince for the same reasons.

There was no reason at all to support Quincy unless you thought the chance he might run was really valuable. Those who did support him are inclined to support Vince for the same reason.

That's the connection.

Both are poor passers that are not very bright who are athletic and run. Granted, I think Vince is much more talented than Quincy and would choose Vince if I had to take one or the other.

But me, I want to win a Super Bowl at some point. I want a quarterback who understand that his job is to throw the ball and throw the ball well. I want a pocket passer. That is why I am adamantly opposed to Vince as a Cowboy unless they want him to be a WR like Crayton. Vince has no experience in a pro-style offense, has shown no ability to run one, needs serious mechanics work, and has serious question marks of whether he has the mental acumen to read defenses, audible, and run an offense at this level.

Is he a phenomenal athelete? Absolutely. Like I said, give me him as a WR. But not qb.

Earth to Cobra, Steve Young, John Elway were both running qb's and they won super bowls while Marino,Fouts,Kerry Collins have not. Quincy was a mobile pocket passer,not a runner. Vince Young is a touch passer with great running skills and leadership and heart. Bledsoe is a one-dimensional choker and a cry baby. No one in Buffalo wishes Bledsoe to come back cause they knew we wouldn't make the playoffs with him just as they didn't in three years. You sound like a 'style over substance purist' concerning the qb position.

kartr

Reaction score
ComicBookGuy said:
The reason Vince became the player he did is because in the middle of the 2004 season, Mack simplified the Texas offense. He couldn't grasp it up to that point. He had problems making the reads they asked him and he made as many if not more mistakes than plays.

They simplified the offense. Based it off of the shotgun option and he ran with it. His reads were simplified, he began using his tight end far more often. His offense was not a pro-offense. It was closer to a high school offense. In fact, the offense they ran was based off his high school's offense.

I have doubts as to whether or not he can grasp a NFL playbook.

So you're saying that USC was beaten by a high school offense, that's rediculous. Who were the first round receivers and TE's and Rb's on that Texas offense? Vince was the only first round skill person on that team. They said that Javon Walker's low Wonderlic score would prevent him from grasping an NFL offense too. I wouldn't hire VY as my accountant or mathematician, but he can QB for me any day.

kartr

Reaction score
dbair1967 said:
who cares what kind of ATHLETE he is? he's a QB...if he doesnt have elite QB skills, he isnt worth a 1st rd draft pick, period.

and Vince Young doesnt have even GOOD QB skills...he is an option QB, plain and simple, and those guys never succeed in the NFL (at least not at QB)

David

An option qb with 3,000 yards passing and leading in passing efficiency, there aint no such animal.

kartr

Reaction score
Silverstar said:
The best thing about Young is not his arm strength or his running ability....which are fantastic!

The best thing I like about him is the confidence he displays on the field time and again. He never looks rattled or shaken up and flicks the ball almost effortlessly. He knew he could make that TD to win the Championship, even though most of the country didn't give him a snowballs chance. He just rolled out of the pocket and ran it in, barely acknowledging his moment in the sun.

As if to say...."what did you expect people?"

Young is a great leader and if Parcells can't see that quality in a QB anymore, then he shouldn't be allowed to evaluate the position in terms of the draft.

Great Post!

kartr

Reaction score
burmafrd said:
There are just too many questions about Young to risk a pick on him.
Intelligence.
ability to adapt to a totally different way of playing.
ability to learn a complicated offense.
ability to change his mechanics at least partly.
Just too many questions.

There are more questions about Leinart and Cutler than Young. Pro Football Weekly said that Leinart looked like a 'out of shape volleyball player' rather than a qb. His arm strength has also came up too,plus he played in a 'weak defensive conference. As for Cutler, he's the next Kyle Boller. His negatives are decision-making(high int percentage) and throwing the deep ball accurately, plus, he didn't fare well against LSU. If you can't deal with LSU's defense, how you going to deal with the NFL.

Alexander

What's it going to be then, eh?
Reaction score
kartr said:
There are more questions about Leinart and Cutler than Young.

:lmao2:

You are as consistent as the sunrise.

I can buy the Cutler scenario.

But Young versus Leinart?

There is no comparison.